12 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Hmmm, interesting.  I would not have expected the Four Freshman set to have sold that incredibly well -- but then again, I have no idea at all what their demand would be like.

Given that there is still a version of the Four Freshmen out there today performing, touring and recording and that the group has an active worldwide fan club and that their fans tend to be an older and often more affluent crowd, it's probably no surprise that the set sold well.  I don't know how many of those FF albums had been reissued on CD before that Mosaic set was issued, but I'm guessing the Four Freshmen albums were some of the ones Capitol Records most often received requests from fans for a CD reissue.  I have the Mosaic set and dip into it rarely.  Granted, a little bit of them can go a long way, but they did some terrific stuff.  To be able to sing harmony like that and to be talented instrumentalists as well -- that's nothing to be dismissed out of hand, even if it is not to your musical taste.

I listened to the Beach Boys' version of "Auld Lange Syne" over the holidays and it gave me chills.  The FF influence on the BB is admitted and unmistakable and the best of the FF's recording can also give me chills like that.  The FF are not an essential part of my musical diet, but I felt an obligation to speak up on their behalf.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Hi-Lo's Trend/Starlite set, that would have been justified. But no, they give us the FFF instead.

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Given that there is still a version of the Four Freshmen out there today performing, touring and recording and that the group has an active worldwide fan club and that their fans tend to be an older and often more affluent crowd, it's probably no surprise that the set sold well.  I don't know how many of those FF albums had been reissued on CD before that Mosaic set was issued, but I'm guessing the Four Freshmen albums were some of the ones Capitol Records most often received requests from fans for a CD reissue.  I have the Mosaic set and dip into it rarely.  Granted, a little bit of them can go a long way, but they did some terrific stuff.  To be able to sing harmony like that and to be talented instrumentalists as well -- that's nothing to be dismissed out of hand, even if it is not to your musical taste.

I listened to the Beach Boys' version of "Auld Lange Syne" over the holidays and it gave me chills.  The FF influence on the BB is admitted and unmistakable and the best of the FF's recording can also give me chills like that.  The FF are not an essential part of my musical diet, but I felt an obligation to speak up on their behalf.

The four freshmen had one formula and replicated it endlessly across different songs and backgrounds. They don't impress me, never have.

Gene Puerling, otoh had a deeeeep skill set, and the early Hi-Lo's records are full of surprises, things that are seriously WTF-ish. Now sure, the "cutesy" stuff...it is what it is, but even it is loaded with some seriously crazymad writing and singing.

Gene Puerling was deep. Bow wow wow.

For a full measure, get that Singers Unlimited a capella collection, there's where the marvel is out in full force.

I'm with Jim on the Hi-Los vs the FF, but most of the Hi-Los things have been reissued on Jasmine and Collectibles. I was interested to hear that the FF set sold well. I have no idea which Mosaic sets have sold well. Maybe that's why they're contemplating that Louis Armstrong Columbia set? About the only post-'59 "jazz" artist I can imagine who might "sell" would be, maybe Cannonball Adderley's Capitol stuff?? I suppose some kind of 70s Fusion set might sell, but most of that material is still in print, isn't it??

gregmo

I'm telling you, Bill Barron is the Tina Brooks of the 21st Century!

Regarding the Hi-Los, the only disc I could find that had all of the pre-Columbia material was a 2 CD set on Jasmine that was CEDAR-ed way more than halfway to death. That material alone is not enough for a Mosaic, and the Columbia stuff gets dicey as it goes along in terms of adventurousness, but dammit, they deserve better from somebody.

Miles ahead of the competition. You gotta love a vocal group that could give Clare Fischer his head and not flinch.

I mean, hello levitation! LITERALLY!!!!!! :g

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:56 PM, kh1958 said:

If you are referring to the bootleg Sonny Rollins at the Village Gate box set, it has very good recording quality.

I, too, purchased this very good set.  How do we know it was a bootleg with no royalties to Sonny?  Is Solar Records not a legitimate label?

13 minutes ago, hbbfam said:

I, too, purchased this very good set.  How do we know it was a bootleg with no royalties to Sonny?  Is Solar Records not a legitimate label?

Solar is a boot. Someone with access to the master tapes made copies and sold them. I have my suspicions.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

On 9/19/2020 at 4:36 PM, Brad said:

The nature of the beast. 

I am impressed with your intuition, but how would I have known.  I was reading the liner notes on Mingus Revenge! and his wife was describing how she would go into record shops and take "unofficial" CDs and LPs out of the bins.  While it is likely that the owners knew, but I doubt the buyers knew they were buying music that had no benefit to the musician.  I enjoy the Sonny Box a lot, but never would have purchased if I had known.  Frustrating.

