JSngry

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, T.D. said:

I know it'll never happen, but a relegation system a la English football, in which the worst teams get demoted to a lower league, would make the crappy teams try harder to win.

There aren’t enough teams for a relegation system unless you include the minor leagues.  In such a case, you would have the best teams in triple A plus the teams that had been relegated in a league below the Majors. 

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

There aren’t enough teams for a relegation system unless you include the minor leagues.  In such a case, you would have the best teams in triple A plus the teams that had been relegated in a league below the Majors. 

Yes, I was thinking of promoting the best AAA clubs and demoting the worst of MLB. But it'll never happen, so just talk. And there are 2 AAA leagues (plus multiple AA and A), more complicated than the English football hierarchy.

21 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Yes, I was thinking of promoting the best AAA clubs and demoting the worst of MLB. But it'll never happen, so just talk. And there are 2 AAA leagues (plus multiple AA and A), more complicated than the English football hierarchy.

It definitely is complicated but if the parties wanted to restructure, it could be doable. 

Not wholly off-topic: An interesting story came out about a week ago. Because of a dispute concerning the KC Chiefs' income tax,

reporters were able to examine tax returns from 2008 through 2010.

Some not-so-surprising conclusions re. revenue sharing, lack of incentives to win. The article also says that MLB has much less broadcast revenue sharing than the NFL.

Edited by T.D.

I think we're definitely on our way to a work stoppage come the next CBA negotiations.  If I were the players' union, I'd push for dramatically lifting the luxury tax brackets, raising the minimum MLB salary, and putting a stop to the manipulation of service time... for starters.  And definitely advocate some anti-tanking measures as well, though I'm not sure what form those might take.  

All minor league teams have rosters which consist of players under the control of the parent team. Is it that way in English "football"?

Furthermore the very best AAA teams in a given year consist of a few guys who are on the cusp of actual major league careers, several who are past that point but hope springs eternal, and the rest will get no more than a cup of coffee in the big leagues because ... they really really aren't that good at all, compared to big league players.  The jump is enormous between AAA and the majors.

This is beyond apples to oranges its completely ludicrous.

It’s not ludicrous but probably close to impossible to do because most teams below the top league in England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France (the top European leagues) are independently owned although Real Madrid does own a team in one of the leagues below La Liga.

12 hours ago, Dave James said:

What would be done about revenue sharing?

Another reason why it would be almost impossible to accomplish. 

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I think we're definitely on our way to a work stoppage come the next CBA negotiations.  If I were the players' union, I'd push for dramatically lifting the luxury tax brackets, raising the minimum MLB salary, and putting a stop to the manipulation of service time... for starters.  And definitely advocate some anti-tanking measures as well, though I'm not sure what form those might take.  

I fear you could be right but I think the best thing for the players would be shortening the time to free agency rather than fighting over a handful of players who go an extra year under team control than they should.  Universal DH also creates a number of higher paying jobs.  The fact that the luxury tax is biting in to elite salaries ... that was the whole idea so the players can't be surprised.  I don't think there's any legit evidence of anything approaching 'collusion' when some high revenue teams pick a budget and stick to it.

21 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Another spring training, another injury for Jacoby Ellsbury:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/13/yankees-wont-be-seeing-jacoby-ellsbury-for-a-while/

Plantar fasciitis this time.  Will they at some point just release him?  

I’ve had that and still have it. Not a lot of fun. Usually physical therapy and anti inflammatories will get rid of it.  

On 2/14/2019 at 6:28 AM, Dan Gould said:

All minor league teams have rosters which consist of players under the control of the parent team. Is it that way in English "football"?

Furthermore the very best AAA teams in a given year consist of a few guys who are on the cusp of actual major league careers, several who are past that point but hope springs eternal, and the rest will get no more than a cup of coffee in the big leagues because ... they really really aren't that good at all, compared to big league players.  The jump is enormous between AAA and the majors.

This is beyond apples to oranges its completely ludicrous.

plus, winning really doesn't matter in the minors...one reason you see more teams wanting to sign high school pitchers, is the fact college pitchers, especially in say Texas....get overworked, and their arms suffer , at least early on. A team in AAA, hoping to move up to the majors...can't just imagine how much they would push 20 Y.O. pitchers, til half the pitchers were having T.J. surgery over the winter?

Are there any Yankees and/or Red Sox fans here? :P or, just fans of old school baseball????

these young whipper-snappers of today are so soft, what with their shin guards, and those large finger gloves.....

32 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Reportedly Machado has reached a deal with the Padres. Big fish meets small pond.  I'll go ahead and bet that there are multiple opt-out opportunities and the earliest one that is convenient will result in him going to the Yankees. 

Agree with your take on this, I saw Miami as a much better fit. Also, with the announcement that Bochy is retiring at the end of the season, I think that means the Giants are out of the Harper hunt, as I don't see Harper signing on with his future manager in doubt.

Only saw the report "signed, but with no details available", 5 years to first opt out is much longer than I thought it would be.  I hope San Diego does more to build a winner around him. 

Surely next to fall is Harper to Philadelphia unless the Yanks swoop in as they should have all along.

Then the Sox can just go into their title defense season wondering how they can hold off the Yankees with such a huge difference in bullpens and not so much worry about offenses.

27 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Only saw the report "signed, but with no details available", 5 years to first opt out is much longer than I thought it would be.  I hope San Diego does more to build a winner around him. 

Surely next to fall is Harper to Philadelphia unless the Yanks swoop in as they should have all along.

Then the Sox can just go into their title defense season wondering how they can hold off the Yankees with such a huge difference in bullpens and not so much worry about offenses.

But Dan--we don't *need* Harper.  We've got Brett Gardner, Clint Frazier, and Jacobi Ellsbury!  (sarcastic snort of derision)  Wonder who the 2019 Shane Robinson will be when Hicks, Judge, or Stanton inevitably go down with an injury.  

BTW, I love Brett Gardner, and he's been a valuable player over the years.  But he's clearly in decline, and NY should not have brought him back at $7 million plus buying out his option.  Especially not when you had Harper hitting the market.

Rumors that Harper will get 10 years and $310 million or more from Philadelphia--that will put him ahead of both Machado and the offer from the Nats that he declined.  Just hoping this ridiculous soap opera comes to an end soon.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

But Dan--we don't *need* Harper.  We've got Brett Gardner, Clint Frazier, and Jacobi Ellsbury!  (sarcastic snort of derision)  Wonder who the 2019 Shane Robinson will be when Hicks, Judge, or Stanton inevitably go down with an injury.  

BTW, I love Brett Gardner, and he's been a valuable player over the years.  But he's clearly in decline, and NY should not have brought him back at $7 million plus buying out his option.  Especially not when you had Harper hitting the market.

Rumors that Harper will get 10 years and $310 million or more from Philadelphia--that will put him ahead of both Machado and the offer from the Nats that he declined.  Just hoping this ridiculous soap opera comes to an end soon.

Yeah, the deal for Harper will have to be more than Machado's, even if it's one million per year. I don't see Boras settling for the second best contract. Even though I still follow the Padres (wasted the 70s watching them), I still think it's a bad signing. They are making much noise about the younger players coming up, but usually the prospects never develop as expected, so Machado jumping ship by trade in three years would not surprise me.