What are your jazz wishes for 2019?

duaneiac

Here's a few of mine:

The US postal service will finally issue a Dave Brubeck commemorative stamp.

A new issue in the Sonny Rollins Road Shows series -- preferably a double disc set!

An autobiography/memoir written by Sonny Rollins.

A new big band album from Carla Bley.

That major labels like Blue Note, Verve, Columbia and Concord would once again take an interest in recording and selling new jazz music.

The revelation that the whole "Roy Hargrove is dead" news was just a hoax and that he has been in seclusion all this time working on the finest album of his career.

That Yoshi's in Oakland would present jazz performers on a regular basis once again (not gonna happen, I know, but one can wish . . .)

So what would you like to see happen in the world of jazz in the coming year?

Edited by duaneiac

In roughly decreasing order of likelihood:

Ella Fitzgerald rises from the dead.

1930s big band swing will make a surprise comeback, sweeping the charts.

A print of "Fox Movietone Follies of 1929" is found.

Mosaic or Bear or similar releases a Complete Edmond Hall set.

New Savoy Ballroom airshots are discovered.

My wish is that this stuff comes to life all over the world and the global population is terrorized by a giant flying disembodied flying Louis Armstrong head chasing everybody all over the place in gleeful anticipation of their imminent demise.

If that don't get it done, that's the last best hope for humanity and it will have failed.

I hope some record label will finally greenlight the Monty Plays Monty (aka Alexander Plays Python) album project so we can hear swinging jazz piano trio versions of "I Like Chinese", "The Lumberjack Song", "The Philosophers' Song", "Eric The Half-a-Bee", "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life", "Every Sperm Is Sacred" and "Anything Goes" (not that one, the other one).

Edited by duaneiac

8 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I hope some record label will finally greenlight the Monty Plays Monty (aka Alexander Plays Python) album project so we can hear swinging jazz piano trio versions of "I Like Chinese", "The Lumberjack Song", "The Philosophers' Song", "Eric The Half-a-Bee", "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life", "Every Sperm Is Sacred" and "Anything Goes" (not that one, the other one).

not forgetting ‘Finland, Finland...’