27 minutes ago, hbbfam said:

I am impressed with your intuition, but how would I have known.  I was reading the liner notes on Mingus Revenge! and his wife was describing how she would go into record shops and take "unofficial" CDs and LPs out of the bins.  While it is likely that the owners knew, but I doubt the buyers knew they were buying music that had no benefit to the musician.  I enjoy the Sonny Box a lot, but never would have purchased if I had known.  Frustrating.

Not scientific but just things I’ve noticed or feelings developed. 

1 hour ago, hbbfam said:

I am impressed with your intuition, but how would I have known.

In general: No credit given to the original license holder (something like: Produced under license from Sony).  No backstory on how this label acquired these tapes.  No one taking production/reissue credit.  No reissue engineer noted.  No interview with anyone still alive who participated in the original sessions (i.e., Sonny).  

To contrast, from Mosaic's recently released Paul Desmond box: 

Produced for release by Don Thompson, Chad Irschich and Michael Cuscuna

Original sessions produced and recorded by Don Thompson

Executive producer: John Snyder

Disc 1 – 6 remixed by Chad Irschich, Inception Sound, Toronto in 2019 from the original analog 4-track tapes

Disc 7 remixed by Gary Gray, Manta Studio, Toronto in 1975 from the original analog 4-track tapes.

Mastered by Chad Irschich

Special thanks to Noel Silverman, John Snyder, and Barry Hatcher without whom this release would not have been possible.

Design Production: InkWell, Inc.

©2019 Mosaic Records, LLC.

Printed in the U.S.A.

Tracks 1-3 and 5-7 on disc two (p) 1992 Telarc International Corp and appear by arrangement with Concord Music.

Discs 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and track 4 on disc 2 are (p) 2019 Estate Of Paul Desmond (dba Desmond Music Company).

Disc 7: A Verve Label Group release ?1976 UMG Recordings, Inc.  ©2019 Mosaic Records, LLC. Manufactured by Universal Music Enterprises, a Division of UMG Recordings, Inc. B0031354-02

But I wouldn't sweat it.  I've made my peace with releases such as these.  Bootlegs have been around since the dawn of the record industry.  It's not up to us to parse how legit a particular release is.  If Sonny (or Sony) ever releases a legit version, buy it with pleasure, especially now that you know how good is the music.  Just my point of view.

10 hours ago, medjuck said:

Maybe the upcoming Pops will sell so well that they and Sony could be convinced to do a package of the post Hot 5 and 7 big band material owned by Sony. (I'm reading Ricky Riccardi's new book so I'm having pipe dreams-- though most of what he writes about is available now.) 

Wishful thinking! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I wonder if there would be markets for...

Complete Red Garland Prestige

Complete Groove Holmes Prestige

I have a lot of Red’s CDs but that would be a great Mosaic. Since it’s Concord, don’t count on it though. 

On 9/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, medjuck said:

Maybe the upcoming Pops will sell so well that they and Sony could be convinced to do a package of the post Hot 5 and 7 big band material owned by Sony. (I'm reading Ricky Riccardi's new book so I'm having pipe dreams-- though most of what he writes about is available now.) 

If we're going back into the 20s, it would be nice to have a complete Ellington set of Sony-owned material. That old 2-cd set has lousy sound.

gregmo

7 hours ago, gmonahan said:

If we're going back into the 20s, it would be nice to have a complete Ellington set of Sony-owned material. That old 2-cd set has lousy sound.

gregmo

5 years ago miles65 (is he still around?) wrote:  The big mosaic starts with 1932. A complete Okeh, Columbia etc. set would be 4 CD's. If combined with the pre 1932 Universal material ( 3 CD's) that would give a almost complete 1925-1931. There would be a few loose ends left from Blue disc Gennett etc. 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

5 years ago miles65 (is he still around) wrote:  The big mosaic starts with 1932. A complete Okeh, Columbia etc. set would be 4 CD's. If combined with the pre 1932 Universal material ( 3 CD's) that would give a almost complete 1925-1931. There would be a few loose ends left from Blue disc Gennett etc. 

! have spoken to Scott about this in the past and he said it was on their radar.

Sony also controls the Victor masters and that would bump it to 8 CDs excluding the Universal stuff.

22 hours ago, medjuck said:

5 years ago miles65 (is he still around?) wrote:  The big mosaic starts with 1932. A complete Okeh, Columbia etc. set would be 4 CD's. If combined with the pre 1932 Universal material ( 3 CD's) that would give a almost complete 1925-1931. There would be a few loose ends left from Blue disc Gennett etc. 

Yes I'm still around.