Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings

There was a postcard for this in the Jazz Congress guest bag--release date is now March 29, evidently.  I'm inclined to pass, given that I have all of this material in at least two different collections, but an eventual bargain price might persuade me to pick it up:

Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out about this JApan-Only LP from 1977, which at the time was a very good idea: https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-Gleanings/release/4425166

R-4425166-1364533531-2578.jpeg.jpg

Notes

Gleanings is a record compilation released only in Japan by Nippon Columbia in 1977.
It is a collection of material dating from 1963 to 1965 recorded by Coltrane in the period in which he was under contract with Impulse! Records. The album was released only for the Japanese market.

Released with obi and insert.
Green ABC-Impulse label.
Japanese pressing from 1977.

Track A1 previously issued on The Definitive Jazz Scene Volume 1.
Track A2 previously issued on The Definitive Jazz Scene Volume 3.
Track A3 previously issued on The Definitive Jazz Scene Volume 2.
Track B1 previously issued on The New Wave In Jazz.
Track B2 previously issued on New Thing At Newport.

16 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I have the Prestige box set, so I’ll pass. 

I reallylike the three smaller Prestige sets that Fantasy put out right before they sold out (in every sense) to Concord, and settled on those and sold the big 16-CD set.  So no need for this, which appears to be selling for about $70.  I also really liked the Miles Davis Prestige Classic Quintet box and the Bill Evans Village Vanguard box they did, and wish they could have finished those catalogs with similar corresponding boxes.   Concord certainly won't.

Image result for coltrane fearless leader box set

Image result for coltrane interplay box set

Image result for coltrane side steps box set

1 hour ago, felser said:

I reallylike the three smaller Prestige sets that Fantasy put out right before they sold out (in every sense) to Concord, and settled on those and sold the big 16-CD set.  So no need for this, which appears to be selling for about $70.  I also really liked the Miles Davis Prestige Classic Quintet box and the Bill Evans Village Vanguard box they did, and wish they could have finished those catalogs with similar corresponding boxes.   Concord certainly won't.

Image result for coltrane fearless leader box set

Image result for coltrane interplay box set

Image result for coltrane side steps box set

I have all 3 of those. :tup

13 hours ago, medjuck said:

If they want to re-package  things why don't they do a single cd release of the December 24, 1954 session with Miles, Monk and Bags and include the conversations. It would all fit on one disc. 

Joe, what you refer to is Disc #2 of the Monk Prestige box.  I agree that they should issue it separately.

I was glad to see them issue the 2-CD set of all of the Miles with Newk Prestige recordings.  I gave that to a friend for her birthday recently, and she was appreciative.

8 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Joe, what you refer to is Disc #2 of the Monk Prestige box.  I agree that they should issue it separately.

I was glad to see them issue the 2-CD set of all of the Miles with Newk Prestige recordings.  I gave that to a friend for her birthday recently, and she was appreciative.

Didn't know that. The dialogue is left off this session in the old  Miles box. There could be some interesting notes with a single cd. 

The only dialogue it has is after the breakdown to the intro of "The Man I Love", the hey rudy put this on a record ALL of it, how much more is there?

They got all of it on this LP. When I bought it, my hifi had a  mono switch, and I used it when I felt like it.

It's less than an hour. Lot of music for an LP, for a CD, should be easy. But this whole OJC craze...sometimes there were later reissues that gave better value. This was one of them. They should've OJC-ed it at some point.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

But this whole OJC craze...sometimes there were later reissues that gave better value. This was one of them. They should've OJC-ed it at some point.

You're talking about Prestige 7650 that you showed the above cover? I would have thought this reissue happend before OJC  ... I bought this LONG beore there were any OJC's (at least in OUR record shops).  It's the German license pressing (exactly same cover, Bellaphon label, i.e. probably pressed in the 70s) and I think I bought this in 1985 or so along with one or two other Miles Davis "classic quintet" reissues on Bellaphon.

Got the three fantasy releases Fearless Leader, Interplay and Side Steps and I really like those. Nice packing, nice artwork, nice booklet, nice sound. No need for this weird release. Why begin in 1958? Or have I missed the other releases?

Prestige had several LP series compiling sessions from the 1950's in a more completist manner than the so-called "orginal LPs", which often were scattered collections of material first released on 78s, EPs, or 10-inch LPs. As with other labels tracks were left off for time limitations, or simply overlooked, or takes were exchanged. So the "Original Jazz Classics" copied all those often haphazard compilations, just like the Japanese had done. 

