Mosaic sets which are worth keeping despite material being made available elsewhere.

I kinda look at "Mosaic" and "individual CDs" as different things.

Oh, covers, Muse vs 32 Jazz...Muse ftw, imo. They had as distinct a look oi the shelves in their day as anybody. You're flipping through and you see a Muse, you knew it was a Muse.32 Jazz was just like, hey, whatever, we got a guy with a computer and he does this for free, if you really passed up the LPs, that's on you, and if you didn't, hey, take it or leave it.

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I think that was a little while before I started buying Mosaics and maybe I had a bit too much of it on LP already. Ah well...

MG

I only just snagged a copy (LP) just as it hit Last Chance. I remember debating at the time should I go for the LP or CD version? One of the first Mosaics I ever bought.

Like a few others, I take the cds out of the boxes and put them on the shelves with my other cds. I keep the booklets on a separate shelf and store the boxes. I'm a lot more likely to listen to them that way, and a massive wall of black and white boxes would indeed look a little...somber! I didn't get all the Mosaics in the early days--couldn't afford it--and when the music later came out on individual cds, I often bought it that way (Don Cherry, Tina Brooks, Freddie Redd, Grant Green with Sonny Clark). In all those cases (except the Green, because it wasn't available) I was able to get the Mosaic booklets. The only sets I regret not getting were the two Vee Jay sets. I had the music on Blue Moon and got the booklets, but I think the Mosaic discs would have been better. I look occasionally at Ebay for those sets, but they're still silly expensive, so I pass 'em by. So it goes.

gregmo