Mind-boggling "Tiger Rag"--Bird, Diz, Tristano (1947)

Larry Kart

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

That track's been out for years...BANDS FOR BONDS!!!!

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=470920

For years? For decades! ;)

I remember hearing this "TIger Rag" to my amazement and fascination on a local jazz radio show (and taping it on cassette) in the late 70s or early 80s. It must have come from the below LP which was the release most widely avilable around here (I bought my copy a couple years later).

https://www.discogs.com/Charlie-Parker-Live-Sessions-1947/release/2305342

This broadcast even figured in the selected discography of Ross Russell's "BIrd Lives" (listing Spotlite 107 as its vinyl release) which I had bought during a school trip to London in 1976.

I'd love to hear the Rudi Blesh "Moldy fig" tracks too.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

But what is that disc in the video?

The label looks like that of an S-D (Steiner-Davis) 78.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I knew John Steiner. Very interesting man. He wound up owning the Paramount label.

I attended a private faculty meeting at the University of Chicago with Ekkehard Jost in 1975. Jost was talking about his book "Free Jazz". We all sat around a table and Jost played some records to make his points. He played something by Schlippenbach and Steiner immediately said "sounds like he's been listening to Cecil Taylor to me".

Edited by Chuck Nessa

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

He played something by Schlippenbach and Steiner immediately said "sounds like he's been listening to Cecil Taylor to me".

I had a short encounter with Ekkehard Jost in a Frankfurt record shop two years before he passed - nice man. But I think German jazzologists were kind of pre-occcupied with pointing out the emancipation of German musicians from their American predecesors (or conteporaries). There was a long radio feature/interview with Schlippenbach last year where he talked at length about Taylor's visit to Berlin and how he invited him to his home, how much he admired his playing .....  

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I had a short encounter with Ekkehard Jost in a Frankfurt record shop two years before he passed - nice man. But I think German jazzologists were kind of pre-occcupied with pointing out the emancipation of German musicians from their American predecesors (or conteporaries). There was a long radio feature/interview with Schlippenbach last year where he talked at length about Taylor's visit to Berlin and how he invited him to his home, how much he admired his playing .....  

Not quite sure what you are saying ... what has Taylor's visit with Schlippenbach have to do with "Tiger Rag"? (and possibly the emancipation of     German musicians from their American predecessors/ contemporaries)? 

41 minutes ago, SMB1968 said:

I'd guess one is equipped with a mono cart, the other one is for stereo.

My guess is that the shorter one's for 45s, the longer one for LPs.  Since 45s were mono until the late '60's, it concurs with what you wrote.

Available on this:

512oP3r5beL.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 1/11/2023 at 2:39 AM, medjuck said:

I was wrong (I often am)-- I don't have the entire concert just the "modern" versions of the songs. Is there a source for the traditionalist versions? 

The entry for 20 September 1947 in the discography below should provide at least a very partial reply:

https://www.jazzdisco.org/this-is-jazz/discography/

Seems like most of what the Rudi Blesh All Star Stompers played on that day remained in the can as of the date of this discography.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I have all those  tracks of two shows of Barry Ulanovs "friendly battle" Bands for Bonds. The first is on Spotlite and that´s where the bop men play them old tunes. Tiger Rag actually has the outing of "Dizzy Atmosphere" on it, since the solos are in A flat. 

On "Sunny Side of the street" in the out chorus they do the bridge of 52nd Street Theme and the outing of that theme. 

The second show where Ulanovs tells about "the great battle we won" has the personnel a bit changed. Diz is replaced by Fats, Allan Eager is added for "Groovin´ High" and Sarah sings "I I have is your´s " , and I think it´s Tommy Potter on bass instead of Ray Brown, and Buddy Rich on drums instead of Max Roach, if I´m right. 
The second show I don´t have on Spotlite, but on "Musidisc" where the first side is the Barry Ulanov stuff, and the side B is the Parker Set of the Carnegie 1949 I think.