OMG, Sal Nistico Sounds Like He Was About To Crack The Lockjaw Code!

JSngry

Great video ! But I had to laugh when I saw the band members in that "silly" hippie-style shirts. This must have been early 70´s, right ? And an electric bass. Well this was the time when acoustic came out of fashion.
I think during that time Woody kind of played a very mixed program, there were super old charts like "Woodchoppers Ball" and then "new" stuff, like Chick Coreas´s "Spain", I think there was also some tunes with a slight rock rhythm.

I saw them in 1979 (the Thundering Heard) and it seems it was very similar to that video. Woody was wearing a white suit, and his band members more casually dressed, and they played for example "Caledonia" that very very old stuff, and some Chick Corea compositions. I remember the 1979 band had a very very fine virtuose baritone saxophonist. I liked it very much, but anyway I was on high spirits since just before Sonny Rollins had finished his set and I thought it will be hard for the next to impress me after Sonny Rollins, but they did !

I saw Woody again in 1985 but was quite astonished that he came without his Herd, then he had an allstar small group with both Buddy Tate and Al Cohn, with I think Warren Vaché, with John Bunch on piano I think, Jake Hanna on drums and .....aaah..... a very young kid on bass who played very good. The strange thing was that on bass was scheduled George Duvivier, but I think he was dying then.....
I remember that Woody played only clarinet, played his best solo on a slow blues and did a vocal "I got the World on a String"

• 1 year later...

On a Woody Herman Tribute with the WDR big band you could hear on tenor sax

Bill Holman / Al Cohn & Sal Nistico really doing the thing.

WDR Bigband    RB WDR    1987/06/12         120    Köln(I), Stadtg    D    Holman/Nistico/Cohn
WDR Bigband    RB WDR 5    1987/06/12         120    Köln,Stadtg.    D    Holman/Cohn/Nistico