2018 rock hall inductees

Milestones

I don't know if many people care.  I'm from the Cleveland area and I grew up on Rock before discovering jazz.  I've been to the the Rock Hall a couple of times, and all told it's not bad.   But inductees at this point...not much happening here, seems to me.

• The Cure--heard the name, but don't know, don't care.
  • Def Leppard--don't care.
  • Janet Jackson--don't care.
  • Stevie Nicks--good with Mac, but her solo career is not substantial.
  • Radiohead--heard the name, but don't know, don't care.
  • Roxy Music--a few good tunes, but Hall of Fame?
  • The Zombies--ditto.  How long were the Zombies around?

Edited by Milestones

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Cure--i dont like the cure but i like girls who like the cure, does that make sense?
  • Def Leppard-- very sad to see this, sure they rock i guess, but couldnt stand them.  the only connection
    to their music i have is that Tony Kaye played uncredited keyboards (electric guitar sounds) on Pyromania. 
  • Janet Jackson-- those late mid-late 80s albums of hers were huge, and although not rock, i can see her getting this
  • Stevie Nicks--YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT ITS NOT JUST ABOUT HER SOLO ALBUMS ITS ALL ENCOMPASSING RECOGNITION OF THE WHOLE STEVIE CONECPT- IT DOES TRANCEND FLEETWOOD MAC INTO ITS OWN THING AND THATS WHERE THE AWARD COMES ALONG
  • Radiohead--look i dont listen to them but when multiple people, multiple people, have sat me down and proclaimed to me: dawg you have to experience this album it is really really important, well i have to respect that
  • Roxy Music--fantastic to see this and hope this leads to some sort of reunion, of which i will go
  • The Zombies--ditto.  How long were the Zombies around? I saw them this summer and the summer before that and even the year before- they broke up in the late 60s after odysey if thats what you were going for but theyre back- and colin stlll sounds amazing

you know to tell you the truth i cant believe Todd didnt get it yet

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

You know what upsets me the most here? That is took allowing the public to vote before they allowed any prog rockers in. This year, to continue their blockade on Jethro Tull, they didn't even allow them on the nominees list because they KNEW that they'd get in on a landslide, thus proving how fucking moronic Jann Wenner truly is.

Janet Jackson & The Zombies over Jethro Tull and Todd Rundgren? Fucking stupid.

From the museum site, here are the criteria for induction:

"Artists—a group encompassing performers, composers and/or musicians—become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first commercial recording. Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll."

I don't know if you can argue that any of this year's inductees had a "significant impact" but I can see an argument being made for the Zombies, Def Leppard and Radiohead. Janet Jackson, that I don't get. 

Count me as a Jethro Tull fan, big time.  That is a band that should have been in a long time ago.

Todd Rundgren is an amazing talent in every facet of music and should be in.

The Zombies...well, there have been many groups who got together (in whole or in part) decades past their heyday and tour and record; yet ask the man/woman on the street if they know this, the answer is no. And are these groups creative in their reunion years?  The answer is usually no. 

If HUGE visibility and sales are prime criteria, then I'm sure Kenny G. is in some kind of jazz hall of fame.

Edited by Milestones

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Roxy Muisc is ok by me.

I'm totally down with their 3rd, 4th, and 5th albums -- crazy good!  Lot less so with #1 (don't know/have #2 yet). But I get off the boat after #5 -- totally different vibe after that (and one that's not for me).

Took a while to get used to Brian Ferry's voice, and his nutty intonation -- but it's an "acquired taste" if the context is right (and the context of those RM albums #3-5 is really damn tasty!!).  It's the band's sound that's the draw for me, a lot more than Ferry's voice -- though I'll admit it's definitely 'interesting'.

This song (from album #4) kept coming up on a David Bowie seeded Pandora channel I had a few years ago, and I was blown away every time.  Like primordial Duran Druan!  I could not, and still cannot believe this is from 1974... :o

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Arguably one of the better batches of inductees to RR Hall in years.

The Cure especially, imho, and Radiohead too pretty obviously.

Not a huge fan of all of them, but not a single one leaves a sour taste in my, um, er... ear!

They only started allowing fans to vote on the inductees in 2013, which is why bands like Yes, Roxy Music & The Cure have finally gotten the nod. They never would have gotten with Wenner in charge. But the problem is this: An artist or band has be "nominated" by the Hall to get their name on the ballot. A band that hasn't been nominated cannot get in.

So the fix is still in.

The Zombies over Tull... WTF?

I have a dream of Jethro Tull getting in next year and at the awards ceremony, they modify the lyrics to one of their multiple hits to give the Hall and Wennr the middle finger. Sorta like a "Zanz Can't Dance" thing. :)

I own The Zombies' "Greatest Hits" CD, bought mainly because Hoffman remastered it and his board members were raving about it. It has 18 songs, only 4 that I had heard before and one of them, "She's Not There" was a much bigger hit for Santana than it was for them (and rocked more too). Granted, they were well before my time, but so is a lot of rock that I listen to. During their heyday (1965-68), they issued 2 whole albums and I didn't know anyone back in the day who owned either one.

