New Terumasa Hino reissues

Harbour

After all the great Takt Jazz reissues  that came out last month we get a another set of mini lps via deep jazz reality all which have been impossible to find, excited by these 

https://merurido.jp/topic.php?srcbnr=26773

Journey To Air

A Part (with Reggie Workman)

Love Nature

Peace & Love

also Hot Islands by Fukui Karashima

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excited to see these Hino releases. I've seen them in discographies but never heard them or even seen them in stores. 

New York, March, 1970
  Journey to air (part 1) Canyon (Jap)CAT1001
  Journey to air (part 2)       -
Note: Canyon (Jap)CAT1001 also on Overseas (Jap)ULS1851.

Tokyo, Japan, September 29 & October 1, 1970
  Gongen Canyon (Jap)CAJ1004
  Peace and love       -
Note: Both above titles also on Overseas (Jap)ULS-1852.
  Tokyo, Japan, November 1, 8 & December 3, 1970
  A part Canyon (Jap)CAJ1005
  Ode to Workman       -
  Be and know       -
Note: All above titles also on Overseas (Jap)ULS1853.
  Teaneck, N.J., March 31, 1971
  Each/other Canyon (Jap)J-1006
  Love nature       -
  Sister Mayumi       -
Note: All above titles also on Overseas (Jap)ULS1854.

Me too, that's like the holy grail of Hino's discography.  I do have burns of some of them, excited to get real CD's.  Deep Jazz Reality is a fascinating label, have put out a lot of wonderful titles such as some deep Strata East, Roy Brooks, etc.

https://www.discogs.com/label/419894-Deep-Jazz-Reality?page=1

Yeah, I have Journey to Air on the original Hino private press "Love" imprint. It's a monster free jazz session.

The others have been a b*itch to track down; there are those Overseas LP reissues but if I'm going to spend the money, Canyon would be the way to go. I'll probably just get the CDs anyway to tide me over.

23 minutes ago, bakeostrin said:

Apologize for derailing Hino, does anyone have a link to the TAKT reissues mentioned in post 1?

thank you

I don't have a link handy I'm afraid (on mobile in an airport currently), but I recently re-purchased 3 of the 5(?) (or was it 6?) Hino TAKT titles that I previously only had as very nice quality on-demand CDR's (purchased ~4 years ago from CDJapan). I just don't trust CDR's to last more than about 10-20 years, and these albums are too great to take a chance on.

But nearly all the Hino titles that kicked off this thread are entirely new to me, and I plan to order all of them in the next week or two.

Honestly, if push really came to shove, I might very well rank Hino among my top-10 all-time favorite trumpeters. Not always, but he's often shockingly good. Certainly sometimes in the same league with the likes of a Woody Shaw, imho.

And a few of these new TAKT reissues also have 1-2 bonus tracks, adding a bit to albums that were unfortunately around 35-37 minutes each originally.

Hino might just be the most underrated trumpeter ever, at least in the US. Perhaps he's better known and appreciated in Europe - ?

In any case, I'm thrilled to be picking up all this incredible material -- the first big jazz buying binge I've given myself in years.

1 hour ago, bakeostrin said:

Apologize for derailing Hino, does anyone have a link to the TAKT reissues mentioned in post 1?

thank you

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/release/music/jazz-fusion/month/2018/10?periods=3

- Alone, Alone, and Alone

- Swing Journal Jazz

- Into the Heaven

- Feelin' Good

- Hino-Kikuchi Quintet

- Hi-Nology

- Alone Together

I have the last two already.  Any thoughts and/or on the first five titles?  They are pricey ($22.14 + shipping) and unknown to me, so I did not pull the trigger.  Should I?  Low-priced reissue of "Hogiuta" comes out next month, and I did pre-order that along with a bunch of other coming low-price reissues, using my birthday points and points from last purchase.  At what point do you get off the train if you like Hino's ca. 1970 work, but don't care for slick fusion, which seems to have been his thing later in the decade?  

All the Takt Jazz reissues are well worth picking up, beautiful gatefold min lp replicas and the music is great too, less fusioney than the upcoming deep jazz reissues but excellent regardless 

there was a similar series of Sadao Watanabe Takt reissues that came out recently too

All the East Wind releases he did are great too and after that it all went a bit south for me!

42 minutes ago, bakeostrin said:

Thank you very much for the information.

I like the "Swing Journal" one, much more than "Hi-Nology."

Feelin Good, Hino/Kikuchi & Alone Together have been issued before.

I actually like Hi-Nology a lot.   How is Swing Journal different?  More straight ahead?  I don't own and have never heard "Feelin' Good" or "Hino/Kikuchi".  What are they like?

11 minutes ago, felser said:

I actually like Hi-Nology a lot.   How is Swing Journal different?  More straight ahead?  I don't own and have never heard "Feelin' Good" or "Hino/Kikuchi".  What are they like?

Yes, more straight ahead; works better for me.  I really like "Shadow of Your Smile."

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Regarding price - sometimes DG will bring in a lower overall price than CD Japan. Sometimes.

Understood, based on higher price but lower shipping cost.  I tend to order 13 CD's at a time from CDJapan, which optimizes shipping for me.  That is the max allowed for a SAL Small Packet.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:57 AM, Harbour said:

After all the great Takt Jazz reissues  that came out last month we get a another set of mini lps via deep jazz reality all which have been impossible to find, excited by these 

https://merurido.jp/topic.php?srcbnr=26773

Journey To Air

A Part (with Reggie Workman)

Love Nature

Peace & Love

also Hot Islands by Fukui Karashima

I can't seem to figure out the cart to process a purchase...my google page translation is letting me down. Is there any "easier way?"

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes!!! :tup I would love to have THAT on CD!

AMEN!!!  I'd pay a premium price for it too (up to a certain point).  I've been looking for that Waldron/Hino "Reminiscent Suite" date on LP for ~5 years now, but have never seen a copy for less than about $80, iirc -- but I'd really prefer to have it on CD.