Last round for Savoy

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked my email and saw two messages from Mosaic also; one stating this will ship.

Question though; I placed an order for this on the phone a few months ago (had to use up a few gift cards), so will Mosaic send out a separate shipping email for phone orders?

I don’t recall ever ordering anything that was on backorder before. 

-G

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Dharmajazz

5 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

What this set does show is that Bird was way superior to anything else Savoy recorded in the forties. I would describe this set as an academic bore.

I really wouldn't say so. I don't have the set but I do have about 80 to 90% of what's on it on vinyl (mostly those Savoy twofers from the late 70s and 80s).

I may be biased as I am quite a bit into bebop but I really do enjoy a huge lot of it for what it is - on a par with what was out on Dial, some early BN and other 40s labels. Bird definitely was in a league of his own and often is beyond comparison but the "rest" was much, much more than just also-rans IMHO. And that's not only Fats Navarro or Dexter Gordon ...

By YOUR yardstick you might as well claim that once you go beyond 2, 3 or 4 "key" hard bop acts the rest was just an "academic bore" too. "Just blowing sessions rambling on and on  and not much more ..." ;)

(In more ways than one, in fact I do find a lot of the 40s bebop recordings more rewarding than not all that few hard bop sessions. The 3-minute limitations of the bebop 78 rpm era turned many of these into condensed, extremely intense musical "miniatures" whereas I find quite a few hard bop sessions did not just "stretch out" but really overstretched things. Anyway ... "to each his own ..." and "one man's meat ...";))

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Brad said:

An academic bore? :o  Care to elaborate? 

I revered to this post.

On 21-3-2019 at 1:51 PM, Shrdlu said:

What this set does show is that Bird was way superior to anything else Savoy recorded in the forties. I would describe this set as an academic bore.

• 3 weeks later...

The set just arrived. No customs charge. Declared value $15 😀. But more important. The number on the book is 1673 of 5000. This is incredible low taking into account that it is from the last repressing batch. So 2000 maximum for the upcomming Woody Herman set may prove to be just right.