Dodo Marmarosa – On The Coast 1945-1947 & 1952

JSngry

R-12896069-1544044201-2287.jpeg.jpg

Those here who ordered through Tommy already have it. I did, and I do, and I am loving it. Very much "swing to bop"-ish, a pleasure in every way. A surging Lucky Thompson ALL over the place (what a shame that him & Byas never(?) took on each other during this time frame) , a palpable sense of NOW remains in the spirit of the playing, and I very much like how they're left the broadcasts intact. Those announcers are always a trip, and cutting them out is never a good thing, imo, you lose the natural flow of the performance as it was occurring.

But...Frankie Laine "blues singer of the year"??????????? And are we really hearing the introduction of Frankie Laine to Atlas records, right there on mike?

No matter, this is an excellent "historical release".

great stuff; some beautiful Dodo though, as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't particularly like the notes and would question his judgement on early bebop piano. But essential for the music (and some very nice Jackie Mills, though also some really bad Jackie Mills, who seems to get carried away on the first session).

Yeah, not too crazy about the liners either, but, you know, they're optional reading.

And I've heard about the importance/influence of early Frankie Laine more than I've explored it. Is there a good compilation of his pre-Mercury recordings? If there is. I can't find it.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

And I've heard about the importance/influence of early Frankie Laine more than I've explored it. Is there a good compilation of his pre-Mercury recordings? If there is. I can't find it.

This Atlas label compilation on the (recently) much-maligned Acrobat reissue label ^_^has two tracks featuring Frankie Laine with The Three Blazers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boogieology-Atlas-Records-Various-Artists/dp/B00009YX7W/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1545560388&sr=8-1

I was never much of a fan of Frankie Laine (though I somehow like his album with Buck Clayton)  but I remember reading Arnold Shaw's "The Rockin' Fifties" a looong time ago and in the chapter on white pre-rock'n'roll artists he devotes quite a bit of space to Frankie Laine as the prime exponent of the vocalists labeled "belters" (which makes him sound much, much more energetic and rockin' than I had ever perceived him).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liner notes of Dodo say produced by Robert E. and David A. Sunenblick. Uptown website is gone but company still exists.

This double CD has previously unissued Lucky Thompson.

Lucky Thompson and Don Byas can be heard together on Storyville (Dan.) CD 1018439 — Timme's Treasures (2015) and on some bootlegs recorded in the home of Timme Rosenkrantz in 1944. See part 1 of my Lucky Thompson discography: https://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson-discography-1943-1950/ Byas is not listed on the Storyville CD.

• 1 month later...

Just finished listening to this.  Very nice; a great effort.  I had one track ("Mellow Mood") on a New World compilation, and the 9/13/46 date (which includes "Commercial Eyes") on a Lucky Thompson compilation called "Smooth Sailing" on Indigo.

One frustration: as of today, the info for "On The Coast" has not been uploaded to Gracenote/CDDB.  I had to enter it all into iTunes manually.  Grrrrr.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, cohens2 said:

Liner notes of Dodo say produced by Robert E. and David A. Sunenblick. Uptown website is gone but company still exists.

This double CD has previously unissued Lucky Thompson.

Lucky Thompson and Don Byas can be heard together on Storyville (Dan.) CD 1018439 — Timme's Treasures (2015) and on some bootlegs recorded in the home of Timme Rosenkrantz in 1944. See part 1 of my Lucky Thompson discography: https://attictoys.com/lucky-thompson-discography-1943-1950/ Byas is not listed on the Storyville CD.

Unissued Lucky Thompson on this? I may need to get it then.