Cosi Fan Tutte

Larry Kart

Trying to find one that works across the board. The much touted '54 EMI Karajan, with a mewling Schwarzkopf, I can't stand, nor can I go for the much-touted EMI Bohm from the '60s, even though Schwarzkopf there is less mannered; Bohm's conducting is characterless, as are the men, and without their involvement there's no opera. In terms of conducting, the orchestra, and much of the cast, Jochum on DGG is superb, but Irmgard Siefried by that time sadly couldn't sing Fiordilgi, and a "Cosi" without Fiordiligi... Leontyne Price, with Leinsdorf, certainly can sing  Fiordiligi, and Troyanas is a fine Dorabella, but Sherill Milnes (blustery) and Ezio Flagello (rather faceless) are not what's needed, and while Leinsdorf is better than one might think, after you've heard Jochum... Come to think of it, I have a DVD of a modern-dress production with Barenboim that much to my surprise was quite good.

Only recording I have is the Karajan (going back to the days when I paid attention to Gramophone, the Penguin Guide and the like :angry:) which I never cared for.

If I were to pursue more recordings (which is unlikely in the near future), I'd consider Mackerras (great Mozartean conductor, don't know about the cast) on Telarc, used copies cheap at Amazon. Would also consider period instrument versions, but no names jump to mind (I never fully bought in to the Gardiner mystique, for instance).

Edited by T.D.

I love this work and kinda like the Bohm version (first one I heard), though I agree about Karajan/Schwarzkopf. My favourite is the Rene Jacobs from 1998. Have you heard that one Larry? Thoughts? Reviews seem mixed but I prefer the singing here, especially Veronique Gens (Fiordiligi) or Barbara Fink (Dorabella) over Schwarzkopf.

A friend of mine recently purchased this in a 9-CD set of the Jacobs Mozart Da Ponte Operas for much cheaper than my individual sets. A bargain I reckon!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRWLGBB/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004UIP1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=5EB0HJS356XWWGAM7X7K&pf_rd_r=5EB0HJS356XWWGAM7X7K&pf_rd_p=b4bbef4e-170e-463d-8538-7eff3394b224

Edited by Marzz

• 2 months later...

One of my favourite operas ... too bad the Karajan doesn't work, as that was probably the best Mozart opera ensemble ever (but give me Lisa Della Casa instead of Schwarzkopf please!) ... to me the Karajan sounds rushed, almost as if it were part of a race, a contest.

Some I enjoy a lot (Böhm, I know, but ...) - of the first Böhm, there are other editions, it's the 1955 recording, superior to the later one I find ... the 1974 live one is possibly the finest though.

51KHN2F19YL.jpg

51kC5XadPQL.jpg

My favorite, possibly, is the Gardiner, Roocrof/Mannion are splendid, and somehow I like Gardiner's Mozart better than Jacobs':

51TDCFTM1BL.jpg

it also exists as DVD but I've not watched it yet (not sure it's identitacal):

71duATqLK8L._SL1400_.jpg