2018-19 Hot Stove League

JSngry

19 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Does anyone think that the player's union would back off of guaranteed contracts (the truly huge difference between their sport and everybody else) in return for an earlier shot at free agency or perhaps mandated free agency at a set age?  The willingness to sign large money/long contracts would increase if you could unceremoniously dump dead contracts with no further money due.

By the way the article is already out of date - Vladi Jr is injured and won't be on the major league roster anyway.  Then he's got to play himself back into shape and that's what the minors are for.

NFL football contracts are not guaranteed. That's why free agent  players generally sign for a large amount of money up front, which is guaranteed. I believe that NBA basketball contracts are guaranteed.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yankees have a verbal understanding with Gio Gonzalez. Supposedly a minor league deal.  There's some pitching depth for you Paul. His peripherals have declined but he is only two years removed from a 200 inning, sub 3.00 ERA season (2017). He can't be worse than the rest of 6-9.  Of course that presumes that he doesn't suffer too much from having fewer 'easy' outs to navigate with no pitcher hitting.

16 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Yankees have a verbal understanding with Gio Gonzalez. Supposedly a minor league deal.  There's some pitching depth for you Paul. His peripherals have declined but he is only two years removed from a 200 inning, sub 3.00 ERA season (2017). He can't be worse than the rest of 6-9.  Of course that presumes that he doesn't suffer too much from having fewer 'easy' outs to navigate with no pitcher hitting.

that could be a good pickup. As much as he frustrated Nats fans, he did throw a lot of innings. Great teammate as well.

9 minutes ago, Matthew said:

That’s crazy talk!

Check out ESPN's MLB standings--the games apparently counted, and Seattle now sits atop the AL West:

MLB standings (ESPN)

I learned of it only through a link on the Yankees' site, about Tanaka watching Ichiro Suzuki's retirement (which came at the end of this series):

Ichiro announces retirement after series finale

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

Based on prior series like this in past years, the two teams will go back to spring training. 

Right, but I guess I hadn't remembered such situations--at least in which the games actually counted towards the oncoming season's standings and preceded the official Opening Day.  Speaking of overseas matchups, I believe the Yankees are meeting the Red Sox in London this year for a two-game series at the end of June.

2 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Right, but I guess I hadn't remembered such situations--at least in which the games actually counted towards the oncoming season's standings and preceded the official Opening Day.  Speaking of overseas matchups, I believe the Yankees are meeting the Red Sox in London this year for a two-game series at the end of June.

I think MLB used to do it semi regularly. The Mets may have done it once but I'm not sure. 

This makes me indescribably happy.

From New York Post sportswriter Mike Puma's Twitter feed today: 

"Hall of Fame baseball writer Roger Angell is getting around pretty well at age 98 here at the ballpark in Sarasota. He just mentioned that he saw Babe Ruth play in 1930."

Edited by Mark Stryker

24 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

This makes me indescribably happy.

From New York Post sportswriter Mike Puma's Twitter feed today: 

"Hall of Fame baseball writer Roger Angell is getting around pretty well at age 98 here at the ballpark in Sarasota. He just mentioned that he saw Babe Ruth play in 1930."

:tup  Makes me happy too.

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, Dave James said:

I have no idea how the Yankees coached him up, but there's no doubt that Gray was a different pitcher after the trade. If he picks his game up again in Cincinnati, it will say a lot about whether he could or couldn't handle the pressure of pitching in New York.

Sonny Gray with Cincinnati:

2.80 ERA, 1.09 WHIP in 29 starts.

And according to MLB.com he tries tonight to break Nolan Ryan's record with his 32nd straight start of 6 or fewer hits.

So basically he had three decent starts at the very end for the Yankees, followed essentially by an entire season of excellent work for Cincinnati.

:o:g

On 9/17/2019 at 10:59 AM, Dan Gould said:

Sonny Gray with Cincinnati:

2.80 ERA, 1.09 WHIP in 29 starts.

And according to MLB.com he tries tonight to break Nolan Ryan's record with his 32nd straight start of 6 or fewer hits.

So basically he had three decent starts at the very end for the Yankees, followed essentially by an entire season of excellent work for Cincinnati.

:o:g

Per Dave's comment quoted in your post, I think it says less about the "pressure of pitching in New York" than it says about the Yankees' coaching staff and approach.  Gray's not the first pitcher who's underperformed in NY, and I don't buy much into the "can't handle the Big Apple" theory about that.  Really hoping that the Yankees move on from Larry Rothschild and/or whoever in the front office is directing rotation-pitcher strategy.