There was a "Jazz Classics Series" of which the Miles LP JSngry pictured is a fine example, because it presented a complete session spread over several earlier issues, and there was a "Historical Series" that also completed sessions from the pre-12-inch era. The OJC series was a child of the LP era and modelled, as I said, after Japanese reissue concepts approaching the LP like a fetish. In the CD era they often seized the opportunity to complete sessions by adding bonus material, but more often they didn't. The more famous a musicians, the more likely it was they left an "original" (12 inch) LP intact; The James Moody Prestige sessions are a prime example for a perfect completed reissue. Here are examples for the "Historical Series", which also reissued older music recorded for other labels:

https://www.discogs.com/label/305455-Prestige-Historical-Series

The Jazz Classics seies could be seen as a precursor the the OJC series:

https://www.discogs.com/label/316918-Jazz-Classics-Series

On 1/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, jlhoots said:

I have all 3 of those. :tup

Me too.  About the only way to make sense of that volume of material is to break it down in some way.  Leader-dates, colabs, and sideman appearances *isn't* a half bad way to do it.  Nor is separating everything out by year, to be perfectly honest.  Just something (anything) to add some logic to a what would otherwise be too overwhelming a sized set (of everything).  At least for me.

10 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Prestige had several LP series compiling sessions from the 1950's in a more completist manner than the so-called "orginal LPs", which often were scattered collections of material first released on 78s, EPs, or 10-inch LPs. As with other labels tracks were left off for time limitations, or simply overlooked, or takes were exchanged. So the "Original Jazz Classics" copied all those often haphazard compilations, just like the Japanese had done. 

There was a "Jazz Classics Series" of which the Miles LP JSngry pictured is a fine example, because it presented a complete session spread over several earlier issues, and there was a "Historical Series" that also completed sessions from the pre-12-inch era. The OJC series was a child of the LP era and modelled, as I said, after Japanese reissue concepts approaching the LP like a fetish. In the CD era they often seized the opportunity to complete sessions by adding bonus material, but more often they didn't. The more famous a musicians, the more likely it was they left an "original" (12 inch) LP intact; The James Moody Prestige sessions are a prime example for a perfect completed reissue. Here are examples for the "Historical Series", which also reissued older music recorded for other labels:

https://www.discogs.com/label/305455-Prestige-Historical-Series

The Jazz Classics seies could be seen as a precursor the the OJC series:

https://www.discogs.com/label/316918-Jazz-Classics-Series

Good points, but the Discogs listing of the "Historical" series is a HUGE mess. They haphazardly mix the US Prestige and German Bellaphon releases (and other pressings of the same LP) instead of listing them as different pressings of one and the same release/reissue, as they (correctly) do with other LPs. .This would have given a much better overview as each release would have appeared only once in the listing linked above. BTW, the listing is still incomplete. "Trumpet Jive" feat. Rex Stewart and Wingy Manone (PR7812/BJS40159) is missing, for example.

I remember this series well and bought many of them in the shops in my early collecting days (they remained in print for a long time as you may remember). A lot of these reissues were my introduction to the artists (e.g. "Mating Call"), though quite a bit of the material was also reissued elsewhere (e.g. on the Prestige/Milestone twofer series) in more compehensive form soon after, so if i had the choice I went for the twofers.

The "older music" recorded for "other labels" is quite an odd mix IMO. The "Trumpet Jive" LP mentioned above features 4 Rex Stewart tracks done for (UK) Parlophone and 8 WIngy Manone tracks done for the Joe Davis indie. Where's the link there? It still is FINE music and was an ear opener at its time. E.g. the Walter Foots Thomas LP (that also had material from the Joe Davis label) and includes what still are some of my favorite late swing era small band sessions. Of course the Joe Davis reissues have long since been superseded by the LP reissues on Krazy Kat. I never quite figured out how the French Vogue releases ended up on Prestige either. This created more discographical messes. I remember I more than once pulled the Clifford Brown LPs from the bins, hoping for new material, only to find all this had also been reissued comprehensively on a UK Vogue 3-LP set that I had bought years before and Prestige added nothing new. Reissue redundancy wherever you looked ... and so much more unreissued at that time ... (e.g. the material that Prestige leased from Metronome in their early days).