FS/FT: columbia jazz musician press kits

felser

Have had these for decades, no idea where I got them.   They contain a really nice 8x10 B&W glossy photo (definitely suitable for framing) and a letter describing the album and giving a bio of the artist:

Wayne Shorter - Phantom Navigator

Arthur Blythe - Blythe Spirit

Wynton Marsalis - Hot House Flowers

If you are interesting in any or all, let me know, and we should be able to work something out.  I have no idea how to price/Value them.  I am tempted to just  frame and hang them myself, but thought I would offer them up here first if they have meaning to anyone. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have rarely given much thought to saving press kits, except for some that went far beyond d a glossy artist photo and the press bio. I didn't save most of the photos though some have the outline of the CDs packed with them.

Thanks Ken, that's helpful to know.

2 hours ago, Tom in RI said:

Interested in the Arthur Blythe.

Tom, send me your address, and I'll send it out to you gratis.  I'll hang the Shorter  on a wall myself, and don't anticipate anyone here being interested in the Marsalis.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I have rarely given much thought to saving press kits, except for some that went far beyond d a glossy artist photo and the press bio. I didn't save most of the photos though some have the outline of the CDs packed with them.

I know I'd pick up ANY such press kits for LPs (that as such are of interest to me) from the 50s without flinching. The sales blurb can be very, very entertaining. And from what I used to see on eBay they ARE collectable.

I don't know about Marsalis ;) but generally I'd say that with all things paper the longer they are preserved the more they will "appreciate". ;)

I remember I obtained two sets of the Pablo press kit for the '77 Montreux festival releases at a local record shop way back when the LPs hit the shops (they had a stack just set up free for customers to take away). A folder with a huge poster (styled similarly to the typical covers from that LP series, nothing that appealing but anayway ...), a set of some 6 or 8 or 10 pages of typed promo blurb and about six glossy prints of the featured artists (Eldridge, Gillespie, Peterson etc.). I hung the photos from one set on the wall in my student room for a time, then both got filed away and eventually ended up in the "music items" box of my fleamarket stuff as they really were too "recent" to keep by all means. One (the better-preserved one of the two) found a new home rather fast at an OK price, the other I dont remember, in fact it MAY still be in the box.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I have rarely given much thought to saving press kits, except for some that went far beyond a glossy artist photo and the press bio. I didn't save most of the photos though some have the outline of the CDs packed with them.

I usually save the ones that I have written, though I did keep the one that came with the first 10 CD Billie Holiday set.