Wayne Shorter

Hardbopjazz

13 hours ago, BFrank said:

I was surprised when I saw pix from the Kennedy Center, too. I haven't heard anything either. The last couple of times I've seen him he has been playing seated, but he always walks out on stage. Have tix to see him at SFJAZZ in January.

Last time I saw BB King (which was probably 5 years before he died) I spotted him offstage before the show in a wheelchair.  He was helped up and walked out on stage and as he has done so since at least the first time I saw him, played seated. I don't think Wayne is big on sharing personal details so whether its an occasional thing, a full time thing, or heck maybe he had knee or hip replacement and needs to be in a chair for convalescence we probably won't know. (that last one seems doubtful though as I think all these surgeries for the elderly are meant to get you up on your feet pretty quickly.)

I have more respect for Wayne now, not that I didn't before, after reading this article. It mentions he had a 14 year old developmentally disabled daughter who died in 1986, and his wife, who was killed in 1996 in a TWA plane crash. Two big losses like that would have broke me emotionally. I'm sure he channeled those losses into his music. You have to have an outlet to vent your sorrow. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/wayne-shorter-at-80-catching-his-second-wind/2013/09/19/1b42e312-1f0d-11e3-8459-657e0c72fec8_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9391dad3abb3

1 hour ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I have more respect for Wayne now, not that I didn't before, after reading this article. It mentions he had a 14 year old developmentally disabled daughter who died in 1986, and his wife, who was killed in 1996 in a TWA plane crash. Two big losses like that would have broke me emotionally. I'm sure he channeled those losses into his music. You have to have an outlet to vent your sorrow. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/wayne-shorter-at-80-catching-his-second-wind/2013/09/19/1b42e312-1f0d-11e3-8459-657e0c72fec8_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9391dad3abb3

Hardbop, a few years ago, I read Wayne's biography by Michelle Mercer, Footprints: The Life and Work of Wayne Shorter.  It's a fascinating book, and it goes into those sorts of life-events that have informed his music.  I'd recommend it to any fan of Shorter's music.  (And who isn't?!?!?)

BTW: Shorter collaborated with the author; it's an "authorized" biography.

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds a little ominous. But I have tickets for the Jan 3 show, which should be excellent.
Thinking of Wayne ...

Due to illness Wayne Shorter will not perform — All-Star Concerts will pay tribute

Friends of Wayne Shorter to Celebrate
His Legacy and Music at SFJAZZ

While the legendary saxophonist recovers from an illness precluding travel, friends from his musical family will gather to celebrate the NEA Jazz Master's incredible body of work. 

Legendary saxophonist Wayne Shorter will be honored by an amazing array of his peers January 3-6 at SFJAZZ. For these historic concerts celebrating the 11-time GRAMMY winner and recent Kennedy Center Honors recipient, a wonderful group of his musical "family members" will perform music from his celebrated career along with Shorter's longtime band members. Artists scheduled to perform in various configurations throughout the four-day residency include Herbie Hancock, Branford Marsalis, Kamasi Washington, Terence Blanchard, Joshua Redman, Ambrose Akinmusire, and Terrace Martin along with Shorter's longtime band Brian Blade, Danilo Pérez, and John Patitucci.

THU-SUN, JAN 3-6
SCHEDULE

THU, JAN 3
Herbie Hancock piano & keyboards
Terence Blanchard trumpet
Terrace Martin alto saxophone & keyboards
Danilo Pérez piano
John Patitucci bass
Brian Blade drums

FRI, JAN 4
Branford Marsalis tenor saxophone
Terence Blanchard trumpet
Danilo Pérez piano
John Patitucci bass
Brian Blade drums

SAT, JAN 5
Kamasi Washington tenor saxophone
Terrace Martin alto saxophone & keyboards
Danilo Pérez piano
John Patitucci bass
Brian Blade drums

SUN, JAN 6
Joshua Redman tenor saxophone
Ambrose Akinmusire trumpet
Danilo Pérez piano
John Patitucci bass
Brian Blade drums

NOTE: Wayne Shorter will not be in attendance for these concerts.

If you have any questions or would like to request a refund, please contact our Box Office at boxoffice@sfjazz.org or 415.788.7353. 

We send our thoughts to Wayne Shorter and his family as he recovers.

—SFJAZZ

• 1 month later...