Last round for Savoy

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brad said:

Just received an email, that today is it! Get your orders in. 

from Fred, no less. That's encouraging! Fred Pustay, he has a picture on Google, hard at work on the job!

628x471.jpg

More about Fred here: https://www.mylife.com/fred-pustay/e652021001148

Will Fred be empowered to engage in a Bill Barron conversation?

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I had never heard of Fred but it’s encouraging to see that Michael and Scott are not the only people at Mosaic. 

I first noticed Fred when they were having that big Dead/Not Dead/Dead Again?/Too Alive Now dramathon a year or so ago. Fred was the only one who had, kept, and led with a level head, no bullshit, not fidgety indecisiveness, just the facts. He became my New Mosaic Hero, and remains so unless and until.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:46 PM, AllenLowe said:

my only comment is that you are better off assembling it from the various reissues, many of which are in excellent sound. There is a fair amount of audible restoration distortion on the Mosaic samples I have heard. And a lot of it is easily available elsewhere. 

I wish Mosaic would put sample files up in better quality than those low bitrate ones via Soundcloud.  It’s nearly impossible to judge from them.  For instance, I waffled on the recent Teddy Wilson set based on those poor sounding samples.  After finally taking a chance I was glad I did....the CDs sound much better, indeed they are superb transfers.

I can’t say that the Savoy material is better or worse than previous versions, since I don’t have the Mosaic (yet), but I don’t think it’s possible to evaluate from those samples (or perhaps you have a different source, Allen?).  I’ve always liked the transfers of the Savoy material on the Japanese Denon CDs I have (despite their short running time), so perhaps I will continue to prefer them, despite the lack of “modern” debris and click removal on those older transfers.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:54 AM, tatifan said:

I wish Mosaic would put sample files up in better quality than those low bitrate ones via Soundcloud.  It’s nearly impossible to judge from them.  For instance, I waffled on the recent Teddy Wilson set based on those poor sounding samples.  After finally taking a chance I was glad I did....the CDs sound much better, indeed they are superb transfers.

I can’t say that the Savoy material is better or worse than previous versions, since I don’t have the Mosaic (yet), but I don’t think it’s possible to evaluate from those samples (or perhaps you have a different source, Allen?).  I’ve always liked the transfers of the Savoy material on the Japanese Denon CDs I have (despite their short running time), so perhaps I will continue to prefer them, despite the lack of “modern” debris and click removal on those older transfers.

yes and no - what I WAS able to hear were the classic noise reduction distortions that happen when trumpet (and other brass) is over-processed - a kind of harsh, guttural,"chchchc" sound that shouldn't be there no matter what the format. 

On 1/31/2019 at 10:12 AM, AllenLowe said:

yes and no - what I WAS able to hear were the classic noise reduction distortions that happen when trumpet (and other brass) is over-processed - a kind of harsh, guttural,"chchchc" sound that shouldn't be there no matter what the format. 

I know what you're talking about, and since I've taken a leap at that last pressing I guess I'll eventually be able to compare the actual finished product to the sample.  I describe that manner of distortion as a kind of "venetian blind" effect in brass or other material with a lot of sibilance.  Being a bit of a weekend warrior dabbling in some transfer work, what I find is that the software that only does de-clicking avoids this, but that de-crackling can easily lead to such artifacts. Personally, I prefer to not use de-crackling processing and am happy enough without it.  Overuse of de-clicking is certainly a problem as well, but usually signs of that are more of a "rubbery" feeling to attacks and lack of clear transients.  Certainly the software is improving, but the ears of the engineer are the most important factor!

Which particular track(s) seem afflicted in the samples?  Do you agree that the Teddy Wilson set IS well done?  Of course, vastly different source material was available for that.