James Scott - Ragtime piano rolls

Larry Kart

Biograph is generally one of the few reliable companies when it comes to reproducing rolls. Does it say who did the setup? Used to be an incredible guy named Mike Montgomery but he's been dead a few years. And btw, if you are looking for non-Joplin Ragtime, you might also look out for Joseph Lamb; a white student of Joplin, he recorded for Folkways (or one of those labels) in the late 1950s when  Sam Charters found him living in Queens - and, weirdest of all, his daughter Pat, in her 90s, lives only a few miles from where I do.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:46 PM, AllenLowe said:

Biograph is generally one of the few reliable companies when it comes to reproducing rolls. Does it say who did the setup? Used to be an incredible guy named Mike Montgomery but he's been dead a few years. And btw, if you are looking for non-Joplin Ragtime, you might also look out for Joseph Lamb; a white student of Joplin, he recorded for Folkways (or one of those labels) in the late 1950s when  Sam Charters found him living in Queens - and, weirdest of all, his daughter Pat, in her 90s, lives only a few miles from where I do.

Montgomery and Trebor Tichenor did the set up, rolls were from their collections. I know of Lamb to some degree, have a latter day CD of his work played by a female pianist, maybe Virginia Eskin? Trebor and my late pianist friend Bob Wright, hailed by Eubie Blake as the best ragtime pianist of his generation, were friends-scholarly collaborators. Also, Trebor's daughter made at least one excellent CD of rags; she's got the right stuff.