Complete set of Mosaic Selects on eBay

Sealed, no less:

MOSAIC SELECT COMPLETE 38 VOL. SEALED LIMITED EDITION SOLD OUT SET!!!

Not mine, and I don't know the seller, but it caught my attention in the manner of "now there's something you don't see every day."

Asking price comes out to about $68 and change per title, which I guess isn't too bad, but the target market of people with both the means and the desire to pick up a complete set has got to be pretty small. 

Totally agree with your assessment. Very late in the game for this.  I agree the price probably averages out OK (many go for a good bit less, but some go for a whole lot more), but I don't see it as a bargain.  Interesting that they are all unplayed.  Guess someone picked them up all along on a speculative basis, held them too long, and is now looking to get out.  I predict that the lot won't sell at that price, but i've been wrong before.  But Mosaic Madness seems to be many years in the past.  

This Mosaic thing...there are items that I missed out on that I have more or less now all picked up. But never, then or now, will I pay that kind (or any kind, really) of money for jsut to have a "complete" collection. So there will be gaps. Fuck it, I'll fill those gaps with other stuff that I do want, there's still enough of that.

I actually have been selling off most of my Mosaic sets as the material becomes available on other CD's.  For instance, the Woody Shaw Columbia is totally trumped by that box set that Columbia put out - extra material, better sound, much lower price, smaller footprint.   Exception for me is the Woody Shaw Muse box - the 32jazz reissues are so shoddy, I don't have the heart to have that be my representation of that great material.   And the Elvin Jones, Lou Donaldson, Stanley Turrentine, Jackie McLean Blue Note boxes have important albums not readily available on Blue Note CD, and the Gerald Wilson and Jazz Crusaders Pacific Jazz sets the same.   Beyond that, I only have a smattering of big boxes (Roach, MJQ, Sonny Stitt come to mind), and I expect to sell them eventually.  I have kept a lot more of the Selects, which I prefer.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I have all the Selects and big boxes I want at this point. I’ve sold a few but at this point the only I want to sell is the second Herman big box, which I may post here soon. 

The mid-to-late 1940s Columbia set?  That's an awesome collection, for anybody who doesn't have it and is interested.  Excellent liners by Loren Schoenberg, too.