2018 rock hall inductees

Milestones

I'll stick to my subculture reference:

The Cure--goth, mope, synth dance (I don't say any of that pejoratively - I owned one of their albums, and can appreciate them for who they are).

Def Leppard--heavy metal.

Janet Jackson--r&b, dance.

Stevie Nicks--wiccans, new age spirituality, women.

Radiohead--never heard them, but I'm sure it's for the under-50 crowd (which probably isn't the R&R HoF crowd). 

Roxy Music--intellectual prog-rock.

The Zombies--top 40 in the Sixties.

Maybe they're just running out of huge acts to nominate.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roxy "prog rock"? Hmmmm....not sure about that? Yes, Crimson, Gentle Giant, all that (Tull, too, I guess, although I've always found them to be a dreadful waste of time far more often than not). Roxy to me was more of the "glam" scene, although a lot more "ironic". There was a lot of UK stuff going on that didn't really translate to the US charts at the time. Like, the only US "Hit" they had for a looooong time was "Love Is The Drug", and that's certainly not prog. And Ferry's whole "suave" persona...

Here they are live. Those chords certainly don't sound like Yes in the least. More like a fey Pete Townsend!

Anyway, I really like how Eno evolved from a potential lost wanker to a serious artist with a real skill set. Is HE in the hall yet?

And please note - it IS a real hall, with a building and shit.

9 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Janet was huge in the late 80’s/early 90’s, so I can see it. 

Def Leppard was fucking HUGE in the 80’s, so I can see that, too. 

The Zombies thing confound me as well. Might as well put Rob Zombie in...

dawg your hillarous, check it out: after the zombies concert this some this crackhead came running up the people leaving theatre and shes screaming I THOUGHT IT WAS ROB ZOMBIE, NOT THE ZOMBIES AAAARRGRGRGHHHHOHOHFPFFFFF!!!!!!!!    And so i sped up and buzzed away to get away from the crazy person.  Well I'm waiting around maybe hoping to say hi to colin and rod and this lady is still yelling at people about her disappointment that rob zombie was not booked.  She was aboustely spun out of her mind, probably meth if you ask me.  More people do it than you realise.  I just cant think of anything else that would cause someone to be so nutz.  When she eventually stopped yelling and I got a solid look at her, I realzed she was freaking beautiful, she looked like a 23 year old gina llollobridgidia or some other italian, i mean aboustely flawless.  so i plop down next to her and start the convo.  Eventually I asked her if she wanted to make out and she just rolled her eyes and is like oh really you want to do that do you.  I was ok with that answer cause she definetly did not say "no i do not consent, that is making me uncomfortable", instead giving a cheeky response.  So I stayed at it and got some arm around her action and got to feel her up, then more crew from the theatre come out and she starts up again with cursing them out about the rob zombie booking mistake.  Then shes like see ya and hops in a cab (which obviously costs money) and zips off, in a cab....do you know how expensive a cab is- 

In college, the Roxy Music with Eno was definitely considered part of the same circle of interest as King Crimson, Yes, Hatfield and the North, Gong, Matching Mole, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) and others.  Also, look at Roxy's subsequent pedigree: Eno with Fripp, Phil Manzanera with Eno-Nico-John Cale, Eddie Jobson with Zappa, John Wetton (King Crimson)...heck, Roxy's first album was produced by Peter Sinfield.

Edited by mjzee

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I'll stick to my subculture reference:

The Cure--goth, mope, synth dance (I don't say any of that pejoratively - I owned one of their albums, and can appreciate them for who they are).

Def Leppard--heavy metal.

Janet Jackson--r&b, dance.

Stevie Nicks--wiccans, new age spirituality, women.

Radiohead--never heard them, but I'm sure it's for the under-50 crowd (which probably isn't the R&R HoF crowd). 

Roxy Music--intellectual prog-rock.

The Zombies--top 40 in the Sixties.

Maybe they're just running out of huge acts to nominate.

Again, Cure/Def Leppard/Janet Jackson/Stevie Nicks/Radiohead were all huge.  Maybe not to you, but to many people.

I suspect you aged out of that type of music by the time those artists were huge.

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dawg your hillarous, check it out: after the zombies concert this some this crackhead came running up the people leaving theatre and shes screaming I THOUGHT IT WAS ROB ZOMBIE, NOT THE ZOMBIES AAAARRGRGRGHHHHOHOHFPFFFFF!!!!!!!!    And so i sped up and buzzed away to get away from the crazy person.  Well I'm waiting around maybe hoping to say hi to colin and rod and this lady is still yelling at people about her disappointment that rob zombie was not booked.  She was aboustely spun out of her mind, probably meth if you ask me.  More people do it than you realise.  I just cant think of anything else that would cause someone to be so nutz.  When she eventually stopped yelling and I got a solid look at her, I realzed she was freaking beautiful, she looked like a 23 year old gina llollobridgidia or some other italian, i mean aboustely flawless.  so i plop down next to her and start the convo.  Eventually I asked her if she wanted to make out and she just rolled her eyes and is like oh really you want to do that do you.  I was ok with that answer cause she definetly did not say "no i do not consent, that is making me uncomfortable", instead giving a cheeky response.  So I stayed at it and got some arm around her action and got to feel her up, then more crew from the theatre come out and she starts up again with cursing them out about the rob zombie booking mistake.  Then shes like see ya and hops in a cab (which obviously costs money) and zips off, in a cab....do you know how expensive a cab is- 

