Glenn Osser - Be There at 5 - Mercury, 1956

Teasing the Korean

I know the name Glenn Osser only from Johnny Mathis records.  

Here is an album he did for Mercury in 1956, Be There at 5:  Conversational Music for Cocktails, Mercury MG 20218.

https://www.discogs.com/release/397711-Be-There-At-5/images

It is basically a George Shearing Quintet knockoff album.  It is pleasant enough, but what I really love about it is the cover art and the title.  I love the fact that certain postwar adults needed guidance for what kind of music to play for particular social situations.   Having a beautiful woman over for cocktails?  Just play this album.  Ice cubes not included.  

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Osser's name was often found on the "stage band" arrangements from the 1950s that our high school had, and then discarded in favor of more "modern" items.

He did nice work on some of Johnny Mathis's Columbia albums.  This is the only album I've seen under his name.  I really love the instructional, guided concept of the album.  

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Interesting players - George Barnes, Jimmie Crawford, and a rare chance to hear Phil Kraus at length on vibes? Any vibes solos?

There are piano, guitar, and vibes solos sprinkled throughout the record.  All of the tunes clock in at under three minutes, so the solos generally go for only 8 or 16 bars.  

Kraus uses a fast setting on the vibrato, which gives it that mid-century futurist sound.  The vibes solos are nice.  

On 19.11.2018 at 11:06 AM, mikeweil said:

Interesting players - George Barnes, Jimmie Crawford, and a rare chance to hear Phil Kraus at length on vibes? Any vibes solos?

Hey, please don't slight (by not naming them) jack-of-all-trades drummer Jack Lesberg and Andy (Andrew) Ackers, pianist a.o. on Billy Bauer's "Plectrist" album on Verve. ;)

9 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Jack Lesberg was a bassist...  Who's the "jack-of-all-trades drummer" you're referring to?

Sh..t ... my oversight. I ought to have double-checked before posting. Particularly since Jimmie Crawford had already been named. Deepest apologies. It should not have happened.

I was referring to "jack of all trades" because his name comes up in many, many lineups from the post-war years. So make that "jack of all trades bassist". As for the "drummer" bit, maybe I had the name of Jack SPERLING (who also did a fair bit of studio work) getting me onto a wrong track.