2018-19 Hot Stove League

JSngry

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happ very close to a return to the Bronx, on a three year deal.  Apparently other teams were offering two and Happ was waiting for three from someone. So the Yankees wouldn't go four with Eovaldi but would go three with Happ entering his age  36 season. I find that somewhat interesting, I guess it makes sense from a perceived injury risk side but still, thru age 39?

I just heard that he's a Southern California boy so I am not surprised. He got hot at the right time and I'll appreciate his contributions last October but he has never fulfilled his promise as a starter or a reliever over an entire season.  He and Kimbrel were the cardiac kids, and too often not in a good way so I am fine with both moving on. In fact I welcome it as long as they replace with decent talent that's a little more trustworthy.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:28 PM, Dan Gould said:

Charlie Morton to the Rays.  That gives them legit 1 and 2 starters to go with their openers.  The East could easily be a true three way fight this year if no one jumps out to a 108 win pace.

Charlie Morton (or "CFM", as he's known among Astros fans) will never pay for another meal in Houston for the rest of his life. His performance over the last four innings to clinch the victory in Game 7 of the Series ensured that. I really thought he'd be back, but I guess the Astros didn't feel comfortable enough to offer a deal comparable to the one the Rays put on the table given his age and medical history. His family's set for life now, and I wish him nothing but the best going forward. He will be missed. 

I have a hard time believing its that different, DC vs LA but anyway, this is seriously distressing to me:

The Red Sox lost Joe Kelly to the Dodgers in free agency and are also in danger of bidding adieu to Craig Kimbrel, but it doesn’t seem they’re urgently searching for relief help. Instead, the reigning World Series champions are planning to “wait out” the market until a reliever falls to them for a palatable cost, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports.

"Waiting out" the market will inevitably mean picking the bottom of the barrel when the best names are gone. That's freaking stupid and potentially disastrous.  I can only assume that they think they have an in-house option for closer or have decided that the difference in performance doesn't justify the current market cost of relief pitching.  

Penny-wise, pound-foolish. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I have a hard time believing its that different, DC vs LA...    

Dan, 

Here's a link to the article that appeared in the online version of Sports Illustrated earlier this week.  I was surprised as you are.  

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/12/10/bryce-harper-manny-machado-rumors-mlb-trade-state-taxes

9 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Dan, 

Here's a link to the article that appeared in the online version of Sports Illustrated earlier this week.  I was surprised as you are.  

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/12/10/bryce-harper-manny-machado-rumors-mlb-trade-state-taxes

I can't believe DC hasn't taken its lesson from New York.  You earn it here, you pay it here is their motto, if I'm not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brad said:

Looks like Rivera’s election won’t be unanimous. 

All you have to do is look at his by-line.  Worcester, Massachusetts.  That tells me everything I need to know.  Someone needs to remind Mr. Ballou that you don't invent your own criteria for election (or rejection) out of whole cloth.  If you buy into his rationale, then no reliever should be in the HOF.  I'd like to have a look at his voting record.  Something tells me that at some point, he probably voted for a closer.     

Edited by Dave James

12 hours ago, Brad said:

Looks like Rivera’s election won’t be unanimous. 

Bill Ballou: Mariano Rivera not getting this writer's Hall of Fame vote

You must not have bothered to read thru to the end:

Rivera could be the first Hall of Famer elected unanimously. I think I'm right about closers, but not so much that I would deny Rivera a chance to be the first unanimous Hall of Famer.

Thus, I'm not voting this year. A submitted blank ballot is "no" vote for every candidate, so I'm doing a Switzerland and not sending one at all.

This guy is unbelievably stupid.  But in the end since he isn't actively trying to prevent a unanimous selection, he can live with his stupidity and everybody else will forget it.  And perhaps Rivera will go in unanimously.