Shearing and the Adderley Bros. Newport 1957

Larry Kart

Five tunes by the Adderley band of the time (w/Junior Mance, Sam Jones, Jimmy Cobb) , five by Shearlng's quintet (w/Toots Thielmans, Emil Richards, Al McKibbon, Percy Brice and Armando Peraza). I know most of the Adderley's EmArcy albums; I think they surpass them here. The band is on fire, Nat is in particularly good form, as is Junior Mance and the whole rhythm section. Shearing's Quintet is more forceful than usual, and are quite transforrmed on a long version of Curtis Fuller's "Soul Station," where the Adderley's join them (dig Al McKibbon here). Shearing's fairly batshit locked-hands solo on this track (begins at at about 7:30)  must have been akin to the Shearing performance that Kerouac famously wrote about in "On the Road." 72 minutes in all.

71ZATFNfq0L._SL1082_.jpg

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

So some of Newport 1957 was recorded? Was that the year Wayne Shorter played with Horace Silver?

1957 was the year that Norman Granz recorded and released a buttload full of Newport stuff for and on Verve. I'm wondering now if but that he didn't record the entire festival?

• 3 weeks later...

Wayne was with Horace for a month or so, I think he joined the army which is why his tenure was brief. They only did about 3 gigs, including Newport.

I will check the dates, he graduated NYU in '56 so maybe it was Newport '56, not '57.

Add: Apparently, it was while he was in the Army. Looks like Silver's first Newport was 1957. So where is the recording?

Edited by bertrand

From 1957? Do they go back that far there? And if Granz was responsible for the original taping, would they have them?

Just mentioning Granz because, again, 1957 was the year that he was very engaged in recording @ the festival.

Another thought - was VOA recording @ Newport then?

Looking thru their archives I find Newport concerts as early as 1955 (Brubeck; Bobby Hackett-Ben Webster). 

I could swear I've seen a web page dedicated to lineups from all the years but damn if I can find it now. That would at least verify which years Horace played at Newport (Wolfgang's has 1959 and 1960 available).

As for Granz, my recollection was that Wein taped "everything" and sold to Wolfgang however many years ago.

Yes, VOA recorded Horace on 7/6/57 and the Library of Congress has the tape. It claims it is Clifford Jordan. My guess is Horace announced the personnel.

I have not gone there to listen to tapes in years. The recorded sound division was always nice to me. Music Division is another matter. I went two weeks ago, and this creaky old fart told me jazz was not art, or, more precisely, Julius Watkins is not an artist. Fuck you, asswipe.

I think I read an interview where Wayne claimed he was at Newport. I could be remembering wrong.

Wayne did do a few gigs with Horace later in 1957, then Clifford took over. A little bit odd that Clifford came and went and came, but not impossible.

Someone did listen to the tapes, I am sure Horace announced the band. If not, then we cannot be 100% sure it is Clifford. The same guy who processed the tapes claimed that Dewey Redman was announcing a tune called 'The Body', when in fact it was 'Imani'. Whatever.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Update: I found a flyer on the internet that lists Wayne with Horace at Newport in 1957. Two options:

1) Wayne did not make the gig and Clifford subbed.

2) Library of Congress is wrong.

Wayne played a week in Toronto with Horace in 1957, it's in Mark Miller's Sonny Greenwich book.

Louis Hayes was on the Newport gig. Who can ask him?