I recall there being a thread several years back about what us jazz listeners/collectors would like to see Mosaic issue, and although the times may be changing for CD box sets, I’d like to start the New Year with sone wishful thinking...

I picked up 4 Ricky Ford LPs recently and can’t get them off my turntable rotation which made me think of the possibility of a Complete Ricky Ford Muse Recordings, which would span at least 4-5 CDs.

Any thoughts on this or other musicians that deserve a Mosaic set?

Happy New Year to all!

Bob 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I emailed Scott Wenzel a few weeks ago about the possibility of Mosaic doing a box of the Sonny Rollins band with Don Cherry (assuming that Sonny and RCA/BMG would agree) in good sound - unlike the bootleg set that came out a couple of years ago. He said that he'd pass the suggestion along, but I doubt that anything will happen.

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

Correct.  Very good sound.

This is also a nice set:

R-4783521-1375384548-8259.jpeg.jpg

I contacted them years back about a complete Hutcherson/Land set, which could pull in the Land sets on Maintstream and Cadet, as well as the Hutcherson Blue Note titles.  I also think a Gary Bartz Milestone set would be really good.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I admit that I bought it too. Shame on me - BUT it does sound great.

I guess I'm in a minority of one here. I listened to the boot again this morning and compared it with my mono RCA LP original of Our Man in Jazz (bought shortly after it was issued) and a Classics stereo LP reissue. The boot sounds decent (somewhat bloated sound, to my ears), but not up to the standards of the others.

Mileages vary, I guess.

2 hours ago, felser said:

I contacted them years back about a complete Hutcherson/Land set, which could pull in the Land sets on Maintstream and Cadet, as well as the Hutcherson Blue Note titles.  I also think a Gary Bartz Milestone set would be really good.

OH YEAH, felser!  I'm on board for the Hutch/Land (no surprise) AND the Bartz!  :tup 

I've (we've) mentioned it before, but I'm still hoping for a Mal Waldron Victor Japan set.  It would include his collaborations with Terumasa Hino & Jackie McLean -- as well as solo sets. All hard-to-find & expensive records. All outstanding.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I think the current/new regime (as it's shaping up) is going to be less inclined to do anything that's stylistically "post-1959".

Yeah, I've noticed that too. ...and I'm sorta bummed about it. I think there's PLENTY of relatively-recent music that deserves wider exposure / the "Mosaic treatment."

But I guess it all comes down to the preferences of the guys who are running the show. I guess you can't fault them for that.

Edited by HutchFan

The Los Angeles Jazz Institute (LAJI) over the years has issued 15 CDs of previously unissued West Coast jazz sessions from the 1950's. These limited edition CDs were available only to LAJI members. The CDs would make a great Mosaic box set. Also a terrific booklet could accompany the CDs. Ken Poston is the director of the LAJI and should be contacted to see if he is interested in a Mosaic set.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again - my wish is that Mosaic would pay Steve Hoffman to master one set, preferably releasing it using SACD hybrid discs, and see how well it sells. No matter if you like his forums or not, his name on the set will attract buyers who would otherwise never even think about it.

So pick any of these suggestions (but my vote is with Jim on Bill Barron), contract Hoffman to remaster it, and see what happens. It can't really hurt sales.

I used to advocate for a Johnny Hodges 60s Verve set, but the Andorrans have reissued that material and screwed the pooch on a Mosaic set. I like the "complete label" sets (Savoy, Dial, Bee Hive). How about a complete set of Lionel Hampton's "Who's Who in Jazz" label? I think there are a number of buried treasures there, including Mingus's last recording on bass.

gregmo

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Bill Barron. Bill Barron. Bill Barron. Tell that story, get his brother involved in the annotation, do it now, do it VERY now.

totally. And though I have them all, the Bill Dixon-produced Savoys (and the few other avant-garde outliers -- Bley, Valdo, Scianni, Moffett) would make a fabulous set and if someone like Ben Young did the notes, well hey...

39 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

How about a complete set of Lionel Hampton's "Who's Who in Jazz" label? I think there are a number of buried treasures there, including Mingus's last recording on bass.

A savvy call. Some serious, possibly impossible, remastering might be needed, but other than that, yeah.