Looking for jazz radio stations 2018

Stefan Wood

There's always WBGO, but my roku gets streaming from both them + something called WBGO2 that tends to have more interesting (for me) programming. Maybe somebody who lives in that market can explain the difference?

Ok, here we go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBGO

WBGO also broadcasts in HD Radio and transmits a separate jazz format, the "Jazz Bee" on its HD2 channel.

Both stations offer good programming, but the HD station tends to feature recent releases by newer artists of various degrees of non-bebop derived jazz.

Hey Stefan, a plug for my home team, which is not even close to 24/7 jazz, but here's what we have:

Monday-Thursday:  Just You And Me from 3-5 p.m. EST.  This is a live local program that I host, with new releases on Mondays, classic jazz on Tuesdays, live recordings and jazz requests on Wednesdays, and Indiana jazz (both past and present--so JJ, Wes Montgomery, Freddie Hubbard etc along with modern-day Indianapolis, IU Bloomington, and other state artists, or artists who are coming through the state) on Thursdays.  On Fridays Brother William Morris switches things up in the same time slot with The Soul Kitchen. You can stream WFIU1 live here:  WFIU

On Friday nights my colleague Mark Chilla hosts an excellent jazz-vocal program called Afterglow from 8-9 p.m.  It's pre-recorded and syndicated (WDCB-Chicago recently added it to their schedule, airing it on Wednesday evenings from 7-8 p.m. CST just before their broadcast of Night Lights), and, like Night Lights, made available for on-demand online listening as well:

Afterglow

Night Lights

We also carry WFMT's Jazz Network Friday evenings from 10 p.m. till 2 a.m. and Saturdays from midnight-2 a.m. (the latter is preceded by another two-hour episode of Brother William's Soul Kitchen), but the above are our unique-to-WFIU jazz offerings.

And don't forget our own Lazaro Vega's Blue Lake Radio!  There's also Seattle's KNKX, Portland's KMHD, Chicago's WDCB, and the Bay Area's KCSM, just off the top of my head.

Edited by ghost of miles

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey Stefan, a plug for my home team, which is not even close to 24/7 jazz, but here's what we have:

Monday-Thursday:  Just You And Me from 3-5 p.m. EST.  This is a live local program that I host, with new releases on Mondays, classic jazz on Tuesdays, live recordings and jazz requests on Wednesdays, and Indiana jazz (both past and present--so JJ, Wes Montgomery, Freddie Hubbard etc along with modern-day Indianapolis, IU Bloomington, and other state artists, or artists who are coming through the state) on Thursdays.  On Fridays Brother William Morris switches things up in the same time slot with The Soul Kitchen. You can stream WFIU1 live here:  WFIU

On Friday nights my colleague Mark Chilla hosts an excellent jazz-vocal program called Afterglow from 8-9 p.m.  It's pre-recorded and syndicated (WDCB-Chicago recently added it to their schedule, airing it on Wednesday evenings from 7-8 p.m. CST just before their broadcast of Night Lights), and, like Night Lights, made available for on-demand online listening as well:

Afterglow

Night Lights

We also carry WFMT's Jazz Network Friday evenings from 10 p.m. till 2 a.m. and Saturdays from midnight-2 a.m. (the latter is preceded by another two-hour episode of Brother William's Soul Kitchen), but the above are our unique-to-WFIU jazz offerings.

And don't forget our own Lazaro Vega's Blue Lake Radio!  There's also Seattle's KNKX, Portland's KMHD, Chicago's WDCB, and the Bay Area's KCSM, just off the top of my head.

So WFIU1 not 2, right?

Thanks for these, everyone!

I bought Chromecast Audio to essentially replace the tuner function of my stereo.  I bought a split rca cable to connect it to the left right inputs to my amp.  plug the other end to an outlet.  Download google home app, and it looks for the Chromecast I plugged in.  Give it a name, change some settings.  Then you can download a number of apps that work with this -- Spotify, Tidal, TuneIn, Raydio, Yatse, BlackPlayer, etc.  Connect to NPR blogs, streaming only stations, what have you.  You can also use plex to use it with wired  hard drive servers.  It apparently has 24 bit dac chip built in.  With many stations the sound is flawless.  Others you can tell it is low bit streaming.  Don't use Google Play for music streaming, as it apparently has come sound compromises.  One can hook up multiple Chromecasts in the house to all work together.

Edited by Stefan Wood

What's on WFIU2?

I'm still not used to the dividing up of the broadcast TV frequencies not translating to cable (neither right nor wrong necessarily, jsut weird to be in a place where my non-cable friends (fiend, probably) are talking about shit they're watching and I don't even have access to it. Now, radio is doing it, whoa, I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

35 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What's on WFIU2?

I'm still not used to the dividing up of the broadcast TV frequencies not translating to cable (neither right nor wrong necessarily, jsut weird to be in a place where my non-cable friends (fiend, probably) are talking about shit they're watching and I don't even have access to it. Now, radio is doing it, whoa, I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

Usually the opposite of what’s on WFIU1 in terms of talk/news vs music. So if, come 4 p.m. you think, “I am not digging what this guy David is playing... and whuzzup with today’s Supreme Court decision?” you can listen to NPR’s All Things Considered on WFIU2 instead.  WFIU2 was developed as an Internet stream about 10 years ago when the industry was hoping everybody would buy HD radios. That trend never came to pass, but we did acquire a (albeit rather weak) second tower to broadcast the second channel into the inmediate Bloomington area—and the Internet stream remains active for anybody able to listen that way (as most are able to now). Here’s a page where you can toggle between the WFIU and WFIU2 schedules and see how they’re programmed: 

WFIU radio schedules

I guess this device is audio only, correct? Just asking, because I have TuneIn on my Roku, and I can do a visual searct for both podcasts and broadcast.

From my work PC, I can't tell if this link is live or not, but here is, supposedly. a list of TuneIn jazz offerings: https://tunein.com/radio/Jazz-Music-c57944/

Here's a list of euro offerings: http://www.listenlive.eu/jazz.html

I can't find a similar, handy list of other non-Euro stations, but I know they are out there.