Postcard for Boston's Jazz Workshop February 1964

ghost of miles

My friend John McCluskey, a writer and retired professor who's a lifelong jazz fan, showed me this keepsake from his Harvard days in the early 1960s.  (He was Harvard's first African-American starting quarterback and was profiled in Ebony--facts that I learned from a mutual friend, as John never touts his considerable array of accomplishments.  But he is very outgoing about his love of jazz.)  Fire up the time machine!

Jazz-Workshop-1.jpgJazz-Workshop-2.jpg

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

I will take their suggestion and make reservations - what's the Area Code? And should I tell them that Varty sends me? No, wait Trane sends me, Varty sent me?

Area code is probably 617.

I was fortunate enough to see some shows at the Jazz Workshop in the mid to late 1970s.  I remember seeing Bill Evans, Art Pepper, and Milt Jackson to name a few.  In fact, I was there when Milt Jackson appeared the night that the Jazz Workshop closed.  

Here's a photo showing the Jazz Workshop and the adjacent Paul's Mall on one side and the Cinema 733 on the other side:

shapeimage_5.png