Ornette-inspired quartets

Milestones

We seem to be seeing a lot of these lately, though I don't mean to suggest that these are mere imitations.

Most recently, we have Still Dreaming with Joshua Redman and Ron Miles (drawing most clearly on Old and New Dreams).

We have The Creep with Ted Nash (alto) and Ron Horton.

We have Trip with Tom Harrell and Mark Turner.

Also, the new Christian McBride record is in this format.  

I'm finding some enjoyment.  How about you?

16 hours ago, Milestones said:

We seem to be seeing a lot of these lately, though I don't mean to suggest that these are mere imitations.

Most recently, we have Still Dreaming with Joshua Redman and Ron Miles (drawing most clearly on Old and New Dreams).

We have The Creep with Ted Nash (alto) and Ron Horton.

We have Trip with Tom Harrell and Mark Turner.

I'm finding some enjoyment.  How about you?

That was my first reaction when listening to the new McBride several days ago, that it's very much in Ornette-quartet tribute mode.  Interesting trend.  I haven't heard The Creep yet.

Masada (John Zorn + David Douglas)

MILES SMILES when Herbie isn’t soloing

john Carter + Bobby Bradford

American quartet when Keith was playing soprano (also when he was playing piano, but connection is more literal when he’s on the horn)

Joe Lovano + Tom Harrell + Anthony Cox + Billy Hart

Edited by Guy Berger

Rodrigo Amado’s Motion Trio + Jeb Bishop: The Flame Alphabet / on Not Two Records - there is also a great live date from the same time (2012 I think) when Bishop was visiting Portugal and played with Rodrigo’s great trio 

Then 2 recordings of Amado’s newer Quartet with Joe McPhee, Kent Kessler & Chris Corsano 

This is Our Language / on Not Two records

A History of Nothing / on Trost Records 

plus the Motion Trio + Peter Evans: The Freedom Principle / on no business Records 

all inspired by Ornette but all freely improvised in a manner that speaks 55+ years from the original great Ornette Coleman quartets

This is some of the greatest recorded current jazz I know of

12 hours ago, Milestones said:

All good examples, but I'm referring to records that are pretty much new, or at least within the last 4-5 years.

Gerry Mulligan had a a pianoless quartet BEFORE Ornette.

Yes but unlike all the examples i mentioned, Gerry Mulligan’s quartet wasn’t clearly influenced by Ornette’s quartet :) 

While not a quartet, I think Albert Mangelsdorff's three piano-less 5tet albums from the mid-60's have quite a bit of Ornette influence, to my ears...

• Tension (CBS, 1963) -- aka One Tension.
  • Now, Jazz Ramwong (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
  • Folk Mond & Flower Dream (CBS, 1967)

Those first two from '63-'64 especially, both in the writing, the concept, and overall sound (though admittedly, the group isn't anywhere near as 'gutbucket' as Ornette).  Still, I think the influence is clearly there.

FWIW, the 'clean'(er) sound (tibre) of most of Tension & Now Jazz Ramwong is especially appealing.  Not that I have any issues whatsoever with Ornette's sound -- but it's also lovely to hear some of Ornette's ideas filtered through a slightly more orderly outfit, such as Mangelsdorff's.  If for no other reason, than I can play either one of those first two Manglesdorff albums when my wife's around, and it won't ruffle her feathers like Ornette would.

Tight as a drum, and they do go a little out here and there - a really a nice mix.  Wish there were more groups with Manglesdorff's 60's concept -- or maybe I just wish there were one or two more actual Manglesdorff albums (maybe from '65 & '66), before he went further out (which I also like, and have a bunch of from the later 60's and early 70's too.  By that point, I think the Ornette influences are less obvious and certainly less overt.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

These two quartet records aren't recent -- they're about 20 years old -- but when I listen to Dave Douglas' records Magic Triangle and Leap of Faith, I always think of Ornette.

Both records feature Douglas with Chris Potter, James Genus, and Ben Perowsky.

I've got both those Dave Douglas albums, and I totally agree.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On ‎03‎.‎11‎.‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Milestones said:

I´ve listened recently to the long track of "Sonnymoon for two" from 2010 , the only encounter of Rollins and Ornette Coleman, and also noticed, thev Christian McBride really is into that kind of "harmolodic playing", he follows Ornettes trademark modulations as sure as Charlie Haden or David Izenzon did.