Mike Nesmith Sings Claude Thornhill

Teasing the Korean

Wow! Very nice, but you've got to remember that the Monkees were a Hollywood recreation of a rock group, and they had studio guys, songwriters, and arrangers that were superb musicians. Gene Puerling's roommate in the Hi-Los was writing vocal arrangements for The Association ("Cherish") , Harry Nilsson was writing songs for them, so who knows who was involved in this arrangement...

3 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Wow! Very nice, but you've got to remember that the Monkees were a Hollywood recreation of a rock group, and they had studio guys, songwriters, and arrangers that were superb musicians. Gene Puerling's roommate in the Hi-Los was writing vocal arrangements for The Association ("Cherish") , Harry Nilsson was writing songs for them, so who knows who was involved in this arrangement...

Nesmith's son did nearly everything but the lead vocal!  This album was released this year. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Yeah it's a new album that came out this year.  Michael Nesmith only appears on two tracks. Davy Jones appears on two tracks.  His vocal tracks were recorded back in 1991 and I guess they fleshed out arrangements around those.  Peter Tork sounds positively awful on his one track.  The balance of the album is Micky Dolenz singing a variety of new Christmas material written by the likes of Andy Partridge, Rivers Cuomo, Alex Chilton, etc.  No two members of the Monkees appear on any one single track together here.

I'm a big Monkees fan, but my initial reaction to this album is not positive.

6 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Yeah it's a new album that came out this year.  Michael Nesmith only appears on two tracks. Davy Jones appears on two tracks.  His vocal tracks were recorded back in 1991 and I guess they fleshed out arrangements around those.  Peter Tork sounds positively awful on his one track.  The balance of the album is Micky Dolenz singing a variety of new Christmas material written by the likes of Andy Partridge, Rivers Cuomo, Alex Chilton, etc.  No two members of the Monkees appear on any one single track together here.

I'm a big Monkees fan, but my initial reaction to this album is not positive.

My wife is a Monkees fan and she thinks it's really good.  I've heard only "Snowfall," though I'm sure I will end up hearing the whole thing over the holidays. 

7 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

My wife is a Monkees fan and she thinks it's really good.  I've heard only "Snowfall," though I'm sure I will end up hearing the whole thing over the holidays. 

I guess my opinion is "slightly disappointed, but neutral overall".  I really liked their album from last year in which they basically did a similar thing -- each member created some original tracks, new material was written for the band by contemporary songwriters and a couple of old Davy Jones vocals were dusted off and properly outfitted.  Maybe my hopes were too high for this Christmas album, but it did not meet my expectations.  Perhaps next year I will feel differently about it.  But not about Peter Tork's godawful version of "Angels We Have Heard On High".  That was just painful to hear.

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

First of all, it's hard to screw up a song as good as "Snowfall".  I like the harmony, but I don't hear anything that even rmotely reminds me of Mike Nesmith's voice.  Is that reallly him?

It is indeed Nesmith singing.  Most people in their 70s don't sound like they did in their 20s.

8 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Every musical artist I've ever cared about is in his/her 70s, 80s, 90s, or dead! 

Nesmith seemed to be the only member of the Monkees that wasn't just about show biz. He opened up his own recording studio, and recorded some pretty hip people there.

Judee Sill's last album was recorded there, but she OD'd before they could add any string or orchestral tracks to it,( or mastering), so it was essentially just a demo tape.

They got Jim O'Rourke to do some work on it, but I don't think it was what JS would've wanted done.

58 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Nesmith seemed to be the only member of the Monkees that wasn't just about show biz. He opened up his own recording studio, and recorded some pretty hip people there.

Judee Sill's last album was recorded there, but she OD'd before they could add any string or orchestral tracks to it,( or mastering), so it was essentially just a demo tape.

They got Jim O'Rourke to do some work on it, but I don't think it was what JS would've wanted done.

All true, but all of the Monkees were all gifted in their own way.  If you can find me a singer as good as Mickey, he's hired.

As for Mike, I think he's more important than Gram Parsons, and the three albums he did with the First National Band on RCA - the red, white, and blue albums, respectively - are brilliant.   If those were the only things he did, he would still be remembered.  

Nez just booked a show here just a few weeks out, 'and the hits keep on comin'" in full as a duo+ special guest the guy from indie band 'death cab for cutie', i want to go but it dont 45 dollars want to go. I have the album, im going to give it a re-listen to see if id really want to  Monkees 2013 with nez was by far one of the best rock concerts ive ever seen