• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, felser said:

And a poor one at that.  Don't even list personnel.

Lonehill did at least do that, along with reproductions of the original album covers and liner notes (and even added liners on the "bonus tracks"). I'm not endorsing it, but if one wants the music...... And yes, we've had this conversation about a zillion times.

gregmo

I'd like to see a Gene Ammons Prestige set of somebody gathering together all the existing LPs on planet earth regardless of condition and then parcelling them out into as many complete sets as possible and then taking what's left and making complete sets by era and so on and so on.

Either that or somebody come correct with it. Mosaic maybe, but what kind of a Gene Ammons set do you expect from them now that they're all Binglerosey and shit. And Concord...they got a 21st century business to run.

But, you know, just get a big recycled toaster oven box on your doorstep one day, open it up, and there's all these used Gene Ammons LPs, including 10", some of them fucked all to hell but with the OG labels and covers and liners, they all been lived in, and if you can't get lived in with Gene Ammons, you're not getting Gene Ammons, period, nor do you deserve to.

45 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd like to see a Gene Ammons Prestige set of somebody gathering together all the existing LPs on planet earth regardless of condition and then parcelling them out into as many complete sets as possible and then taking what's left and making complete sets by era and so on and so on.

Either that or somebody come correct with it. Mosaic maybe, but what kind of a Gene Ammons set do you expect from them now that they're all Binglerosey and ***. And Concord...they got a 21st century business to run.

But, you know, just get a big recycled toaster oven box on your doorstep one day, open it up, and there's all these used Gene Ammons LPs, including 10", some of them fucked all to hell but with the OG labels and covers and liners, they all been lived in, and if you can't get lived in with Gene Ammons, you're not getting Gene Ammons, period, nor do you deserve to.

And the shame is that Fantasy started doing some really interesting historical boxes just before they sold out to Concord.

Stitt's Bits - BeBop Recordings 1949-1952 [3 CD Box Set]

And I would add Teddy Wilson to the list, but there's a strong case to made for that one in terms of the  "traditional" Mosaic mission. Crosby/Clooney, as great as they were, not nearly as much. With Cuscuna appearing to not be as much of a driver as he once was, the "new team" does not seem to be either interested or dedicated to anything newer than that particular "sound". Sunday Gazette entries reinforce this notion that if you want "modernity" in its many guises, Cuscuna is your guy, and if you want roseybingle and shit, Scott will get it done.

I hope I'm wrong. Not about Scott, but about there being a void forthcoming on the other stuff.

Mosaic now issues so few new releases that I don't think we can generalize much about them.  As to the Crosby/Clooney boxes: I'm guessing there were commercial considerations. IIRC the Crosby was an edition of 20,000!  I haven't heard either but as to their  validity, I remember that many years ago in some  magazine's (I think Coda's) year end round-up Coleman Hawkins picked the Crosby/Clooney  RCA release "Fancy Meeting You Here" as one of his favorite Lps of the year.  

Again, no qualms about the validity of those sets, or of the Wilson, or the upcoming Armstrong. But...what kind of, for lack of a better term, "post-1959" musics/artists do we have any reasonable expectations of looking forward to/even halfway hoping for?

It seems to me that Michael was the one navigating that fork of the stream, and who's in line to take that up if/when he retires?

19 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

Neither did I. In my view your question could have been handled better in the first place.

It got handled, Organissimo board style.   Something for everyone, those who made the connection (I did, and thought it was very funny), and those who didn't.  All good.

10 minutes ago, felser said:

It got handled, Organissimo board style.   Something for everyone, those who made the connection (I did, and thought it was very funny), and those who didn't.  All good.

"Organissimo board style"… Not my style and one of the reasons I don't post here often anymore. Time for me to take a break (again).

Edited by J.A.W.

Although the current wisdom that Mosaic may not make a post 59 set may be correct, I'm not sure that can be yet written in stone. The Crosby set discussion reminds me of the discussion that we had almost 20 years ago -- time flies! -- about the Four Freshmen set. 

29 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I always considered the Four Freshmen set to be Mosaic's Norah Jones. It sold like hot cakes and kept the money coming so they could release the real sets. :)

Hmmm, interesting.  I would not have expected the Four Freshman set to have sold that incredibly well -- but then again, I have no idea at all what their demand would be like.