Bargain Audio Equipment

GA Russell

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Cambridge Audio still exist?   Ooops, I see there is a British company called Cambridge Audio that does still exits and makes cd players.  I was referring to the company started by the late Henry Kloss which made speakers years ago.  They put out a great cd radio combination similar in sound but not in price to the Bose.  And I see that Kloss's  company was called Cambridge Soundworks.   Cambridge Soundworks still exits as a label but I can't vouch for its equipment. 

Edited by medjuck

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

Does Cambridge Audio still exist?   Ooops, I see there is a British company called Cambridge Audio that does still exits and makes cd players.  I was referring to the company started by the late Henry Kloss which made speakers years ago.  They put out a great cd radio combination similar in sound but not in price to the Bose.  And I see that Kloss's  company was called Cambridge Soundworks.   Cambridge Soundworks still exits as a label but I can't vouch for its equipment. 

Cambridge Soundworks used to make "great bang for the buck" speakers. They almost created the "sub/sat" speaker industry that sprang up in the early 90s. I used to highly recommend their Tower II speakers for people who wanted great sound on a budget. They were particularly good speakers if you wanted to crank it up a bit.

Speaking of cheap audio, what are people recommending for PC speakers these days?

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Cambridge Soundworks used to make "great bang for the buck" speakers. They almost created the "sub/sat" speaker industry that sprang up in the early 90s. I used to highly recommend their Tower II speakers for people who wanted great sound up on a budget. They were particularly good speakers if you wanted to crank it up a bit.

Speaking of cheap audio, what are people recommending for PC speakers these days?

I still use my old Tower speakers as well as their surround speakers. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Cambridge Soundworks used to make "great bang for the buck" speakers. They almost created the "sub/sat" speaker industry that sprang up in the early 90s. I used to highly recommend their Tower II speakers for people who wanted great sound on a budget. They were particularly good speakers if you wanted to crank it up a bit.

Klipsch Pro Media 2.1

Cambridge Audio - Advent Speakers by Henry Kloss?  I have a pair at home and rarely use them anymore.   When I purchased them in the mid-80s I got them because I was told they're the best 'sit down and listen' to speakers on the market.   I just checked on eBay, used sell for $80.   I think I paid $400 back in the day.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00F0H8TOC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543260094&sr=8-4&keywords=smsl+amp

Plug this tiny amp to your power hungry speakers and then weep at the glorious sound and power this produces.  Combine it with a FX Audio tube preamp for $45 and weep some more.

10 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I've had this item saved in my Amazon "Save For Later" list for several months. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000062VUO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2P0F4MQY62SCT&psc=1

I've been using these for more than ten years and have been very satisfied with them. In fact, I think it was someone recommending them here that first drew my attention to them. I'm sure there are better computer speakers to be had, but you're probably not going to find them at this price point.

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Kevin, it's interesting that you say that.  I think of the cue as protecting the needle, not the record!

If you've ever gone to lift the tonearm off the record, dropped it, heard that "wrrrrrrruurrrp" and then looked at an LP with a large scratch across several tracks, you'd know that a diamond stylus beats vinyl every time. :)