Congratulations Guy Berger!

GA Russell

Right click the link and choose open in new incognito window (Chrome).

Speaking of paywalls/free articles, I continue to find it amazing that I can defeat NYT's limit on free articles with incognito windows. I can only open five at a time now (used to be 10) but how come the Boston Globe, owned by the Times if I am not mistaken, is set up to recognize incognito windows and make you sign up/pay to see anything more than one article a month no matter what?

I can't imagine why anyone pays for the Times yet apparently they do.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Dan, you (of all people) I would expect to know that the Globe is now owned by the owner of the Red Sox!

OH that's right were they forced to sell? Can't remember. I don't follow the Globe for Sox news, I do boston.com for Chad Finn and MLB.com otherwise. Hardballtalk if I want to aggravate myself.

As to cookies dear Jim, I delete all such temporary ephemera to reset. The Globe don't care. It knows when it sees Incognito browsing and won't let you do it.

Some cookies last longer than others. I know the NYT's counting cookie has a somewhat indirect name, you have to look at it carefully to know what it is. Although with the incognito thing, I don't know how the site would read that. I mean, it's not truly "incognito" if they can tell it's incognito. But maybe it's as simple as they're noting that they can't set their cookies.

I'd think if you deleted all relevant cookies and used a regular browser and then deleted all placed cookies after visiting?

It's not that I mind being blocked from a site I don't care about, I just like knowing how it's done and how I can get around it. There's enough stuff for me on the NYT that I know how to reset their counter. Boston Globe, no idea, I don't go there.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Right click the link and choose open in new incognito window (Chrome).

Speaking of paywalls/free articles, I continue to find it amazing that I can defeat NYT's limit on free articles with incognito windows. I can only open five at a time now (used to be 10) but how come the Boston Globe, owned by the Times if I am not mistaken, is set up to recognize incognito windows and make you sign up/pay to see anything more than one article a month no matter what?

I can't imagine why anyone pays for the Times yet apparently they do.

The NY TImes no longer owns the Boston Globe.  The TImes sold it in 2013 to John Henry (who also is the majority owner of the Boston Red Sox as well as the Liverpool soccer (or football, if you prefer) team). 

44 minutes ago, JSngry said:

yep, every time. pain in the ass. but if you can beat it once, hey, you beat it. smell the victory, breathe deep, and then walk away. :g

Or smell deeply from the ass of defeat, and walk away, quicker, while farting in their general direction.

Not to advocate for the wholesale bypassing of paywalls, but http://archive.is/ is your friend if you don't want to screw around with resetting cookies or incognito mode. Drop the paywalled URL in, hit Save, and wait a bit for the article to appear after the archive genies do their thing. It doesn't work 100% of the time, and when it does, formatting may be a bit off and some graphics may be missing, but those are minor quibbles for what is generally a useful tool. And yes, it does work for the Boston Globe. 

There are also some Chrome extensions to neutralize paywalls, but those generally require sideloading as they tend to get yanked from the Chrome App Store.