Jethro Tull has not one but two greatest hits CDs and another that combines the biggest of them ("Original Masters"). I knew all of these songs before I bought any of these albums/CDs. They also issued 11-12 LPs during their heyday, which, depending on how you look at it, likely spans a good 10-12 years. Personally, I'm not a big fan of anything past "Heavy Horses", but that's me. I also know a ton of people who have a majority of these albums.

From my perspective, this is no contest. WTF stands.

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'm totally down with their 3rd, 4th, and 5th albums -- crazy good!  Lot less so with #1 (don't know/have #2 yet).

Those are the two w/Eno. It all sounds so normal today.

I mean, it all kinda sounds like bullshit now, not really bullshit, but like people who think Fletcher Henderson sounds corny because they have no perspective and think the nothing meaningful happened before what they know. Well, hey, good luck with that, because everything old was new at one time (except shit that never was anything to begin with).

And I really don't get the indifference towards The Zombies, maybe it's a kid thing. But in the day, they didn't sound like anything else on the Top 40, and even today, if you can find an oldies station that doesn't begin with Elton John, they STILL don't sound like anything else. This used to be a singles music, ok, and three iconic singles that don't need ANY musical justification, that's enough for me. And I do think they've been influential, although hell, don't ask me about that, I don't listen to too much of anything like that today. The last thing I recall thinking as oh, Zombies influence was "Walking On the Sun", which all the years I played in pukeass cover bands was NOT ONCE added to anybody's rep, I mean how lame is that?

If I could dance, I would dance to this. But hey - you hear a song and KNOW who the influence was rather than having to be told by some psedo-hipster "historian", I think you earn dsome cred and the props that go with it.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Roxy Muisc is ok by me.

Fascinating radio programme on BBC the other day about Brian Ferry’s early jazz influences in Newcastle. Turns out he was buying Chris Barber and Charlie Parker vinyl and was into the local vibrant jazz and blues scene of that city in the 50s (‘The Kansas City of the North’). You can hear some of that influence on early Roxy but it comes out more clearly on Ferry’s recent stuff.

I don't have much to comment about these selections, but they seem so small-bore.  Each appeals to a different subculture within the music-buying public, but none, I think, has wide appeal, or was able to span a few of those subcultures.  I will say that I was listening to top 40 radio, on my 2-transistor, when "She's Not There" came out, and it was like nothing I had heard before.  Very sophisticated, very cool, and you could dance to it!

13 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Each appeals to a different subculture within the music-buying public, but none, I think, has wide appeal, or was able to span a few of those subcultures.  I will say that I was listening to top 40 radio, on my 2-transistor, when "She's Not There" came out, and it was like nothing I had heard before.  Very sophisticated, very cool, and you could dance to it!

I would say The Cure have been "like nothing I'd heard before" to quite a number of folks.  It's easy to say they're a "goth" band, but I think Robert Smith is a "voice of a generation"-sort of icon.  Maybe not THE voice of a generation -- but he's one of THE biggest of maybe a dozen voices (12 tops) that define the sound of an entire genre.  Peter Murphy is another (Bauhaus, but Murphy's solo career has been as important, I'd argue).

Robert Smith (of the Cure) has written a dozen big hits, but also a handful of truly iconic albums -- that really work as albums.

And he's had a number critical successes over 20 years, out of a career that's just shy of 40 years.

He (Smith, of The Cure), and Radiohead -- are the two most important of any of those being inducted this year -- and both are arguably as important as anyone inducted in the last 5 or even 10 years.  Certainly Radiohead is, and I'd argue The Cure too.

The Cure were one of maybe half-a-dozen of THE most iconic bands of my college years (87-91), and the "college years" of those who preceded me in school by 4-5 years.  And that was almost ENTIRELY based on the music, and not "image" or the popular "look" of the band.

Just my take.

24 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I don't have much to comment about these selections, but they seem so small-bore.  Each appeals to a different subculture within the music-buying public, but none, I think, has wide appeal, or was able to span a few of those subcultures. 

Maybe it's an age thing (and I have no idea how old you are). 

The Cure were huge in the 80's/90's.  Def Leppard was *huge* in the 80's in commercial pop rock.  Neither seem "small bore" to me at all.  

Stevie Nicks was huge in the 70's and 80's both with FM and solo (and with Tom Petty on a number of tracks).  

Radiohead's been pretty damn popular as well - very interesting but accessible rock.  A little newer than the others.  

Janet Jackson isn't rock, but that's not a criteria for the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.  She was also big in the 80's on the pop charts, less so and more R&B since then.  

Older folks should know Roxy and the Zombies. 

PS - My wife goes to some shows she wouldn't normally go to (John Scofield, David Weiss, Opeth, Beach House, and others). 've gone to a number of more commercial rock/country shows with her over the past few years as well.  They've been alot of fun - Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Tim McGraw, and Lady Antebellum, etc.  But they're not likely shows I'd have gone to otherwise.  But even seeing Def Leppard earlier this year showed me how huge they were (and still are) for many, so I get why a band like that goes into the RnR HoF.