Another Sam Rivers set covering various labels (plus his own unreleased stuff) from the 1970s onwards would be good - starting with Impulse.

Shame they were never let loose on the UK Columbia Lansdowne library. The recent vinyl Rendell/Carr set put out by Jazzman would have been a shoe-in (and no doubt more available :rolleyes:).

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, bebopbob said:

I recall there being a thread several years back about what us jazz listeners/collectors would like to see Mosaic issue, and although the times may be changing for CD box sets, I’d like to start the New Year with sone wishful thinking...

I picked up 4 Ricky Ford LPs recently and can’t get them off my turntable rotation which made me think of the possibility of a Complete Ricky Ford Muse Recordings, which would span at least 4-5 CDs.

Any thoughts on this or other musicians that deserve a Mosaic set?

Happy New Year to all!

Bob 

That would be a great one! About two years ago I tried to find CD releases of the Ricky Ford albums from the late 1970s and early 1980s, and they do not exist! The albums are so strong, they deserve release.

Edited by Hot Ptah

5 hours ago, Dave James said:

As long as we acknowledge that this is all but wishful thinking, I'd like to see "targeted" Mosaic box sets from ........ Jimmy Rowles.        

You're aware that would be an awful lot of material, no matter how you try to set criteria for selection?

I'd still vote for Billy Eckstine, three (!) sets: pre-MGM, MGM, and Mercury. No less.

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

totally. And though I have them all, the Bill Dixon-produced Savoys (and the few other avant-garde outliers -- Bley, Valdo, Scianni, Moffett) would make a fabulous set and if someone like Ben Young did the notes, well hey...

I'm pretty sure I have all of them too, but those Savoys are begging for a sonic upgrade. 

Edited by corto maltese
typo

11 hours ago, felser said:

This is also a nice set:

R-4783521-1375384548-8259.jpeg.jpg

Unfortunately marred by noise reduction, like other RCA sets from those years. I sold my copy years ago.

8 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - my wish is that Mosaic would pay Steve Hoffman to master one set, preferably releasing it using SACD hybrid discs, and see how well it sells. No matter if you like his forums or not, his name on the set will attract buyers who would otherwise never even think about it.

So pick any of these suggestions (but my vote is with Jim on Bill Barron), contract Hoffman to remaster it, and see what happens. It can't really hurt sales.

Hoffman mastering Mosaic reissues would probably attract buyers who would otherwise stay away, but not me - while I liked what he did in the 1990s with his DCC jazz reissues, I didn't care much for his later Blue Note hybrid SACDs; they were too laid-back, "flat" for my taste. To my ears the Contemporary remasters he did for a Japanese outlet a couple of years ago had the same problem.

Edited by J.A.W.

As long as it's understood that this is a totally unrealistic wish list, I'll play:

Complete Recordings of Jimmie Noone. Depending on the scope (leader recordings or absolutely everything), this would run from five to seven CDs, I think.

The December Band - 1965. Legendary among New Orleans jazz fans, this was an all-star pickup band (including Kid Thomas Valentine, Captain John Handy, and Jim Robinson) that toured New England in December, 1965. There are six issued LPs (on various labels) from the tour (some under Handy's name), as well as some broadcast recordings.

Sun Ra Quartet - Italy, January, 1978. This tour produced two double albums on Horo, as well as Disco 3000, Media Dreams, and half of The Sound Mirror on Saturn, - and some other material.

Delmark - Early AACM recordings. This could get out of hand quickly in terms of number of CDs.

Sunny Murray - Complete 1960s leader sessions.

American Jazz Quintet - Complete Recordings. Pioneering New Orleans post-bop group featuring Alvin Batiste, Ellis Marsalis, and Ed Blackwell.

Boyce Brown - Complete Recordings. This would only take about two CDs, and due to its appeal and relatively low cost would probably put Mosaic on a road to a sound financial future. (Ha!)

Now pardon me while I go see to my pig, which is flying all over the yard.

Edited by jeffcrom

2 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The Mingus live at Ronnie Scotts recordings made by Columbia and never released.

A collection of the original recording sessions made for Jazztone.

The Johnny Hodges/Wild Bill Davis recordings.

The Hodges/Davis things have been issued by Lonehill, which makes a Mosaic box a dead letter, alas.

gregmo

45 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

While the pigs are in the air, we can also wish for a massive Gene Ammons Prestige box, but Mosaic hasn't ever dived into the Fantasy/Prestige/Riverside world, so that won't happen in my lifetime.

gregmo

Concord wants to save those recordings for possible inclusion in their upcoming 34-minute "Gene Ammons Plays for Lovers" special Valentine's day release.

Image result for john coltrane plays for lovers

Image result for miles davis plays for lovers

1 hour ago, crisp said:

This forthcoming set includes the full Hodges/Davis album Mess of Blues and one other album new to CD (?), Blue Hodge. First official release of these I think. The rest of the box has already been released on CD by Verve. For the current price (£9.80) it's worth it if all you want is these two albums.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, crisp said:

This forthcoming set includes the full Hodges/Davis album Mess of Blues and one other album new to CD (?), Blue Hodge. First official release of these I think. The rest of the box has already been released on CD by Verve. For the current price (£9.80) it's worth it if all you want is these two albums.

Not an official release at all; Enlightenment is a bootleg label.

4 hours ago, crisp said:

In the battle of the bootlegs, Lonehill already released Blue Hodges, which combines Blue Hodge, Blue Rabbit and about half of Blue Notes.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Not an official release at all; Enlightenment is a bootleg label.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

In the battle of the bootlegs, Lonehill already released Blue Hodges, which combines Blue Hodge, Blue Rabbit and about half of Blue Notes.

Those labels release recordings that are in the public domain in Europe, so what they're doing is perfectly legit over here, they're not bootleg labels. There's a difference. That said, I avoid them like the plague.

Edited by J.A.W.