Boy Raaijmakers (1944-2018)

clifford_thornton

Looks like the Dutch trumpeter Boy Raaijmakers (Raaymakers) has left us as well -- stalwart of the Willem Breuker Kollektief as well as a number of other groups from the mid-'60s forward. Always enjoyed his playing on record, though I never got to see him in person.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Raaymakers

from what I gather, a memorial was held in Amsterdam yesterday.

A short obituary notice was published in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant on January 3, without mentioning the date of his passing.

He was indeed a long-standing member of the WBK. Before joining Willem Breuker, he played a lot with composer-musician-visual artist Peter van der Locht  (they were both in Pierre Courbois' Free Music Quartet/Quintet). Raaijmakers and van der Locht had a short-lived band called "Group-Music" or "Group-Music International" with drummer Noel McGhie. They recorded a great abum in 1970 on which pianist Burton Greene also plays. The album's called "At Different Times"; it's a private pressing, unfortunately never reissued. I will play that record tonight in honour of Mr. Raaijmakers.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Looks like the Dutch trumpeter Boy Raaijmakers (Raaymakers) has left us as well -- stalwart of the Willem Breuker Kollektief as well as a number of other groups from the mid-'60s forward. Always enjoyed his playing on record, though I never got to see him in person.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Raaymakers

from what I gather, a memorial was held in Amsterdam yesterday.

Blessed to see the band in the late 90’s @ Tonic

41 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

A short obituary notice was published in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant on January 3, without mentioning the date of his passing.

He was indeed a long-standing member of the WBK. Before joining Willem Breuker, he played a lot with composer-musician-visual artist Peter van der Locht  (they were both in Pierre Courbois' Free Music Quartet/Quintet). Raaijmakers and van der Locht had a short-lived band called "Group-Music" or "Group-Music International" with drummer Noel McGhie. They recorded a great abum in 1970 on which pianist Burton Greene also plays. The album's called "At Different Times"; it's a private pressing, unfortunately never reissued. I will play that record tonight in honour of Mr. Raaijmakers.

yeah, that record smokes -- I have a copy as well. 

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

Sad to hear this ... got that Breuker retrospective last year and am enjoying it a lot, including Raaymakers' contributions. (Usual spelling seems to be Raaymakers, not sure there are variants in dutch, but don't think so.)

It's Raaijmakers, quite a common name in the Netherlands. "Raaymakers" (his artist's name) was for international use.

Edited by corto maltese

Just now, corto maltese said:

Its Raaijmakers, quite a common name in the Netherlands. "Raaymakers" (his artist's name) was for international use.

Oh, I understand - weird, don't think I ever noticed the proper spelling (and I'm all for ignunts learning foreign names and not dumbing it down too much ... we're not talking Chinese names or anything)!

So is it Leo Cuijpers, too? Does the "y" not exist in dutch names at all or are both variants possibley, what about Martin Van Duynhoven? (And for Piet Nordijk it's clear, never saw that with a "y")

20 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Oh, I understand - weird, don't think I ever noticed the proper spelling (and I'm all for ignunts learning foreign names and not dumbing it down too much ... we're not talking Chinese names or anything)!

So is it Leo Cuijpers, too? Does the "y" not exist in dutch names at all or are both variants possibley, what about Martin Van Duynhoven? (And for Piet Nordijk it's clear, never saw that with a "y")

Y and ij both exist in Dutch, though the Dutch variant ij is more common. By the way, it's Noordijk with double o and Cuijpers with ij, and Van Duynhoven is indeed spelt with a y. And the late footballer's name is Cruijff :)

Edited by J.A.W.

16 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Thanks, good to know! (Cuypers is the way his name is usually spelt though - but I guess that's the same as with Raaymakers then)

And sorry about misspelling Noordijk's name - I should know!

Actually, I think Leo's name was really Cuypers, which would strongly suggest his family roots were in Flanders  (Dutch speaking part of Belgium).

Cuypers is a typical Flemish name, while the most common Dutch variants are Kuipers or Kuiper, like guitarist Jan Kuiper.

24 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

Actually, I think Leo's name was really Cuypers, which would strongly suggest his family roots were in Flanders  (Dutch speaking part of Belgium).

Cuypers is a typical Flemish name, while the most common Dutch variants are Kuipers or Kuiper, like guitarist Jan Kuiper.

You're absolutely right, it's Cuypers. My mistake, I checked the wrong site.

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

It's Raaijmakers, quite a common name in the Netherlands. "Raaymakers" (his artist's name) was for international use.

And one of the Tom Dissevelt/Kid Baltan tracks when released in the U.S. was given the very sci-fi title "The Ray Makers." It was a very fortuitous last name for an electronic music pioneer.  

Dick Raaijmakers left us in 2013.  RIP.