Bird Mosaic: Basic questions about its origins, previous issues, + stuff left out

Hi everyobdy I have some basic Bird Mosaic FAQ's that i would like cleared up if youd be so kind- 

so the 1st issue of the Benneditti material was the debut lp; Bird on 52nd st?  Followed by the takes of Dee Dees Dance on the spotlite lp, followed by the mosaic.....then theres that one acetate on birds eyes not on the mosaic (very very poor sound, even for me), and then theres even some birds eyes material that IS on the mosaic, but is an alternate transfer.  

My question is, is there anymore I'm forgetting or is there known but not-released bennedditi material.  

All the mosaic tracks are at the correct speed right, on birds eyes, you NEED them as files to digitally lower the speed. theres this one datrfe from 1947 thats a live club show and you have to lower it -10% and when you do it sounds perfect

on one of these main things (liner notes, maybe the bird discog site, i dont recall--) it said all the material could not be issued by mosaic dude to financial restrictions.....that seems odd, like something extra special benedditis brother was holding out on, is what it inferred, i think

I don't remember that in the notes, but I am far away from my booklet right now.  

It is true that "Bird on 52nd Street" has some of the Onyx recordings on the Benedetti set.  Are we sure that the Benedetti tape was the source, however?  Someone else could have also recorded the concert(s).  Alternatively Benedetti could have made a copy of it for somebody that got into the public domain.  Until the tapes were discovered for the Mosaic set, my recollection is that it was not even clear that there were any Benedetti tapes that survived.  

Edited by John L

My Mosaic booklet died in a basement flood, so I have to go on memory here. 

About the time the Mosaic was released, I interviewed Charlie Lourie about it. I remember Charlie saying there was some other Benedetti material still with a family member because they couldn't agree on financial terms. I don't remember him saying specifically that it was a Benedetti family member, but I believed at the time that was what he meant. I don't think Chan was the problem here. 

But I distinctly remember Charlie saying how touched he was when Dean's brother handed over the material that's in the set and told Charlie, "Please take care of my brother."

4 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

does anyone know anything about the song "dee dee's dance".  it never made it to the studio but its such an interesting song!

It was composed by Denzil Best, who also composed "Move" and other bop tune´s .

I remember I heard a recorded studio version of Dee Dee´s dance" on a Xanadu LP , one of those compilations "Bop Revisited". I think it was some guys from the Woody Herman Band who did some sides, I´m not sure it may have been Conte Candoli on trumpet, anyway a recorded version on that Xanadu LP exists. I haven´t listened to it for some decades, so I´m not sure who´s playing. Maybe it was a group around Chubby Jackson, that´s it is I think I remember. Chubby Jackson led a group of boppers to Sweden some months before Bird went to Sweden.....

Edited by Gheorghe

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It was composed by Denzil Best, who also composed "Move" and other bop tune´s .

I remember I heard a recorded studio version of Dee Dee´s dance" on a Xanadu LP , one of those compilations "Bop Revisited". I think it was some guys from the Woody Herman Band who did some sides, I´m not sure it may have been Conte Candoli on trumpet, anyway a recorded version on that Xanadu LP exists. I haven´t listened to it for some decades, so I´m not sure who´s playing. Maybe it was a group around Chubby Jackson, that´s it is I think I remember. Chubby Jackson led a group of boppers to Sweden some months before Bird went to Sweden.....

I have that particular Bebop Revisited on cd. It was Chubby Jackson’s Fifth Dimensional Jazz Group: Conte Candoli, Frank Socolow, Lou Levy, Terry Gibbs, Jackson, Denzil Best, recorded in Sweden, January 20, 1948.  The cd, as well as the lp (I have most of the other lps in the series) show up on eBay from time to time. 

There was an earlier studio (!) recording by Clyde Hart's Hot Seven for a Savoy 78, on December 19, 1944, Benny Harris (tp) Herbie Fields (as,ts) Budd Johnson (ts) Clyde Hart (p) Chuck Wayne (g) Oscar Pettiford (b) Denzil Best (d) - reissued on the double LP The Changing Face Of Harlem, also on the Budd Johnson Chronological Classics CD. They were originally recorded for Continental and so are not in Mosaic Savoy Box.

There is another one by a Red Norvo Group but I haven't heard this and can't say that it's the same tune, a transcription recording on June 23, 1944. 

R-3354171-1327148690.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Changing-Face-Of-Harlem/release/3354171

41AWW17P5ZL.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

18 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

There is another one by a Red Norvo Group but I haven't heard this and can't say that it's the same tune, a transcription recording on June 23, 1944. 

It IS the same tune. I am not sure it is a transcription recording (but apparently was recorded at World Transcription studios). It was issued on Brunswick 80104 (coupled with Blue Skies) and was therefore reissued later on MCA.

This was on the very first Red Norvo LP I ever bought way back at age 16 or 17 - a couple of years before I snapped up "The Changing Face of Harlem" when it hit the record stores. So the Norvo version is the one that got me hooked on this tune (which IS catchy ...).
https://www.quora.com/Jazz-Music-Who-all-is-playing-on-Red-Norvos-recording-of-Dee-Dees-Dance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Norvo-Sextet-BRUNSWICK-80104-Blue-Skies-Dee-Dees-Dance-E-E-/323255398020