NPR's "The Record" and the future of their Critics Poll

Hi all, I hope that this post is appropriate in the "in Print" subforum.

I've noticed that NPR's "The Record" section ended in the middle of this year. They have been publishing the Critics Poll for years.

Does anyone have information regarding whether Mr. Francis Davis will continue with his polling and curation? Will there be an NPR Jazz Critics Poll to look forward to in 2018?

Best wishes,

Matthew

4 hours ago, mncz said:

I've noticed that NPR's "The Record" section ended in the middle of this year. They have been publishing the Critics Poll for years.

Does anyone have information regarding whether Mr. Francis Davis will continue with his polling and curation? Will there be an NPR Jazz Critics Poll to look forward to in 2018?

Best wishes,

Matthew

The polling requests usually get sent out around mid-November, but I haven't seen anything yet about a 2018 poll.  Even if NPR chose to no longer host it, I'd imagine he would find another site to post the results (and in the past there's been another site where he's published the ballots in full), assuming that a poll happens again. Will provide an update if I hear anything... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 8:04 AM, mncz said:

Best wishes,

Matthew

Hi again, Matthew—just got confirmation that the poll is indeed happening again and will once more be hosted by NPR.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2018 at 10:59 AM, ghost of miles said:

Hi again, Matthew—just got confirmation that the poll is indeed happening again and will once more be hosted by NPR.

Hi, friend – I've been in a research hole and haven't been back to say hello. Thanks for getting back to me on this, and I'm highly anticipating the results –– should emerge soon!

At this point, plenty of writers have already shared their nominations for Fred's ballot this year. The suspense continues to rise.

Because DJs play what they think the audience will like and critics vote for what they like. Different segments or am I missing something from as a viewer from afar (apologies if that is the case)

FWIW I thought the list, and especially the top 10, was pretty solid selection but then it probably reflects my taste so I would say that. For others with different tastes it probably looks all askew.

I do need to hear the Wayne Shorter

4 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Great to see Tyshawn Sorrey’s epic Pillars listed in the top 15. 

I do wonder how Syllogistic Moments from Peter Evans and Barry Guy didn’t make the top 50. That would likely be my album of the year. 

because Not Two is a small European independent with limited US distribution I'd guess. The only European labels represented ECM and Intakt have quite a higher profile, the only other smaller labels are US based. 

Edited by mjazzg

38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

because Not Two is a small European independent with limited US distribution I'd guess. The only European labels represented ECM and Intakt have quite a higher profile, the only other smaller labels are US based. 

Hmmm...point taken. While reasonable, it still seems bizarre in the age of the internet. 

I mean, hell, I heard it on Apple Music. It's not like I had to purchase a CD from some obscure boutique shop in Bumfuck, Germany. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

If that were true, how to explain: 13. Miles Okazaki, Work: The Complete Compositions of Thelonious Monk, Vols. 1-6 (self-released)

:)

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Because DJs play what they think the audience will like and critics vote for what they like. Different segments or am I missing something from as a viewer from afar (apologies if that is the case)

But as Ken said, and he is a voter, the critics have not even heard all of the top picks. So basically, the latest "hot choice" is a poll leader. Helps explain Cecile McLorin Salvant's standing here, as she is certainly a flavor of the month in Jazz today.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

But as Ken said, and he is a voter, the critics have not even heard all of the top picks. So basically, the latest "hot choice" is a poll leader. Helps explain Cecile McLorin Salvant's standing here, as she is certainly a flavor of the month in Jazz today.

That pretty much describes Kevin Whitehead's segment, which I generally turn off in advance.

So...if I call up my local NPR station (or yours for that matter) and ask them to play me all that good Tyshawn Sorrey that their own poll picked as a great record from the last year, they're gonna obligate me right away and put it out all over the air, correct? And same with all these other critic's picks, right? They're all gonna be ready to throw down with all the poll winners, right? We're NPR, we'll tell you what is good and we'll play it for you all you ask, this is how it works, right?

Can't wait to pledge for all that public service!

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Missing are ALL the great recordings with Joe McPhee

did anyone anywhere hear “Sweet Oranges” or “Journey to Parazzar”?

I have both of those - but I'm not a "critic".

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I can't say she is among my favorite vocalists, but then again, neither is Gregory Porter.

I don't like his singing either.