Nathan Davis with Georges Arvanitas Trio – Live in Paris – The ORTF Recordings 1966/67

soulpope

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I don't think those sound samples sound all that great. Typical bootleg quality.

Sounded pretty good to me, frankly.  The whole thing clocks in around 110 minutes, and would make a great 2-CD set.

Also, based on the sample, the track "A5" has Nathan on soprano, and man does he ever have just about THE sweetest, most precise soprano tone and intonation of just about anyone I've ever heard.  I wouldn't want a whole album with him just on soprano, but a track (or two even) would not be unwelcome.

Nathan plays soprano about as 'beautifully' as Eric Dolphy played flute.  Remarkable.

On ‎16‎.‎11‎.‎2018 at 6:44 PM, clifford_thornton said:

will definitely be getting this. I am not entirely sure but I didn't think Sam Records did CDs.

No, they don't (but a related label did the "Peace Treaty" CD by Davis, I think ... and not sure if the "Barney Wilen Quintet" reissue doesn't come from that corner - but CDs are not running under "Sam Records").

Recently, they did the Monk "Liaisons" on vinyl, right? CD was available from a different label ... would be great if the Davis did turn up on CD as well, but I'm still tempted by the vinyl, although with custom taxes added it will end up quite expensive indeed (some 75-80 € I guess).

around the time of Peace Treaty, I wrote some emails with the owner... memory fades a bit, but pretty sure it's the same guy who now does Sam Records, and that he mentioned he would not do CDs again...

talking CDs and Nathan Davis, I got the recent reissue of pianist Scott Bradford's Rock Slides this weekend and thoroughly enjoy it... it's a little bit on the heavily produced side but definitely a fun record with strong contributions from Nathan Davis...

R-2082895-1480890056-9854.jpeg.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 15/11/2018 at 8:11 AM, felser said:

I'd be in for 2 CD set if there were one.

Went for the 3LP set & very impressed by the SQ of these discs but couldn't resist digitalising them - perfect fit onto two CDr's

Gotta be my release of the year

The soprano track (A5) is stunning

IMG_4820 copy.jpg

Edited by romualdo

• 1 year later...

Caught this on sale at Accoustic Sounds awhile back. Ashamed I was not familiar with his music. Only got back into vinyl in 2016 because wife bought me turntable and sent me upstairs to my own space.

The worst part was I spent years to built a nice system for cd’s, SACD’s , DVD’s and Surround sound. My music never sounded better but I made mistake of tying it into TV entertainment center.

It was hard to bitch as I’m retired and she is the money. I get even by buying vinyl. I probably would have been missing out on the Nathan Davis Paris. As a side note the world of vinyl collecting isn’t as enjoyable as chasing down my favorite CDs from the last 30 years. 

44 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If only it were available as such, I would SO buy this *on CD*, and even pay a premium for it ($30 for a 2cd set?).

same here

51 minutes ago, Gdgray said:

the world of vinyl collecting isn’t as enjoyable as chasing down my favorite CDs from the last 30 years. 

In what ways?

Just my opinion, the buyers/ sellers are  different . I find the cd buyers going all the way back to BN forum were much more knowledgeable and more interested in artist not labels.

Jazz vinyl buyers definitely go for the Music Matters, AP and Mofi. I noticed with MMJ and Tone Poets on other forums ,in many cases it’s buyers first time hearing title or Artist Here the forum residents are really knowledgeable about jazz in general. I have lurked on forums for years but feel a little insecure voicing opinion. Not that forum members aren’t a friendly bunch but do not want to show my lack of knowledge. I have purchased many artists based on what I have found here. Even now I hesitate to voice opinion but I have come to grips with I like what I like and it’s important to how it sounds to my ears.

Too much time on my hands

Lets stay safe.

Edited by Gdgray