Pittsburgh Jazz Film?!

Dan Gould

Hey Dan,

This wonderful movie was shown briefly on PBS and I managed to see it - hope you can catch it somehow/somewhere.  We need more films/documentaries on the cities and musicians where jazz thrived at one time.  I also recommend The Jazz Loft audio series on WNYC radio:  https://www.wnyc.org/jazzloftthemovie/

...and then, you can rent or purchase the Jazz Loft movie here: 

or on amazon or itunes.  Monk, David Amram, Bill Crow and so many others were interviewed and there are many extraordinary photos, as the man mostly responsible for the Jazz Loft "scene" was the great photographer, W. Eurgene Smith.  Marla

16 minutes ago, makpjazz57 said:

Hey Dan,

This wonderful movie was shown briefly on PBS and I managed to see it - hope you can catch it somehow/somewhere.  We need more films/documentaries on the cities and musicians where jazz thrived at one time.  I also recommend The Jazz Loft audio series on WNYC radio:  https://www.wnyc.org/jazzloftthemovie/

...and then, you can rent or purchase the Jazz Loft movie here: 

or on amazon or itunes.  Monk, David Amram, Bill Crow and so many others were interviewed and there are many extraordinary photos, as the man mostly responsible for the Jazz Loft "scene" was the great photographer, W. Eurgene Smith.  Marla

Hi Marla, looks like you are lucky to have caught the Pittsburgh film!  All I can see on youtube is the preview it would be good if the filmmakers could make it available somewhere for streaming as it seems to have come and gone from broadcast tv.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 9:09 AM, makpjazz57 said:

Hey Dan,

Keep an eye on your local PBS station.  I think one or both of the Ashby Brothers had something to do with the film, too.  Really hoping you can catch it and sorry I didn't keep a copy.

Marla

I didn't think this was likely to happen, either because I wouldn't watch the listings or I'd inevitably miss if it actually aired but lo and behold I caught it a few weeks ago and have it saved on the DVR.

And you all can watch now too because I discovered its up on youtube:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 9:49 AM, JamesAHarrod said:

Marc Myer's JazzWax recently featured this documentary from 2018. It is back on YouTube for those who missed it. I scrolled through quickly, didn't see a mention of Dodo? Need to watch the entire film before commenting further.

Great!  Thanks for posting this.