How “Baby It’s Cold Outside” May Be Out in the Cold

right...so the lyric "hey, what's in this drink?" won't relate to anybody's real life experience as being rapey. And if it does, they're wrong for feeling that way and need to be educated. It's not the song's fault that times have changed, so these thoughts are wrong, don't have them. Men will define seduction, men will define rapey, women will not have a say (much less a voice) on any of this, times will change, songs won't, get over it.

All rightie, then. Let freedom ring!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, because only alcohol leads to rape. And obviously far more often than not! 

Fascinating bullshit you’ve been cooking up in this thread. 

I mean, can we post pictures of beds? Will those also relate to a lot of life experience as being “rapey”? 

Get the ever-living fuck out of here with that bullshit. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Wow dude, that's a bit, uh...extreme.

The issue is not "alcohol", it's drugs in the alcohol.

If you have kids old enough, ask them if they've heard of such a thing. Mine have.

And perhaps not surprisingly, both of them (they're 32 & 28 now) had a reaction when this "controversy" began, and both of them certainly said that that song had been kinda creepy to them for a while now. My daughter even used the exact word "rapey" (clearly she's been weaponized!!!!!), and she told me of "friends" who have indeed been drugged or otherwise date raped. Knowing enough to know that "friends" may or may not be a euphemism for self, I listened and did not try to give her a music history lesson in an attempt to shut her up.

Fascinating bullshit indeed!

So that line is strictly about roofies. Check. 

Sounds like really delusional bullshit, but I’ll accept that is your fantasy and you’re sticking to it. 

Back here in reality, she’d never know to ask that question because the most sinister aspect benzos in drinks is that there is no way for the person drinking it to notice anything is different about the drink. 

But, hey. Never let facts ruin a great fantasy! 

49 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Frank Loesser was also a time traveler since he was singing about Rohypnol way before it existed...

Aha! Great call, jcam! I had no idea, but with some quick research after reading your comment, tranquilizers/benzos weren’t even created until 1953, a decade after this song was written. And Rohypnol didn’t come about until the early 70’s. 

But who knows! Maybe Frankie had an insider within the pharmaceudical industry that told him about what was being studied. And being the evil genius that he is said to himself, “hey! This would work wonders if I slipped it in her drink!” 

I don't know about this wrong side of history thing, that seems kind of specious, but there is a wrong side of right now.

If any of you who are so gleefully mocking the real sensitivities about date rape as heard by some people in this song and cannot entertain the notion that feelings of discomfort around this song are legit have, let's say,  daughters, you are indeed on the wrong side of right now. They are talking and you are not listening.

And that is more fucked up than anything having to do with this song.

“Oops, yeah that whole date rape drug thing I mentioned was actually pretty stupid” is what you meant to say. 

Nobody is mocking sensitivities, that’s just a paper thin straw man you concocted after your previous comment was thoroughly thumped. 

Looking back over this thread earlier, it became perfectly clear the extreme level of mealy-mouthed eqivocation you’ve engaged in throughout this conversation in a desperate attempt to make everyone aware of your self-perceived righteousness. The “right side of history” is wherever Jim says it is, and trust me, folks, it is all OVER the place! 

I mean, we started out with a wonderfully coy comment on mutually agreeable seduction and the games that get played on the way to "yes" - a mutually agreeable yes.

Who ARE we?? And how did we get here?! 

1 minute ago, Scott Dolan said:

“Oops, yeah that whole date rape drug thing I mentioned was actually pretty stupid” is what you meant to say. 

Nobody is mocking sensitivities, that’s just a paper thin straw man you concocted after your previous comment was thoroughly thumped. 

Looking back over this thread earlier, it became perfectly clear the extreme level of mealy-mouthed eqivocation you’ve engaged in throughout this conversation in a desperate attempt to make everyone aware of your self-perceived righteousness. The “right side of history” is wherever Jim says it is, and trust me, folks, it is all OVER the place! 

Look dude, I've read your postings long enough to know that when your discourse gets to this level, you've crossed the point of rationality and are flaying about in some way to justify your own...whatever.

I remember this is what you did with Dan over some NFL thread, and you've done it before on other threads. It was bizarre then, and it's bizarre now.

"sensitivities" have been the point all along. Now you're saying that they're some kind of a straw man. No, that's been the point from the beginning, recognizing the sensitivities of others.

You are  becoming agitated. When do we see the rage go off the rails? I hope it's not in your house, and I hope it's not on this board.

:lol:

Yeah, that post you quoted was just seething with an uncontrollable rage! 

Again how did we get from a wonderfully coy comment on mutually agreeable seduction and the games that get played on the way to "yes" - a mutually agreeable yes, to a song with a line explicitly talking about a drug that wouldn’t be invented for another decade after it was written? 

See if you can actually stay on topic without feeling the need to attack my personality. ;) 

• JSngry locked this topic