How “Baby It’s Cold Outside” May Be Out in the Cold

Here's a couple of proposed compromises that involve just slightly tweaking the lyrics

Proposal #1, which could be the more lucrative option, depending on who exactly is willing to pony up for this prime real estate each Christmas:

" The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink, That's Absolut Vodka, Yes Absolut, the vodka for people who know nothing about vodka.  Absolutely nothing.

Proposal #2, simply change the subject of the conversation:

Say, what's in this -- OH MY GOD!  There's a spider!!!!!!

Proposal #3, change the subject of the sentence with a slight variation as well:

Version A:

Say, what's in this soup?  Is It fennel?  I bet it's fennel!

Version B (a more female empowering option):

Say, what's in this soup?  Is It fennel?  I bet it's fennel!  Wyatt, you know how much I hate fennel you goddamn sonofabitch!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the spider option, but if you could make it spiderMan, it could get licensed by Marvel and you'd guarantee that it would be heard in perpetuity.

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, is that SPIDERMAN!  I said it was bad out there!

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Personally, I'm triggered whenever I hear Ornette Coleman's music, and I think all of it should be banned.

Oh, so YOU'RE the director of programming at KNTU!

Well, my wife opened her radio show this evening with "Baby It's Cold Outside" and she ended up getting a few pledges for her show (between pledge drives). 

And I sincerely hope that the people who are offended by this song will be inspired to mix better cocktails with high-end ingredients.  Avoid corn syrup, if possible. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On December 19, 2018 at 9:49 AM, porcy62 said:

Thanks TTK, I am glad you're still around!

They keep trying to get rid of me, but I refuse to leave. 

23 minutes ago, paul secor said:

It would be interesting to hear a version with the singing roles reversed.

There is at least one version like this, can't remember the artists. 

NPR Article

Some stations who had banned the song faced backlash from listeners. KOIT in San Francisco removed it, then ran a poll about whether it should be restored.  The response was overwhelming and it was restored. https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/12/10/koit-yields-listeners-demands-returns-baby-its-cold-outside-playlist/

Letters to the Editor - New York Times

Edited by Brad

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, JSngry said:

This "controversy" is merely about the marketplace functioning in a fluid, and more importantly, responsive, manner. Statism is nowhere in the picture, not even lurking in the imaginary shadows. Ultimately this is all market-driven. Whatever nut-clinching "agendas" are feared here, it's still the marketplace responding to consumer demand. If it plays out that it costs more than it's worth, don't worry, they'll put it back. and if it doesn't play out like that, oh well, people spoke and the marketplace listened.

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

NPR Article

Some stations who had banned the song faced backlash from listeners. KOIT in San Francisco removed it, then ran a poll about whether it should be restored.  The response was overwhelming and it was restored. https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/12/10/koit-yields-listeners-demands-returns-baby-its-cold-outside-playlist/

wow, didn't see THAT one coming!!!!! :g

so NOW can we all chillax in front of the fire with a drink? And a fine jazz piano moods record?

749682_300.jpg

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

NPR Article

Let me try this again without getting political...

I like the song and I would hate to see it pulled from the airways - because I like it. Many people agree. But by ignoring women who have been sexually assaulted, who are admittedly a small minority of women, are we in essence saying that their pain doesn't matter? Our enjoyment trumps their pain?

With what is happening in the country right now, the Cosby conviction, the Les Moonves misconduct, Harvey Weinstein, a person who admitted to grabbing random women's pussies getting elected, a supreme court justice getting confirmed despite several women accusing him of sexual misconduct, Michael Weatherly "bull-ing" his co-star... the list just goes on & on. Shouldn't our attitudes be changing? This has been a problem for a long time. A very long time. It doesn't really matter if the initial intent of this song was a man & his wife flirting. We have a chance to do something. We can be more understanding. We can acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, those women shouldn't have to hear what many of them call "the date rape song" on the air over & over.

But clearly, that is not what's happening here. People want their holiday ditty and tough crap if it offends these women.

It's kinda sad.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

But clearly, that is not what's happening here. People want their holiday ditty and tough crap if it offends these women.

It's kinda sad.

