New Art Pepper releases from Laurie Pepper

GA Russell

1 minute ago, Gheorghe said:

Only the pianist ? Maybe, I don´t remember who was on bass and drums. But George Cables ? I believe the scheduled pianist would have been Milcho Leviev, and I had heard that there was a big verbal fight between Art and him and it is very possible that Leviev decided to quit and did let Art "stranded" without a pianist. 

George Cables leads me to Dexter, who also played in Velden in 1981. Cables had been a long time pianist for Dex, but during that time was replaced by Kirk Leightsey. That´s the two quartets I saw then: Art Pepper with Lou Levy, and Dex with Kirk Leightsey......

About Art Pepper: I´m always astonished how articulated he was on stage, greeting the audience, thanking for applause, announcing the tunes etc, and I think backstage he was really nasty.....

Lou Levy (p) + David Williams (b) + Carl Burnett (dr) .... but your are right t´regarding Milcho Leviev missing out in Velden ....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Lou Levy (p) + David Williams (b) + Carl Burnett (dr) .... but your are right t´regarding Milcho Leviev missing out in Velden ....

Oh, David Williams on bass ? I didn´t know he played with Pepper too, I mostly associated him with Cedar Walton (did you see Cedar Walton at "Reigen" . Reigen was cool for us, only 3 stations with linia 60. 

You really have the names of sideman from the festivals of that period ? 

57 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh, David Williams on bass ? I didn´t know he played with Pepper too, I mostly associated him with Cedar Walton (did you see Cedar Walton at "Reigen" . Reigen was cool for us, only 3 stations with linia 60. 

You really have the names of sideman from the festivals of that period ? 

Only from this .... still have a copy of Walter Richard Langer's concert broadcast with musician's names disclosed ....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...