Some never before seen photos from the Great Day In Harlem.”

Hardbopjazz

Anyone got the DELUXE edition signed by kane ,Golson and Quincy Jones?

DELUXE EDITION : Only 200 copies in special slipcase and different cover, signed by Quincy Jones, Benny Golson and Jonathan Kane. With an exclusive signed/numbered 8x10 inches fine art print (signed by Jonathan Kane) and a commemorative poster. RRP 350 Euro. Deluxe edition available exclusively via wallofsoundgallery.com.

On 26.12.2018 at 1:00 AM, medjuck said:

My wife got it for me for Xmas.  I love it.  Makes me very nostalgic for the era and my youth. 

Was finally able to open my copy at Christmas Eve too, and it made for some lengthy and very interesting browsing. Very glad I got this one.

However, without wanting to nitpick, I have a few regrets, maybe due to somewhat false hopes after having read the background story linked in the opening thread and seen the documentary.

1) A bit more background info and memories/anecdotes about how the shooting went along would have been welcome.
2) Captions would not have hurt either in many cases (would have helped to avoid some of the leafing to the ID page and back ;))
3) I realize the "Closer Look" section does not include all the "Frame by Frame" contact prints but I have my doubts about the selection of some of the full-size views. One or two fluffed exposures where some car drives through the scenery in mid-shoot or someone sees fit to step directly in front of the lens, blocking most of the view, may be nice to show the "in-process" stages of the photo shoot, but they could have limited these a bit. Instead I'd rather have seen a full-size view of the close-up of Pee Wee Russell, for example, and of what looks like an "alternate take" of the final and published group picture. This one can be seen on the extreme right of the cover (differences being that Mary Lou Williams and Roy Eldridge look towards the camera, whereas Prez and Dizzy look sideways). This would have been a nice one for comparison (and maybe discussions about which one would have been the bestest in the end after all ;)).

The overall idea and concept of this book remind me of the "Charlie Parker" book by Esther Bubley (the title being not quite correct, except as a selling argument, as the other musicians of that July, 1952 Norman Granz session are also featured extensively): Contact prints first, full size next. But the Bubley book has a lot more backgrund info about the shooting and the context.

BTW, anybody checked the biographies closer yet? One goof that struck me was that Rex Stewart did not die in 1972 (as stated there) but in 1967

Edited by Big Beat Steve