So why not address what I posted earlier. A lot more women in this world have been physical assaulted than sexually assaulted. So if they are offended because Miles Davis abused women, he and his music have got to go, right? 

Now, as I've stated, I find the song to be rather lifeless, boring garbage. But banning art is some incredibly dicey shit, brother. The kind of dicey shit you usually only see under totalitarian regimes. And banning a song due to ones interpretation of innuendo? That's the diciest shit in the history of dicey shit! 

Sorry, if was explicit, "look here bitch, you ain't going nowhere! You're staying right here so I can drug you up and go all Cosby style on you!", then this conversation might actually make sense. 

28 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Let me try this again without getting political...

OK, but then you say:

28 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Shouldn't our attitudes be changing? This has been a problem for a long time. A very long time. It doesn't really matter if the initial intent of this song was a man & his wife flirting. We have a chance to do something. We can be more understanding. We can acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, those women shouldn't have to hear what many of them call "the date rape song" on the air over & over.

So you admit this push was political.  You want to "change the attitudes" of a large number of people; you want to punish them for enjoying the song and by not seeing the sinister overtones that "admittedly a small minority of women" might see.

We see the political attempt, and we're pushing back.

Keep your hands off my playlist!

5 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Who the fuck is "we"? Define that in specific terms, please?

And also tell me how "they" are - or can - coming for your playlist? Are you unable to hear this song anytime you want to?

Slippery slope my ass, this is more like a stooge slipping on a banana peel.

33 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

But banning art is some incredibly dicey shit, brother. The kind of dicey shit you usually only see under totalitarian regimes. And banning a song due to ones interpretation of innuendo? That's the diciest shit in the history of dicey shit! 

Ok, please - explain to me why you are conflating a dialogue between business and their consumers with "banning". That's absurd.

If we want to talk about who's trying to "ban" something, there are indeed wingnuts all around us, but what would a true ban look like? FCC rulings, removal of all product in all forms, even into search and seize all physical and digital copies, no availability on Amazon, eBay, YouTube. etc. That is so NOT going to happen.

And some radio stations deciding that they don't want to air it in response to consumer feedback (and then getting some more consumer feedback and deciding they WILL air it) is not going to make it happen.

What worries me more than this is the freaking out going on that some people are expressing preference that are different from their own and are then actually being listened to. WOW - other people DO have a voice, I'm SCARED!

People not wanting to hear something is not going to prevent people who DO want to hear it from hearing it. That's some kind of psycho paranoia. Look at the logistics and then LOL at that notion.

Oh, one more thing - the airways are still - for the time being - consider public, correct? Does "public" come with a limited definition? So if some of the public has a concern, how are they not allowed to voice it, and how are the guardians of this public trust (if I am remembering my childhood propaganda training correctly) not correct in listening to those concerns and proceeding as they best see fit?

2 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Not sure that's statistically true. 

Nor am I.

I have seen the word infinitely more times than I have seen it actually occur. Again, actual bans are more complicated and far-reaching than anything that has happened here.

I mean, if a station does not have the right to select both what they play and do not play, that would trouble me a helluva lot more than this. That would be an actually imposed loss of choice, Imposed on a commercial property. Utilizing public property.

These stations were not forced to not play the song, they chose not to.

Not complicated.

37 minutes ago, mjzee said:

You want to "change the attitudes" of a large number of people; you want to punish them for enjoying the song and by not seeing the sinister overtones that "admittedly a small minority of women" might see.

I cannot change anyone's attitude. Only you can do that. I can bemoan the fact that you won't. I certainly cannot "punish" anyone for enjoying this song. That's a ludicrous thing to say.

What I am saying is that there are women out there who are upset by the language in this song and that by some of us saying, in essence, "It's nothing. It's just harmless flirting. It's from a different era," you are completely ignoring their pain with this song being played.

I have no such pain. I actually like the song. And I do get where it's coming from and I do understand that it's not "the date rape song". However, I've never been raped. I have no idea how this is affecting these women. No idea at all.

I am willing to have to play this song from my collection to hear it. I am fine with that. I don't need to hear it on the radio as I've got probably 15-20 versions in my stash. And yes, it is in my playlist, so no, your playlist is safe too, :)

• JSngry locked this topic