"Green Book," new movie about pianist Don Shirley

ghost of miles

This one seems to be getting a lot of good buzz--will be curious to see it:

Green Book

... Shirley's an interesting figure to me.  I have only one of his CDs, a best-of I picked up used for $2.99 a couple of years ago, and news of this movie sent me to the couple of previous Organissimo threads that exist about him.  The historical context of the movie is intriguing as well.

(Mods:  feel free to move to "Artists" section if that seems like a more appropriate subforum for this topic.)

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm. I liked the performances a lot, thought it was a well made movie, but it was just a bit too pat for me, and I hated the ending. Sort of "Driving Miss Daisy" with the roles reversed. I could write more, but I don't want to spoil any of it for those who haven't seen it yet.

gregmo

15 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Hmmmm. I liked the performances a lot, thought it was a well made movie, but it was just a bit too pat for me, and I hated the ending. Sort of "Driving Miss Daisy" with the roles reversed. I could write more, but I don't want to spoil any of it for those who haven't seen it yet.

gregmo

That was the criticism, that it was Miss Daisy in reverse and a “buddy” movie. 

Just now, Brad said:

That was the criticism, that it was Miss Daisy in reverse and a “buddy” movie. 

Purely as a "buddy" movie, it works just fine, but it wants also to be a movie about race, and in that rather fraught area, I think it works a lot *less* well.

gregmo

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Please to be asked is there the real Don Shirley records to be used in the soundtack? And can there be made to sell a soundtrack album if so?

Per Wikipedia, the music in the film is by Kris Bowers.  There are many pieces in the movie, filmed while Ali is at the piano, which sound like they could have been copied from improvisations/pieces by Don Shirley.  A soundtrack could be made that would include original music from the movie, certain live scenes (such as the roadhouse scene towards the end of the movie), and some Shirley performances.  Someone would have to sort out the Cadence rights, first.  Would the soundtrack come out on Collectibles records?  :g  Actually, the music rights are probably owned by Universal, since they own everything these days.

I have to mention Rex Reed's review of the movie.  He loved it, but he did say this: "Shirley was a pretentious Jamaican musician so improvisational he couldn’t play anything straight. I never cared for his recordings and on the few occasions when I saw him in person on smoky stages like the Village Vanguard, he could make Gershwin sound like Berlioz and Berlioz sound like Brubeck."  https://observer.com/2018/11/green-book-best-film-viggo-mortensen-rex-reed-review/

I didn't know Rex Reed was still alive? He could take a refresher course in writing, though, because what he means as a dis comes out sounding like a compliment to yours truly.

TBH - I have never heard any Don Shirley that captivated me enough to dig deeper. But an OST made entirely of his recordings, hey, I'd be in on that, because, you know, a superficial yet big-enough representation would be enough for me to feel self-satisfied and culturally astute, especially since it would be an OST. Like a Ken Burns collection.

But all that other stuff? Not needed here. That would be like when the twirlers in my high school went to twirler cam to learn their routine, and the one they selected was the theme to Viva Max, aka "Viva Max March". So, the school dutifully purchased the RCA OST, whereby it was eventually discovered  (not the by twirlers, mind you, even though it was the very next track on the record) that that LP also contained this little piece of WTF-ishness:

Ok, RCA, how about a whole Al Hirt album like that business @ 0:52? Huh? Well? Ok? Right?

Anyway, it was actually a pretty funny movie. Check it out sometimes if you haven't yet. And knowing now a lot more than I did then about Hollywood film-scoring, the full OST is not without interest in that vein. But you know, 14 year olds don't know shit about shit like that.

I hadn't read any of Rex Reed's work in years but the lines quoted above sound like typical Rex Reed. However, when you read the full review, he mostly avoids embellishments (although there are a couple of notable exceptions) and the review is quite complimentary.  

• 4 weeks later...

My mother introduced me to Don Shirley's music years ago. Not exactly my thing, but I appreciated the skill displayed. When I saw previews for this film back in September, I knew I had to take her to see it. For what it is -- a Hollywood production -- it is very, very good. Maybe even better than that, partly by virtue of its being somewhat understated in how it handles its "big issues." Mortensen and Ali are pretty much in every scene; they really carry the film with superb performances. Also surprising (to me, anyway) that Peter Farrelly (one of the Farrelly Bros.) helmed the production.

Edited by Joe

I read a fact-checking piece on the film, and apparently, it is very true to what really happened, based on what Shirley and Vallelonga told the filmmaker (Vallelongo's son).  The main creative liberty that was taken was that a year-and-a-half's worth of real-life events were compacted into a two-month tour for the film.  

Shirley apparently told the filmmaker that he was fine with the making of the film, as long as the filmmaker stayed true to what both he and Vallelonga reported to him, and that the film was made after Shirley died.

SPOILER ALERT:  It has been speculated that the reason Shirley did not want the film to be released while he was alive was because of an event suggesting that Shirley is gay.  

• 1 month later...