Question about Mosaic CDs

Perhaps an odd query, but have Mosaic CDs gotten thinner in recent years?  Between working in record stores and handling CDs all the time at home and at work, I've gotten fairly sensitive to the weight of a standard CD (I can usually tell if a case is missing the CD before I open it) and some of the CDs from the past few Mosaics feel just a tad lighter to me than those from older editions.  Not sure that it matters, just curious if anybody else has had this perception.

Just that they feel thinner, lighter, a little less sturdy.  I haven't had any break on me, but the weight feels oh-so-slightly different.  Could be my imagination, and I don't really have any concerns about it, but I noticed it yet again when I was removing one of the discs from the recent Lester Young set here at work.  

It seems to be an across the board thing, not unique to Mosaic. I've noticed for a while that CDs generally are lighter, I even suspected some might be CDRs which turned out to be genuine CDs. If you compare an early CD to a current one, they almost always feel more substantial.

I guess pressing plants have changed their spec.

The plastic used in CD cases has definitely gotten lighter.  I think they’ve also shaved some millimeters off the dimensions of the cases.  Try fitting the back cover (underneath the CD tray) from a newer CD into an older case - you can barely read the spine.

3 hours ago, 2scoops said:

It seems to be an across the board thing, not unique to Mosaic. I've noticed for a while that CDs generally are lighter, I even suspected some might be CDRs which turned out to be genuine CDs. If you compare an early CD to a current one, they almost always feel more substantial.

I guess pressing plants have changed their spec.

The really old ones made in Germany look and feel much more substantial to me.  Not saying that's a good thing, just an observation.

Now that you mention it,  David ... ^_^

I've had a similar feeling every now and then too, figuring they somehow seem to have gotten more flexible (which MIGHT mean "thinner"?)

The other day I received a 2-CD set from Jasmine where I really had trouble removing the CDs from the jewel case hubs. They flexed so that I did not dare to go on as I was afraid they might break. Following your post I now compared the CDs from this set with the first really early CD I was able to pick quickly from my collection (Thelonious Monk  Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 - BN CDP 7815102 which is from 1989 according to the inlay). I didn't take out my vernier caliper (so I may be proven wrong) but the Monk CD DOES feel and look thicker than the Jasmine CD to me.

21 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Now that you mention it,  David ... ^_^

I've had a similar feeling every now and then too, figuring they somehow seem to have gotten more flexible (which MIGHT mean "thinner"?)

The other day I received a 2-CD set from Jasmine where I really had trouble removing the CDs from the jewel case hubs. They flexed so that I did not dare to go on as I was afraid they might break. Following your post I now compared the CDs from this set with the first really early CD I was able to pick quickly from my collection (Thelonious Monk  Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1 - BN CDP 7815102 which is from 1989 according to the inlay). I didn't take out my vernier caliper (so I may be proven wrong) but the Monk CD DOES feel and look thicker than the Jasmine CD to me.

Jasmine are CD-R`s ....

26 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Those that I have don't look like that to me at all, neither more recent ones nor older ones.

Which releases are YOU thinking of?

Bought

WILTON "Bogey" GAYNAIR - Blue Bogey (Jasmine JASCD 608)

from different sources and after a couple of CD-R`s gave up.

BTW : Gaynier´s "Africa Calling" from Candid UK was also a CD-R ....

Well, you're right and then you're not. I just checked about a dozen British jazz CDs as well as a good handful of non-jazz CD I have on Jasmine and they all look like regular CDs to me (with the JASCD or JASMCD no. etched on the back too) EXCEPT the most recent one I bought (the one mentioned above) which does look like a CD-R indeed according to "fine print" on the back of the CD. Strange ... (and hard to identify from the look of the label side of the CD etc.). It has a publication date of 2010 so I am inclined to think this is a repressing that they did on CD-R. Will have to look for another recently bought CD to compare, then ...

I'm not sure they're enough "thinner" that I've noticed any different by weight -- but considering how tightly the interior "teeth" hold discs on some of their recent multi-disc sets ("interior" meaning where discs #2 & #3 are held, in a 4-disc "fat-boy" jewel-box) -- I definitely *HAVE* notices how easily the CD's bend (or maybe "flex" is the better term).  Before I broke off half the spokes (teeth) of those "interior" holders, I was always terrified I was going to snap one or more of the discs clean in half!!

So, yeah, I've noticed that Mosaic's more recent CD's seem to bend (flex) a bit more easily -- which would be consistent with being thinner.

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

220px-Dynaflex.jpg 

You know what was fun? To have two copies of Stick It, and use one to play along with the opening triangle of "Space Shuttle". It took a little practice, but those Dynaflex LPs were good for not a whole lot more.

What? :crazy:  I'm totally not catching your drift.  Like not even a little.

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You've never had a Dynaflex LP?

Looking them up just now...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynaflex_(RCA

...I don't think I ever did.  But I do sort of remember there being some SUPER-thin LP's at the AM "Moldy Oldies" station I worked at (on-air) back in college (around 1990). Mostly K-Tel records (iirc), which were as floppy as all get-out.  Haven't thought about those in years.  Almost 30-minutes of music per side too, iirc.  And being various-artist LP's(!!), MANY a time jocks would put those on and let 'em play for a full 30-minutes, so they could go out and take a long smoke break (some of them smoking god knows what).

If those were them, and were on Dynaflex, then I suppose I do remember them -- if not by name.  Oh, and just found this clip...

Edited by Rooster_Ties