Looking for jazz radio stations 2018

Stefan Wood

WHPK 88.5 FM Chicago streams over the web at whpk.org but is now down to 28 hours a week of jazz.  My program ZoundZ! is Mondays 6:30 to 9 pm Central Time;  there's jazz on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, Saturday and Sunday daytimes and late nights.  It's the University of Chicago station and the schedule is subject to the university's whimsies - for example, the whole station is off the air until January 7 we now go off the air at midnight all the time.

A more reliable station is WNUR (wnur.org) at Northwestern University, which has jazz every weekday morning 6 am to noon.  It has an especially fascinating program on Mondays, 10 am to noon: Writers Bloc with Art Lange and Peter Kostakis.  For one thing, they're how I discovered a Wilton Crawley CD exists.

Two other especially good programs. A number of radio stations around the country carry Steve Cushing's 5-hour program Blues Before Sunrise each week.  It's about 70% or so blues (1920s to '60s) and the rest is older jazz, mostly vocals.  And Lazaro Vega is nightly jazz host on the two Blue Lake radio stations (https://bluelake.org/radio/program_guide.php) - some of his broadcasts are live performances, typically with important artists.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you John and David. We tell our smart speaker to play Blue Lake Public Radio. Or app. Or pre-set. Jazz From Blue Lake airs Monday through Thursday 10 p.m. to 3 a.m., and Friday from 10 p.m. to noon the following Saturday morning (eastern time zone); then from midnight Sunday to 7 a.m. Sunday morning and again Sunday night from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Those are the blocks. If you want to stream an mp3 of "Jazz From Blue Lake," each hour of the previous night's show is found under "Daily Shows" at www.bluelake.org/ondemand. The live material John speaks of, including recent in studio performances by John Lindberg with Teiku, and Josh Berman with The Bridge, and the young saxophonist Peter Formanek, a recent graduate from the University of Michigan school of music, with Teiku as well as a compelling duet performance with pianist Josh Harlow, are also found at the on-demand page under "Studio Performances." Lots of links there. Jazz From Blue Lake streams live nightly starting at 10 p.m. eastern from www.bluelake.org/listen. Night watch.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

On 12/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, JSngry said:

Major bummer...apparently Tune In has force-fed an app update to my Roku, which means that some of the older, but still active stuff I had stored as favorites is gone...including WBGO2...now they only have WBGO1..this is not progress?

Whoops?  Can't you manually add it?

Raydio is an excellent app that I have been using to get the stations all of you have  mentioned.  I can bookmark the stations and flip through them.  Sound quality through ChromeCast Audio is very good to outstanding, depending on the station.  Been listening to Chicago and San Francisco's jazz stations a lot.

Not on my particular Roku app. Granted, my roku is an older one, so maybe that's it. But I recently updated my phone, and the Tune In app there wanted to charge a monthly fee straight out the gate. I ain't got time for all that. It's a phone, and I got records.

I'll look for Raydio on my Roku and, maybe, on my phone.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

do you know about radio.garden (thats the exact address) its a map of the world and you can focus in on any online station- its interesting!

Blue Lake is now on Radio Garden: http://radio.garden/live/twin-lake-mi/blue-lake-public-radio/?fbclid=IwAR06aSQy0vaDPEoZYLdRh0KJpK5WoNx9VdzbhTA4J6oNBZhX33wUIcpILko

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not on my particular Roku app. Granted, my roku is an older one, so maybe that's it. But I recently updated my phone, and the Tune In app there wanted to charge a monthly fee straight out the gate. I ain't got time for all that. It's a phone, and I got records.

I'll look for Raydio on my Roku and, maybe, on my phone.

If you have an iPhone Raydio may not be available for it.  I can get it on my Android phone thru Google Play.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:15 AM, Stefan Wood said:

Raydio is a worthwhile app to download.  On it there's Shoutcast and Onrad.io.  I use Onrad.io to search for and bookmark stations.  You also have the option, through the My Stations tab on the bottom, to lock in on certain streaming site by typing in the URL address.

I just got to this (the app), SO easy to install and use!

What's a good "modern classical" station(s)? I'll gladly include "new music" in that description.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, JSngry said:

I just got to this (the app), SO easy to install and use!

What's a good "modern classical" station(s)? I'll gladly include "new music" in that description.

Jim,

Can't believe I forgot to mention BBC Radio 3! Was reminded after reading posts on the streaming thread. Some of the biggest new music fans I know are habitual listeners. [Added: currently listening to their jazz show "J to Z" and it's not bad at all.]

Eclectic programming incl. classical warhorses, opera, modern classical, jazz.

For instance: Monday 3/4/19 Afternoon Concert, Ligeti and Libby Larsen.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Jim,

Can't believe I forgot to mention BBC Radio 3! Was reminded after reading posts on the streaming thread. Some of the biggest new music fans I know are habitual listeners. [Added: currently listening to their jazz show "J to Z" and it's not bad at all.]

Eclectic programming incl. classical warhorses, opera, modern classical, jazz.

For instance: Monday 3/4/19 Afternoon Concert, Ligeti and Libby Larsen.

Sounds/lloks like a greatt resource, but I can't find it in Raydio. Yet.