Rock's appearance vs Jazz's appearance

Simon Weil

The extreme gushiness for the album exhibited in the reviews I posted of the White Album stands in contrast to Ian MacDonald’s Revolution in the Head. Although he’s not as negative as I thought he was, he felt that the album it hung together well because of the sequencing skills of Lennon, McCartney and George Martin.  He also calls it a masterpiece of programming. However, he said that “mere expert presentation, however, cannot hide the fact that half the tracks on it are poor by earlier standards, or that many of its  lyrics are little more than the lazy navelgazing of pampered recluses.”

Notwithstanding, I’ve ordered the album to see or hear how different the mixes are.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Brad said:

The extreme gushiness for the album exhibited in the reviews I posted of the White Album stands in contrast to Ian MacDonald’s Revolution in the Head. Although he’s not as negative as I thought he was, he felt that the album it hung together well because of the sequencing skills of Lennon, McCartney and George Martin.  He also calls it a masterpiece of programming. However, he said that “mere expert presentation, however, cannot hide the fact that half the tracks on it are poor by earlier standards, or that many of its  lyrics are little more than the lazy navelgazing of pampered recluses.”

Notwithstanding, I’ve ordered the album to see or hear how different the mixes are.

Just listened to Glass Onion and Revolution 1 on Apple Music. Will definitely be purchasing the Super Deluxe box set. Giles Martin hit another home run. That cat is just as masterful as his father was. Maybe even more so. 

28 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Just listened to Glass Onion and Revolution 1 on Apple Music. Will definitely be purchasing the Super Deluxe box set. Giles Martin hit another home run. That cat is just as masterful as his father was. Maybe even more so. 

Are you referring to the version that’s $138 on Amazon. That was a little too expensive for me. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Yes. That is the edition of Sgt. Pepper that I bought. Phenomenal packaging and content. 

Which edition did you get? I believe there were something like four different versions of Sgt. Pepper, but I’m not sure how many this one has. 

There are four different versions also, a deluxe cd version, a regular 3 cd version (the one I ordered), a four LP version (deluxe) and a two LP version. 

I have to admit that the only real reason I’m going for the Super Deluxe is for the hardback book that comes with it. The one in the Sgt. Pepper set is really, really nice. Big, too. Over 100 pages. Even contained information that I didn’t even know. 

The studio outtakes are an interesting listen, but kind of a one and done thing. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, AllenLowe said:

nearly every great artist that I have known or known of  was a mix of gut-reality and detached socio-fantasy. 

I don't believe you can explain Rock wholly in terms of great artists. Rather, in so many cases, the important milestones are achieved by lesser figures operating (as above) within the frame of "a group". There's a magic that helps to creates there and you get a "more than the sum of the parts" effect. So that, with so many (most?) groups, the individual artist (say Lennon, McCartney) never quite achieves that level of creativity.

• 3 months later...

I just started listening last night to the remix of the White Album. Man, the sound really pops on these. Glass Onion, which Scott referred to last year, is simply amazing, plus I'm hearing Ringo's drums like I've never heard them before. I now need to get Sgt Pepper. I hope they keep doing this. 

On 11/11/2018 at 0:33 PM, Brad said:

There are four different versions also, a deluxe cd version, a regular 3 cd version (the one I ordered), a four LP version (deluxe) and a two LP version. 

Is there a mid-level entry point expanded version of The White Album, like the 3CD Pepper?

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for The White Album just now, it seems(?) to imply there's just the regular 2CD version (original album, no bonus tracks I presume?), or else a huge 6CD/1bluray version.

I might bite on a 3CD version  of The White Album (if there even is one), with the main album(s), and the Esher demos (disc 3) -- but I gather there's nothing like that available - ?? (Like it's all-or-nothing, in terms access to bonus material.)

Am I gathering right?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wikipedia got it right, but I would always start in discogs for this type of question.

From Wikipedia:

On 9 November 2018, remixed and expanded editions of The Beatles were released. These sets feature 50 previously unreleased recordings of songs from the album, in addition to the Esher demos recorded at Harrison's house.[179] The four editions are: a three-CD deluxe set, containing the original double album and one CD of Esher demos; a seven-disc super deluxe edition, which adds three CDs of outtakes and a Blu-ray disc; a two-LP edition, comprising the original release; and a four-LP edition, two discs of which contain Esher demos.[180] Following the announcement of these editions in September, a preview containing three versions of "Back in the U.S.S.R." was released on Spotify[181] and iTunes.[182]