JSngry

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Revenue has grown while player wages have stayed stagnant and ticket prices have gone up. The league is making billions in TV and streaming revenue, but an average working-class family can’t afford season tickets anymore, and that money isn’t going to the players who fans love; it’s going right back into the wallets of anonymous billionaires.”

21 hours ago, Dave James said:

The Yankees may be interested in adding Colorado Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado.  He wiil be a free agent after next season so the question is, are they willing to pay the freight now for what could wind up being a rental.  

I have not been an advocate for signing Machado, but the above scenario seems absolutely senseless to me given that NY could sign Machado instead.  

Edited by ghost of miles

55 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I have not been an advocate for signing Machado, but the above scenario seems absolutely senseless to me given that NY could sign Machado instead.  

Given the potential clubhouse downside associated with Machado, I'd still take Arenado.  Stats from last season are almost identical.  Arenado slashed .297/37/110 and Machado, ,297/37/107.  Arenado is 27 and Machado, 26.  I'm sure if the Yankees decide to move in that direction, they'd be pretty sure they could lock him up beyond 2019.     

11 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Given the potential clubhouse downside associated with Machado, I'd still take Arenado.  Stats from last season are almost identical.  Arenado slashed .297/37/110 and Machado, ,297/37/107.  Arenado is 27 and Machado, 26.  I'm sure if the Yankees decide to move in that direction, they'd be pretty sure they could lock him up beyond 2019.     

I pretty much agree with you, especially re. clubhouse downside, but wouldn't quite call the stats equivalent. I always discount hitting stats of Rockies players, because they're inflated due to playing 50% of games at altitude. Still, even discounting Arenado's stats, your conclusion seems valid.

Edited by T.D.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:06 PM, Dave James said:

HALL OF FAME UPDATE: 

With 42% of the vote counted, the following players are in the running (close to 75% or above):

Mariano Rivera - 100%.  

Roy Halladay - 94.2%

Edgar Martinez - 90.1%

Mike Mussina - 81.4%

Roger Clemons - 73.3%

Curt Shilling - 73.8%

Barry Bonds - 72.7%

Larry Walker - 65.7%

52.7% of the votes are in and the top 4, above, are still above the required 75%. However, Clemons, Schilling and Bonds have lost some ground. 

Mussina should not be in ahead of Schilling.  If Schilling gets in, fine, whatever, but aside from total wins he has basically nothing on Schill who had a higher, and longer peak - more 20 game win seasons, more Ks much better K/BB ratio. 

Compare their age 28-37 seasons. Two times Mussina was a less than league-average pitcher.  Thru those 10 years at the same age, Schilling never turned in a lower ERA+ than 118, and four straight that were 140 or higher.

There's one difference - Mussina started out very strong, Schilling didn't. The difference in wins is more than accounted for in those first five years, and in fact Mussina never reached the same peak ever again. He had an ERA+ of 145 in 1995 at the age of 26. Never matched it again. Schilling had four of 140 or higher, age 34-37.

And - I haven't even mentioned the post-season resumes.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Congratulations! Time for me to eat some crow; I didn't believe Rivera would be a unanimous pick or that Edgar M. would get in (though I'm a fan of both).

I had heard that there was one curmudgeon who still believes that relievers are overrated, so instead of voting, he just didn't turn in his ballot.  As silly as it sounds, that eliminates the possibility of unanimous election.

I'm surprised about Edgar as well.  He played some third base, but he was basically a DH.  I thought those guys would always struggle to make the cut.  I think Mussina's election was the one that surprised me the most.

2 minutes ago, Dave James said:

I had heard that there was one curmudgeon who still believes that relievers are overrated, so instead of voting, he just didn't turn in his ballot.  As silly as it sounds, that eliminates the possibility of unanimous election.

No the guy's article explaining his opposition stated explicitly that not voting is not a vote against. He did this knowing that he would not be preventing Mo's unanimous election because he was named on all returned ballots.  An unreturned ballot means nothing.

4 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No the guy's article explaining his opposition stated explicitly that not voting is not a vote against. He did this knowing that he would not be preventing Mo's unanimous election because he was named on all returned ballots.  An unreturned ballot means nothing.

Dan,

You're right.  I stand corrected.

I'm glad that Mariano was elected - not that there was any doubt about that. The fact that he was elected unanimously is only meaningful in the sense that a barrier has been broken. Others, who should have been unanimous choices, weren't. Perhaps now, when someone else who is a true all-time great comes along, he'll be elected unanimously too.

Fwiw, I don't think that either Mussina or Schilling should be in the HoF - at least if I had a vote, I wouldn't vote for either. I do think that some of the baggage that Schilling carries affected the voting for him. I don't believe any of that should enter into the voting, but it probably does.

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

I'm glad that Mariano was elected - not that there was any doubt about that. The fact that he was elected unanimously is only meaningful in the sense that a barrier has been broken. Others, who should have been unanimous choices, weren't. Perhaps now, when someone else who is a true all-time great comes along, he'll be elected unanimously too.

Agreed ....