2018-19 Hot Stove League

JSngry

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

They’re going to have serious competition from the Phillies and probably the Mets. 

I really wonder whether the Mets could nab him. He'd certainly be the unquestioned star on that roster and he'd still be playing in NY. Not really the same but if he wants to feed his ego he'd be better off in Queens than the Bronx. 

If he didn't go to the Yankees would he think that the Phills will compete sooner than the Mets?  Or just doubt the Mets commitment to winning?  I'd have to say the odds favor the Yankees, than the Phillies, than the Mets, if those are the top 3 with money to burn.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Phils have been seen as the front runners for awhile for him and Harper.  The new Mets GM wants to make a splash so I think they will make a serious push. Phillies made a serous run last year only to fade in the stretch so I think they're a serious contender in the NL East. I think the Braves are the team to beat in the East but it's hard to know until early next year. 

The noise here in San Francisco is that the Giants are going to make a run at Harper. Makes sense, as he could be someone to build around, and the Giants have a desperate need for someone who is alive! The past two years, the Giants players have been dead; how I wished there was a hot-head around (other that Baumgartner going after Puig all the time) to put some fire in the players. Bochy likes a certain style of player, the Buster Posey type, who plays with no emotion, Harper would change that quick.

19 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

This is gonna make Paul's day. ;)

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/11/04/report-the-yankees-are-out-on-bryce-harper/

Not so much being out on Harper but that they want to go all in on ... Machado.

If its true and Harper doesn't take aim at the short fence ... we Red Sox fans thank you Mr. Cashman.

Not a fan of going for Machado over Harper... not at all.  

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Wow finalists for AL MVP don't even include JD Martinez.  Betts, Ramirez and Trout. 

I know he faded on the triple crown chase but that seems surprising he couldn't get the votes to be in the top 3.

As great a year as Mookie had, from my division-rival standpoint J.D. was more of a difference-maker for the Red Sox this season.  

On 11/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, ghost of miles said:

Not a fan of going for Machado over Harper... not at all.  

They can both hit.  Machado is a gold glove 3B and subpar SS, so him insisting on playing SS screams "there's no team in I".  Harper had dreadful defensive stats in '18, which concerns me, though I know defensive stats are not as foolproof as others at this point.  I'm in Philly.  The buzz here is mainly about Harper, especially after Machado's postseason (the "hustle" comments are not gonna play well in Philly), but I wonder if Boros isn't just playing the Phillies to drive up the bidding on Harper, since the Phils have a lot of $ available.  We shall see.  Either/both would look great in red pinstripes, of course, even with their imperfections, but whether they still will in their mid-30's is a totally different question (remember Ryan Howard - and he was already in decline when they signed him to that contract, though the injury exacerbated it).

On 11/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, Dan Gould said:

Wow finalists for AL MVP don't even include JD Martinez.  Betts, Ramirez and Trout. 

I know he faded on the triple crown chase but that seems surprising he couldn't get the votes to be in the top 3.

The final vote total showed he was 10 votes behind Ramirez. Bergman was six votes behind him.