Perry Robinson (1938-2018)

clifford_thornton

Sad to hear that the great clarinetist Perry Robinson has passed on. 

Perry stayed at the house I shared with my then-girlfriend when he came through Austin with Burton Greene about ten years ago. It was a gas staying up into the night with him talking about the music and his many travels. He and Burton performed two concerts as a duo and had local musicians sit in as well; I also did an interview that was filmed, though I don't know whatever happened to it (I'd interviewed Burton years before, separately). Saw Perry again a few times since relocating east, the last with Michael Marcus a few months ago -- and at that time Perry was looking quite frail, though he could still play with that magic tone of his. 

The autobiography he co-wrote with Florence Wetzel, The Traveler, is a great read. Been spending a lot of time with it again lately. 

9 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Funk Dumpling is one of my favorite jazz albums, period.

The Traveler has some great bits about the Brubeck collaborations.

I also really like Funk Dumpling.  I am not aware of any other albums as leader or sideman for him from that era.  Am I correct, and if so, do we know why?

yeah, that was his first as a leader. Perry was also working as a sideman with Bill Dixon, Archie Shepp, the Jazz Composers' Guild Orchestra, and others during this period. 

He did have a cooperative trio with Bill Folwell and Tom Price called the Uni Trio, which started in Panama (where they were all in military service) and continued back in New York. There will be recordings from that band appearing in the coming year on Triple Point. Another variant had David Izenzon and Randy Kaye, and I've also heard a little of that group. 

I think it was hard to get record companies interested, but he was certainly making music with people at that time.

Sorry to hear this.

Very fond of the tremendous IAI LP (name escapes me at the moment) and his contributions to many Hampel recordings. 

'Funk Dumpling' has evaded me at a reasonable cost (the BYG version tends to be pressed off-centre on the evidence of three copies I've come into contact with).  I'm intrigued by the Triple Point release (will have to start saving now if it's at their usual price point)

53 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

'Funk Dumpling' has evaded me at a reasonable cost (the BYG version tends to be pressed off-centre on the evidence of three copies I've come into contact with).  I'm intrigued by the Triple Point release (will have to start saving now if it's at their usual price point)

yes, all BYG copies are off center from my experience.

9 hours ago, felser said:

I also really like Funk Dumpling.  I am not aware of any other albums as leader or sideman for him from that era.  Am I correct, and if so, do we know why?

okay, I got a little turned around in chronology here -- after Funk Dumpling (early '62) and the World Youth Festival, Perry went into in the Army, where he formed the Uni Trio. He returned to NYC in 1965 and resumed performing and recording at that time. So that explains the break in recording dates for about a year and a half.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

okay, I got a little turned around in chronology here -- after Funk Dumpling (early '62) and the World Youth Festival, Perry went into in the Army, where he formed the Uni Trio. He returned to NYC in 1965 and resumed performing and recording at that time. So that explains the break in recording dates for about a year and a half.

I'm not aware of any Robinson dates (leader or noteworthy solo work as a sideman) from the mid-late 60's or early 70's either.  Can you fill in any details for me?

Henry Grimes "The Call" on ESP, 1965

Archie Shepp, "Mama Too Tight" on Impulse, 1966

Charlie Haden "Liberation Music Orchestra" on Impulse, 1970

Gunter Hampel, "Spirits" on Birth, 1971

Gunter Hampel, "Out Of New York" on MPS, 1971

Annette Peacock, "Revenge" on Polydor, 1971

Bobby Naughton, "Understanding" on Otic, 1972

Jeanne Lee, "Conspiracy" on Seeds/Earthforms, 1974

also, was just made aware of this, which is awesome:

A great loss.  Perry frequently came to Seattle -- to visit relatives, I think.  I met Perry on a few of his visits, heard him jam with various local musicians, and had some chances to visit with him.  A fiery improviser and a sweet character, he will be missed by all who knew him.

Although Robinson's genre is outside my usual comfort zone, I once saw him play at the old Boston Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) location on Boylston Street as part of William Parker's Bob's Pink Cadillac band and he was the highlight of the night. I actually went specifically to see William Parker, as I had been really digging "O'Neil's Porch". Instead, I left really appreciating Bob's Pink Cadillac, with Robinson being my main source of enjoyment. He was on fire.

Sadly, I never got to see him perform again. I don't think the ICA kept that venue going for very long.

Actually, googling this, I seem to remember Bob's Pink Cadillac opening for one of Parker's bands. It may have been the band with Kidd Jordan: https://www.discogs.com/Allen-Drake-Jordan-Parker-Silva-The-All-Star-Game/release/1046478. I also saw Parker a year later at the ICA with his Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra, so Bob's Pink Cadillac may have opened for either of these shows.