JSngry

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

There was some speculation that the Astros were interested in Paxton. I would've been happy if they'd managed to reach a deal for him, not least because he's been like kryptonite to our lineup, but I assume Seattle was somewhat less than interested in seeing him go to a division rival. 

And Houston wouldn't include their number 2 prospect so they went with the yankees and their number one.

When healthy Paxton is very good. And two years cost control is pretty good.  But that health issue has to be in the back of your mind.

I don't think the Yankees are necessarily concentrating on starting pitchers. They are going to let the markets develop there while working other things, then swoop in with some stupid offer.  My prediction is 3 starters (I think they get their other two targets, Happ and Corbin) then they jump in last minute and get one of Harper/Machado.

They need to snuff out Red Sox Century(tm) before it gets any further along. :g

Edited by Dan Gould

There has never been a unanimous selection to the Baseball HOF. Weirdly, Ken Griffey Jr. came the closest - 99.32%. Then, Tom Seaver - 98.84%.  Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, If you look at some of the percentages, it makes you wonder what the baseball writers were on when they voted: https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Hall_of_Fame_Voting_Percentages

"Conventional wisdom" used to be that a unanimous selection would never be granted so as to show that HOF membership was not an easy thing to get, that it had to be earned/worked for because no matter how good the player was, they weren't perfect.

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. I get it, but still...some shit just be stupid sometimes.

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

"Conventional wisdom" used to be that a unanimous selection would never be granted so as to show that HOF membership was not an easy thing to get, that it had to be earned/worked for because no matter how good the player was, they weren't perfect.

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. I get it, but still...some shit just be stupid sometimes.

I don't think that's really conventional wisdom at all. I think what has happened is that some voters hold up Aaron, or maybe someone else, as someone who didn't get in unanimously, and therefore they will withhold their vote from X because if Aaron isn't unanimous no one else should be.  They reap the notoriety that follows when everyone gets the same old stupid quote about why whoever didn't vote for someone.

It happens every time a historically remarkable candidate goes in. Will this year be different?  With changes to eligibility for the vote, maybe Mariano is the one.

Or maybe not. Only takes one.

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Speaking of Cooperstown, Mariano Rivera is on the ballot this year (along with the late Roy Halliday).  If Mariano is not a unanimous selection, something’s wrong. 

I'm sure he'll get in, but doubt it'll be unanimous.I remember an era when HoF voters were reluctant to induct relief pitchers. For instance: Bruce Sutter, awesome reliever and father of the split-fingered fastball, had to wait until his 13th year of eligibility!

OT, but the DH issue is interesting. I'm a big fan of Edgar Martinez and would like to see him in the Hall, but don't expect to.