New Terumasa Hino reissues

Harbour

On 26-11-2018 at 3:30 PM, HutchFan said:

Yes!!! :tup I would love to have THAT on CD!

https://goo.gl/images/wXuso4

Me too. And how bout this one? I always thought that Mal Waldron reached a near pop star status in Japan. But the amount of avaible reissues at this moment is absolutely dreadfully low :(

C96B7C28-F776-41A3-BE05-89B64CB3CD2D.jpeg

Edited by Pim

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Harbour said:

There are plenty of Mal reissues in Japan unfortunately it’s usually the same effing ones, how they can keep reissuing Mal 1 year in year out is beyond me!

the other one that really needs a reissue is Tokyo Bound

Very true indeed. The new Enja reissues: again One Upmanship and Moods. Tokyo Bound is awesome, Tokyo Reverie also, the Encounter with Peacock, Spanish Bitch, Mingus Lives, Live at The Domicille... so much incredible music to reissue...

1 hour ago, Harbour said:

There are plenty of Mal reissues in Japan unfortunately it’s usually the same effing ones, how they can keep reissuing Mal 1 year in year out is beyond me!

the other one that really needs a reissue is Tokyo Bound

All about who holds the copyrights, I assume.  The whole Prestige catalog keeps getting so many reissue campaigns.  Chances are, Concord will give us "Mal Waldron Plays For Lovers" in time for Valentine's Day (and it will be 34 minutes long).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, whew!!!  Just got a shipping notice for my Dusty order, placed about 65 minutes after I got the email this afternoon.  And I successfully got *all four* (4) of the new "Deep Reality" Hino discs, plus one of the other Hino TAKT titles that I already had (but the new version has a bonus track/alternate).  So then the only Hino TAKT title that I don't have is "Feelin' Good" (which I just cannot bring myself to pay $25 for) -- but I've got ALL the rest.

My wallet absolutely hates me now, but I cannot resist all these great Hino titles.  And as others have said, the new TAKT mini-LP style reissues are nice as can be (and I otherwise am not all that hyped about mini-LP's).

Devastatingly wonderful music.  Probably one of my top-10 favorite trumpeters, of all time.

EDIT: Also got Masabumi Kikuchi's "East WInd" on CD too (same order), also with Hino.  Been meaning to track one of these down for ages.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

OK, whew!!!  Just got a shipping notice for my Dusty order, placed about 65 minutes after I got the email this afternoon.  And I successfully got *all four* (4) of the new "Deep Reality" Hino discs, plus one of the other Hino TAKT titles that I already had (but the new version has a bonus track/alternate).  So then the only Hino TAKT title that I don't have is "Feelin' Good" (which I just cannot bring myself to pay $25 for) -- but I've got ALL the rest.

My wallet absolutely hates me now, but I cannot resist all these great Hino titles.  And as others have said, the new TAKT mini-LP style reissues are nice as can be (and I otherwise am not all that hyped about mini-LP's).

Devastatingly wonderful music.  Probably one of my top-10 favorite trumpeters, of all time.

EDIT: Also got Masabumi Kikuchi's "East WInd" on CD too (same order), also with Hino.  Been meaning to track one of these down for ages.

Don't be shy about sharing your thoughts on these, Rooster. Would love to hear your impressions -- after you've had a chance to hear & "absorb" them . . .

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

My wallet absolutely hates me now..

No, your wallet LOVES you because you're giving it a vigorous but loving workout doing what it was made to do. Not all wallets are made for this, of course, but yours is. So accept the pleasure that comes with the responsibility, and vice-versa.

39 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Don't be shy about sharing your thoughts on these, Rooster. Would love to hear your impressions -- after you've had a chance to hear & "absorb" them . . .

I suspect a few of them will be a little more relevant to my interests, than others.  For instance, depending on how far "out" some of them get (and how far out they STAY), that'd probably be a big factor.  But I'm hoping I'll only have any serious buyer's remorse for one of the four of them.  I know, at $30 a pop (ouch!), I was really taking an expensive chance -- but every once in a while, you just have to go for it, and hope for the best.

To be clear, I don't expect I'll really strongly regret having gotten any of them -- but, rather, there could easily be one (or hopefully not two, but maybe two) that I certainly might have NOT been willing to pay $30 per CD for (but I might have still bought for something more like $15).

Guess I'll know in about a week or so -- or after I get back from the holidays.

28 minutes ago, king ubu said:

What - or rather: which ones - are "the four Deep Reality Hino discs"?

I have three of the Takt by now, the other four are on order from CD Japan, will be a while (I think they're not even shipped yet, and shipping takes 3-6 weeks usually, going with the cheap option).

I think the 4 that were released December 5th, namely

Love Nature, Journey To Air, Peace&Love and A Part.

BTW, I ordered these plus Mabumi Yamaguchi mini lp from hmv.co.jp and it cost me 125 EUR with EMS shipping, Dustygroove charges US$150 (about 139 EUR) for the discs alone. If you live outside USA like me the former would seem a better option. 

Edited by sambrasa
clearer wording

9 minutes ago, king ubu said:

available for little money straight from Enja as well:

51GO4BLfXkL.jpg

.. which also goes for "Taro's Mood", which was expanded to two discs:

51%2BtmcBBVjL.jpg51AafduJNKL.jpg

(though the second is fairly short indeed)

For Yen 1000  the japanese 2018 edition

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/CDSOL-6640?s_ssid=e4449a5c122d7336ae

with the original cover art is a beauty ....

12 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I wonder how many copies of each title they (Dusty) ordered?

I get the impression that they don't really like to keep a big backlog of new releases on hand, so probably just enough to cover the people who didn't get them in the first wave and then, maybe, 1 or 2 more.

What's up with so many Terumasa Hino albums starting with *ballads*??  Both some of his studio albums, and even some live albums.  My sample is nearly all pre-1978, but I'm guessing close to 1/4th or even 1/3rd of the Hino leader-dates that I have are like this.

I don't think I've EVER seen an artist who side 1, track 1 leads off with a straight up ballad (and not even a mid-tempo one), as often as Terumasa Hino. No one even comes close.

Was "Alone Alone and Alone" his "Sidewinder"? -- and so the record companies kept demanding more 'hits' from him like "Alone x3"??