Dude, you know I love you, but that's a fucked up thing you did. If somebody is damaged, it's not even a little cool to think it's ok to go ahead and get in there because you know, she's already nutz, maybe this will be fun with the crazy hot chick. That is not cool. That just makes you another asshole for her to justify her own craziness with. People do break, ya' know, and vvery seldom is it jsut one thing that happens jsut one time. Usually it's cumulative, and now you are part of that.

To paraphrase the GPS, recalculate, bro, recalculate. You know I love you, but c'mon man, be better than THAT. Or not, your life.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

In college, the Roxy Music with Eno was definitely considered part of the same circle of interest as King Crimson, Yes, Hatfield and the North, Gong, Matching Mole, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) and others.  Also, look at Roxy's subsequent pedigree: Eno with Fripp, Phil Manzanera with Eno-Nico-John Cale, Eddie Jobson with Zappa, John Wetton (King Crimson)...heck, Roxy's first album was produced by Peter Sinfield.

wow, totally different experience than mine. the few people I knew who were into those others were NOT into Roxy, not even a little. They didn't dig Bryan Ferry, and that was where the discussion started and ended. Regional differences, no doubt.

18 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Classic. 

Regarding the Zombies, their sound was different and as an “older” listener :lol: they were important, especially for the reasons Jim mentioned. For some who say how could you pick them over Tull or whatever person/group you want to mention, how about considering them in their own right?

On 12/14/2018 at 1:11 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:
  • The Cure--i dont like the cure but i like girls who like the cure, does that make sense?
  • Def Leppard-- very sad to see this, sure they rock i guess, but couldnt stand them.  the only connection
    to their music i have is that Tony Kaye played uncredited keyboards (electric guitar sounds) on Pyromania. 
  • Janet Jackson-- those late mid-late 80s albums of hers were huge, and although not rock, i can see her getting this
  • Stevie Nicks--YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE POINT ITS NOT JUST ABOUT HER SOLO ALBUMS ITS ALL ENCOMPASSING RECOGNITION OF THE WHOLE STEVIE CONECPT- IT DOES TRANCEND FLEETWOOD MAC INTO ITS OWN THING AND THATS WHERE THE AWARD COMES ALONG
  • Radiohead--look i dont listen to them but when multiple people, multiple people, have sat me down and proclaimed to me: dawg you have to experience this album it is really really important, well i have to respect that
  • Roxy Music--fantastic to see this and hope this leads to some sort of reunion, of which i will go
  • The Zombies--ditto.  How long were the Zombies around? I saw them this summer and the summer before that and even the year before- they broke up in the late 60s after odysey if thats what you were going for but theyre back- and colin stlll sounds amazing

you know to tell you the truth i cant believe Todd didnt get it yet

I'm with chewy -- I get Radiohead, Roxy, Nicks, Jackson. Totally makes sense.

The Cure were pretty awesome early on; not much into their late-80s pap, but up until that point, heavy band. Also they were very influential on a lot of underground/alternative rock acts, and have enjoyed immense popularity both in and outside of the mainstream. So again, makes absolute sense that they'd be honored. Probably a win for those into left-field goth rock.

Rundgren is the shit, should have gotten in already.

I'm good with the Zombies (five or six albums worth of really good material, even if it was ignored then) and the Cure.  But Def Leppard?  And I refuse to take any of it seriously until Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues and King Crimson are in. 

Def Leppard and Janice Jackson in the ROCK hall of fame and Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues and King Crimson not, and I'm supposed to take this seriously?  Come on.  

40 minutes ago, felser said:

Def Leppard and Janice Jackson in the ROCK hall of fame and Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues and King Crimson not, and I'm supposed to take this seriously?  Come on.  

The Moody Blues are already in: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/read-moody-blues-thankful-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-speeches-628973/

I get that a lot of people dig Tull, but I don't get it. Don't try to explain, I've had more than enough time to get it if I was going to. But they've sold enough records AND they got that infamous "hard rock" Grammy, so they should be in. But I'll be damned if I care one way or another, seriously, I mean, rock is just as irrelevant to modern times as jazz. so it's all feel-good nostalgia when it gets down to the hall-of-fame/consumer level. Only, at least, Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame has a building, something you can actually visit.

Either way, this is a good read: https://www.loudersound.com/features/what-happened-the-night-jethro-tull-beat-metallica-to-a-grammy-award

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

Good article.  Their winning was absurd. 

I'm still pissed that Justin Beiber got a nomination for Album of the Year the year David Bowie's magnum opus Blackstar didn't even get nominated...

...and if you all will permit me a 'Chewy'-esque moment -- Blackstar should have been Album of the Decade.

Harumph!! :angry: