More unreleased Bill Evans from Resonance Records looming ahead ....

soulpope

Zev Feldman via Facebook :

"TALKIN' BILL EVANS! Had the great pleasure of interviewing the legendary bassist Eddie Gomez and music journalist/author extraordinaire Marc Myers (many of you are familiar with his fantastic JazzWax blog I'm sure) yesterday in NYC for Resonance's upcoming Bill Evans release. More info coming soon!"

".... we’re continuing to find incredible, previously unissued recordings of Bill all these years later. Can’t wait to share more soon."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Zev Feldman via Facebook :

"TALKIN' BILL EVANS! Had the great pleasure of interviewing the legendary bassist Eddie Gomez and music journalist/author extraordinaire Marc Myers (many of you are familiar with his fantastic JazzWax blog I'm sure) yesterday in NYC for Resonance's upcoming Bill Evans release. More info coming soon!"

".... we’re continuing to find incredible, previously unissued recordings of Bill all these years later. Can’t wait to share more soon."

The guy that made the recent Bill Evans Doc said he tried to interview Eddie Gomez for the film, but Gomez wouldn't do it unless he was paid a few thousand bucks. The filmmaker told him, 'later'.

• 2 years later...

This December, Resonance is apparently releasing the two Buenos Aires concerts on vinyl — 1973 with Gomez and Morell, and 1979 with Johson and LaBarbera. The concerts have been circulating for some time, but I'm guessing these new releases will be with the permission of the Evans estate. I've never owned the bootlegs, so it'll be nice to hear these new versions ... hopefully on CD as well.

Maybe it's me but the Resonance/Zev fascination with Evans (and Wes, frankly) is getting tiresome. Are these guaranteed sellers so that's why they keep coming?  Personally I'd appreciate some more from the less well-known greats, instead of more and more from The Greats.

45 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Maybe it's me but the Resonance/Zev fascination with Evans (and Wes, frankly) is getting tiresome. Are these guaranteed sellers so that's why they keep coming?  Personally I'd appreciate some more from the less well-known greats, instead of more and more from The Greats.

Agreed. And I think you answered your own questions. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Where are the horn-players?

Feldman also produces those Reel to Real releases that include Adderley in Seattle, Griff & Lock at the Penthouse, and the recent Land, Coleman and Roy Brooks live sets. I'd be willing to bet that all of those Reel to Real releases sales figures combined don't meet a single one of the Resonance Evans album's revenues. I could be wrong of course as we can't see the books but it seems to me that Zev & Co keep the risk low for Resonance albums and hedge that with lesser known artists on other labels. Just a guess...

Resonance does have horn players like Rollins & Hargrove however, but they're definitely fewer and far between the names like Evans & Montgomery. 

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Yes, I agree. My collection of Bill Evans recordings is already very very large. Don't need any more.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

seems to me that Zev & Co keep the risk low for Resonance albums and hedge that with lesser known artists on other labels. Just a guess...

You could very well be right. Does Reel to Real make its nut from the LP market then? I do understand that's a partnership with Weeds. If these are guaranteed money-makers overall, why not toss some on Weeds' label?  Doesn't really matter, I just want more of the greats and near greats that the 'detective' discovers, and less of The Greats.

On 30-11-2018 at 2:57 PM, Brad said:

I guess Facebook is good for something ;)

Good news. The Evans albums Resonance have put out have been very good. 

Really? The ones I've heard (Another Time and Some Other Time) sounded pretty average, uninspired to me.

They seem to keep finding more and more Evans recordings. It’s turned into a mini business. However, the latest one, Behind the Dikes, was very good so I’m not complaining too much. 

1 minute ago, J.A.W. said:

Really? The ones I've heard (Another Time and Some Other Time) sounded pretty average, uninspired to me.

Did you listen to the latest one. I liked it a lot. 

22 minutes ago, Brad said:

They seem to keep finding more and more Evans recordings. It’s turned into a mini business. However, the latest one, Behind the Dikes, was very good so I’m not complaining too much. 

Did you listen to the latest one. I liked it a lot. 

No, I didn't, the two I mentioned were quite enough, and I don't feel the need to add to my 80+ Bill Evans collection.. Besides, I don't like Marty Morell.

9 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

No, I didn't, the two I mentioned were quite enough, and I don't feel the need to add to my 80+ Bill Evans collection.. Besides, I don't like Marty Morell.

80 is definitely a lot. I think I have around 30.  Why don’t you like Marty?

I've been on a 70's/80 Evans kick lately, so I don't mind more releases. The recording that has really been clicking for me lately is The Sesjun Radio Shows. Some beautiful arco playing by Gomez there, which you don't always hear (usually pizzicato).

I'm looking forward to the (official?) release of the Buenos Aires concerts. I just hope there will be CD issues.

One thing about Evans concerts/broadcasts — some of them were really well-recorded.

7 hours ago, Brad said:

80 is definitely a lot. I think I have around 30.  Why don’t you like Marty?

I find it difficult to describe, to my ears he just didn't sound "right" in the trio, not like Paul Motian did for example. There are more albums, some of them revered, where a musician doesn't sound comfortable/"right" to me, like for instance Kenny Dorham with Cecil Taylor, and John Coltrane on his Blue Train.

Edited by J.A.W.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, Late said:

This December, Resonance is apparently releasing the two Buenos Aires concerts on vinyl — 1973 with Gomez and Morell, and 1979 with Johson and LaBarbera. The concerts have been circulating for some time, but I'm guessing these new releases will be with the permission of the Evans estate. I've never owned the bootlegs, so it'll be nice to hear these new versions ... hopefully on CD as well.

Someone on Hoffman posted that they would be Morning Glory, a 1973 concert at the Teatro Gram Rex in Buenos Aires; and Inner Spirit, a 1979 concert at the Teatro General San Martin in Buenos Aires.